Universal Star Warfare 2: Payback (by Freyr Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 1, 2014.

1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    So, is it online only?

2. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    No
    Ofline and online the true aspect of mobile gaming

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    This is a great little game to pick up when you're bored. I'll be keeping this for a while on my iPad. I played the other games and it's the same just reminded me I loved them too. Might download them again as I really enjoyed this series.

I highly recommend this if you want some fun. You do get tired of it after a while but that goes for all games.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    MFi by chance, or possibility later?

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #25 Nekku, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    You can play it in offline mode but that also means you'll miss out on Co-Op, PvP mode and last but not least daylie login bonuses like Cash or Mythril.
    I think Co-Op and PvP is the most fun especially fighting big bad bosses but unfortunately I couldn't find any other players yet which is normal I guess. Someone knows if servers are region based?
    However, Co-Op mode has an much higher multiplier for cash and loot based on how many players are in your group.

I wish I could resize/move the buttons cuz they are way to large on an iPad. With added Skills and Void buttons there isn't much room left for swiping the camera. Therefore I can't lower sensitivity that much.

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same here. The more i play this, the larger the GUI felt on the ipad air. Also, i think it wasnt optimized coz there are a few GUI elements that are outside the screen.

On the other hand, the gameplay is fantastic, and i've played a few multiplayer matches and really enjoyed them.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Only played a few minutes, but this is noticeable already:

Is that just me (on iPad Air), or does anyone else get the impression that overall visibility / battlefield overview is a lot less than in the first game?
    It feels as if my soldier takes up almost half the screen, blocking out a much larger area than in SW1.
    The aliens feel a lot bigger too, compared to SW1.
    I cannot really pinpoint it, but everything feels smaller and more cramped than in SW1, despite the first 3 maps being quite large and open.

Need to make some time to check against the first game to be sure about this.

Other than that, first impression is good. The aliens look better, there seems to be an actual story, and the one vehicle I jumped into was real fun to drive around and blow up aliens.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Do you still have to buy bullets?

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Every weapon I've bought so far has an infinite amount of bullets. There is no indicator for ammo anywhere.

No, it's not just you.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome, I might be able to enjoy this now

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I mentioned it looked liked it had too big GUI, but yeah, everything actually felt too zoomed in on the ipad air.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I saw that, but being the techie guy that I am, I took you literally (as in GUI referring to elements like buttons or sliders) ;)

14. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #34 Nekku, Oct 2, 2014
    Well, I need some ingame friends :D
    Is there already an Add Me thread anywhere or is someone willing to create one?

My ingame name is Raz. Feel free to add me.

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I quite like this. A very superior sequel.

I just wish for the option to turn off auto-aim

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Seriously? Another dev who adds an auxiliary aid system (probably in the belief that the platform/touch controls/screen size necessitates it) on top of the basic mechanics, and then leaves us with no option to disable it? :D

17. chitty007

chitty007 Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Add me anyone

ChittyOCD

18. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Oh, wow... This definitely looks fun.

And it has online co-op and pvp? Nice!

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    In some games, auto-aim actually contributes to the experience, leaving the player free to focus on other complex mechanics or aspects of gameplay. In some rare titles, it actually makes little difference.

In Star Warfare 2, it completely trivializes gameplay (at least for the first hours). Missions consists of running backwards and holding the fire button, and the only challenge (required to succeed) is very basic positioning.

For casual run-n-gunning, however, this is probably a dream, for the game (minus the narrative and dialogue) is superbly polished.

But it reminded me to re-download Freyr's Bounty Hunter: Black Dawn (a very nice shooter, in spite of plenty of shortcomings), so I'm glad I downloaded it ;)

20. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #40 Nekku, Oct 2, 2014
    Auto aiming is based on weapon and enemy. Not every weapon does have auto aiming. It's also disabled when fighting bosses.

I was finally able to take part in an Co-Op boss match. Was quite fun.
    I wonder where all the other players are. I see barely any PvP or CoOp matches going on. I also have some lag and connection isnt that good. Mostly 2/5 bars which is weird cuz I'm on a 50k connection. Where are the servers located? Honolulu?