Star Trek Trexels - (by YesGnome, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Hi
    Am enjoying this game more than I thought I would but am really struggling with 1 aspect .
    I have built several rooms but can only assign 1 crew member. How do I hire more so I can assign a crew man to yellow, red and blue rooms all at the same time.
    Thanks

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    You need to build more crew quarters, you might need to expand your ship area for each extra room you want (I'm not sure) you can also buy premium crew quarters anytime you like with purple crystals, I bought one of those.

3. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I am going to pick this up, and Tiny Trek as well. I would actually love another game like the Star Trek 25th anniversary. I thought that was great.

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just finished Sector one. Very much enjoyed. I don't normally play this kind of stuff perhaps that's why I'm enjoying it but it's a little beauty for me. Had more than 2 English pounds worth and haven't achieved one game centre achievement yet.

5. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Yup that would take me right out of the game. I know this is how these types of games are. Some use dice etc, I want to play a game like this where I actually control the ship or a character or multiple characters in the Star Trek universe and not in first person. I would love a 25th Anniversary type of game on iOS.

6. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Just hit standard 10 hour timers. That's a bit much and it will probably get much worse from all indications. Staying with it because it's trek, but honestly... I'm starting to lose interest. It's just getting way too slow.

7. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Wow... The arboretum has a build time of 360 hours!

8. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #148 slamraman, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Yep - sector one I enjoyed as I was able to get three assignments going at the same time and train officers etc. Sector two just extends the timers. I'm adding one staff quarter to get one extra staff and it's set for 6 hours for each one at a time. To even send a probe to the first planet on a reccy you need so much of the blue energy that it's going to take a very long time. I'm sticking with it purely for the reason that I spent two English pounds on the mo'fo'!!

Quick edit: whilst that build of crew quarters is going on though, I've got other stuff going on that's only 5 minutes here and there so actually still enjoying it so far. It's no Drive on Moscow certainly but I do keep coming back.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm starting to agree, that this game needs some serious balancing issues sorted out, I was absolutely loving playing on sector one and when I've just now reached sector two the amount of resources you need to do anything is getting crazy. I've already had plenty of hours of play from my £2 spend so no regrets but it's turned into a grind fest after the first chapter.

10. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    #150 dominici, Dec 15, 2013
    I'm assuming you're referring to me, though I've come back to the forum late in this thread, and judging by the comments here it's been answered why I gave it one star. Put aside I paid money for a freemium game, that was my decision, I really like Star Trek. The game is extremely unbalanced, the longer you play the longer it will take to complete tasks, missions, etc... It becomes a huge grindfest and even tests the patience of casual and forgiving gamers alike! And the IAP cost is rather extravagant, if you want to buy dilithium to speed up the game. Look they can charge what they like, but people will lose interest quickly, if it takes too long to do anything. I stand by my one star rating, the game has potential, but not until they address the balance issues and lower their expectations on some of those IAPs.

11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I also rated it with one star. For the exact same reason. Massive grind feast unless you want to drop mega bucks of real money. You'd go through those crystals really quick...

12. Kepler

Kepler Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Was going to buy this until I hears about the increasing timers and IAP. Way to limit your user base.

13. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I think China will reach the moon before I finish this game.

14. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    China had an automated lander arrive on the moon yesterday....times b a changin...

15. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #155 Jake7905, Dec 15, 2013
    I really tried giving this game a chance, but it's not cooperating with me. The balance is WAY off, there's no way this should be a paid game; it seems like you're pretty much paying $3 for the Star Trek license. The concept for Trexels is actually a good one, but this should have been a freemium game from the start.

16. $P4RT4N

$P4RT4N Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Fun game, grind grind grind grind........ Or pay money, lots of it. But I already paid $3, so...

I hate premium freemium games. Treats Star Trek IP faithfully, enjoying all of those elements. But the freemium model used is really starting to get aggressive and unenjoyable. If they tweak it, it deserves at least four stars.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Completely agree, this game isn't a lost cause if the balance is adjusted.

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #158 MrMojoRisin, Dec 15, 2013
    So, you still feel this way about my trepidation to PAY for a "freemium" game?

Sorry, but you don't charge ANY amount of money for a game and then make the player wait 6 hours for something to happen unless they pay even more.

They need to make this free and give everyone that paid $3 for it either that much worth of iap credit or their money back, CUSTOMER'S choice!

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    ?? I might not have finished the game but I've had a whole weekends worth of play for my £2 purchase so I'd say that was worth me buying it anyway, sure the rest would/will be a huge grind but I wouldn't ask for a refund,
    For £2 anything over about five minutes playtime should be considered value for money.

20. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    paidmium

Haven't played, reviews seem so mixed. So hard to see if I'd like this game or if all the IAP junk would get in the way...?

I had never read "paidmium" before, love this term. Despite my occasional hate & rare admiration of game-commentary, sometimes there are gems here.

Freemium -- generally a derogatory term for games that seem free but are littered with 'purchase opportunities' which often ruin the game. BUT this term is flawed b/c this model CAN be done well (see Combat Monsters, WazHack, Nimble Quest, etc). Often gamers who seek this model are derided as well, IMO generally not for legit reasons (but merely for being "cheap" or not wanting to pay the devs what the game is worth).

Paidmium -- deducing that this means a purchased game with lots of 'purchase opportunities' AND pay walls AND timers / energy counters AND other stupid things?

Premium -- buy a game, play it & no more worries about 'real-world' money.

Now that I've met people who've paid more than $50 to a freemium game (was stunned to find a coworker tell me their tale), and in forums have met folks who have paid HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS (???) on ios games, I don't think Premium model (with no IAP's) makes sense anymore. Devs would be stupid to not take the money that people WANT to give them.

BUT

Paidmium in practice sucks, no? Who really LIKES buying a game, playing for awhile, and then realizing if you paid $5 or $20 the game would be a lot more fun?

Lastly -- I loved Mass Effect 3 on PS3, but I was disgusted that GameSpot tried to sell me an 'expansion' when I bought it for another $10 that gave me an extra character & new outfits for players. HELL NO!
    Why? Well, it seemed like the devs had deliberately BLOCKED part of the game except for people that paid more for it. Pretty sure you can't win those players/outfits with play hours?
    But I still loved the game, despite this initial annoyance.