Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    This feels like a troll post.... But my love for this game will let it slide. No it's not hack and slash, not even a little bit, its an RPG, with almost turn based but not quite mechanics. It probably couldn't be less like wow. It's a real game with a real story and deep characters. The ipad is a great place to start because the only negative on the control scheme is movement related and the way the gameplay works, it won't negatively affect your ability to play it. Plus it can sometimes be a huge pain in the neck to get this game to run on a newer pc.

2. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    What from a TA plays do you need to make your buying decision?

3. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    nothing. i just like to watch them play...

4. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Just curious is all. They play a little on an ign video and the only thing that is wrong with it (out of combat movement) is not something you can show while streaming the screen ha ha.

5. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Did you just say WoW doesn't have a deep story and characters? True you can play through WoW without really getting deep into the story or hardly noticing the text, but if you take the time the warcraft universe has a deep story and history which is continually written mostly by other real authors, not just developers. It's just as deep of a universe as Star Wars is.

6. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Insta-buy, no brainier. $9.99 well spent to own this epic Star Wars RPG game on your iPad. Lots of replay value. Which path will you choose, the Light or the Dark side? No Freemium crap here.

7. goeagles5039

goeagles5039 Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I was being serious, sorry if I offended you.

8. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Deep back story and actual story in the game itself are two different things. Hundreds of single paragraph fetch quests is not the same as dialogue driven decision making fully voice acted story focused game. They each have their place, but wow isn't even on the same planet, even the failure that is swtor mmo still has fully voiced dialogue and choice trees. It's a whole completely different kind of story.

9. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm not offended, just the idea that someone would know so little about this game to think it was anything at all like wow kind of threw me for a loop. When you play it, it is essentially mass effects older brother, a little more old school and a lot more RPG and slower paced. No twitch gameplay here.

10. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    i played kotor 1 and 2 on the pc many years ago... I think i will buy the game if they implement a virtual stick for walking.

for the price. I think its a no brainer and i would welcome much more "premium" games. the free to play system is just wrong...

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Created a custom char and I've just got to Taris, I was a little skeptical of the control method but (so far) its working very well indeed and better than a virtual stick.

This is the bargain of the year at £6.99

If you're on the fence, get off now, this is a no brainer, epic classic!!!

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    To give a bit more detail about the game, it is a role playing game (RPG) based on dice and various character attributes to enhance or detract from the roll. You don't actually use dice or see dice in the game, but the underlying game is using these mechanics to calculate the outcome of each hit, lock pick and persuasive text.

The battles are not quite real-time. You preselect what attack you want to make and can even queue up several in a row. The game kind of halts at the beginning of a battle to let you figure out how you want to handle the situation. I think this is an option you can turn off if you don't want the game flow to stop.

The game gives you choices on how to handle different things. Do you try to help someone? Walk away? Fight them? Your actions determine how the characters in your party respond and treat you. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the character interaction. You are allowed two other characters to join you when you are on a planet. Their interactions can be quite funny and enjoyable. So you actually get a different experience and storyline depending on who you take along with you on your excursions. The major choice is whether you want to be light or dark. But there is still an overall plot and storyline you can't change.

There is lots of reading/dialogue which brings a lot of depth to the game. So be prepared for storyline.

I can't recall how many hours I put into the PC game, but maybe 50-60. With lots of replay value in there.

13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    So the fact that there is a voice actor makes it a story? Ok

14. Alphos2000

Alphos2000 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Just two minutes took me to modify the game to play it in other language. Only replacing a 5 MB file. I can't understand why Aspyr didn't do it by themselves, but they are throwing away lots sales from Spain, Germany, France... They don't have to translate the game, it is already done since 2003!

[​IMG]

15. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    So I Emailed Apsyr about universal support and got this response:

Aspyr Technical Support, May 31 09:43 am (CDT):
    There are not plans to implement support for any other devices besides the iPad 2, 3, 4, and iPad mini.

Thank you.
    Aspyr Support

16. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Amazing job! A lot of people would be very thankful for your help. Some people are going nuts about the lack of subtitles in iTunes.

17. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Your dealing with an idiot bruv, the other dude is right about him. Go check out some of the garbage he spouts, think he's on tablets lots of them!

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    No doubt that if I had an iPad I'd be all over this, but for some reason I still have more fondness for the more action oriented Star Wars games like Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II: Outcast and the Rogue Squadron games. Would love to see those ported to iOS.

19. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    No,the fact that it's from Bioware makes it a story.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I guess since it's based on the PC version, it's dead easy to replace the files you mention. The problem I see is that you might find something which doesn't exactly match an iPad, but a PC. For example, in the pic you show it's talking about clicking with the left button. That is PC-specific.

Nonetheless, I guess the most you'll find is some texts which don't adapt 100% to the iPad, possibly more related to menus, help/tutorial than the story itself. So for someone who doesn't dominate English, it's more acceptable to have those language files than the iPad-specific. Maybe Aspyr could put the PC language files available for download from their servers? ;) I'm sticking to the English language version though, even though my mother tongue is Spanish.