Star Trek Trexels - (by YesGnome, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    What are the IAP all about?

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #122 Gwarmaxx, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    hey monkey, there's another way to earn power points without spending Dilithium or playing the mini game?

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    To purchase dilithium which Allows you to get rid of the ever increasing timers...( next upgrade I have scheduled for a room will take 10 hours), getting "super characters" and buying new uniforms.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #124 VirtualBoyFreak, Dec 14, 2013
    Me too, I don't care too much about timers here because I tend to go in and out of the game. The only "constant" source of Dilithium crystals is from the shooting minigame. If you play long enough, you eventually find the crystals. They come out of special parts (crystal meteorites, parts of USS ships, etc.). If you want all the original characters, you'll have to grind a lot, but you can do it just by grinding. Maybe I'm too trekkie... :)

The only IAP's I see you can't avoid if you're fan enough are the different suits of the series.

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    The different rooms you build produce different resources, I can't remember what you call them but yes if you look in my previous screenshot the rooms of the right produce power.

6. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Oooh, a paid game! So at least it won't be spoilt by gameplay that's skewed towards making you buy IAPs, phew!

Oh.

/deletes before it's even downloaded

Unbelievable :(

7. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    But here's the thing: in none of those examples you quoted are you offered an 'opportunity' to pay real money to get past those timers. Therefore, they are a part of the gameplay, and the game is balanced around those timers.

As soon as you offer the ability to buy your way pasty e timers it becomes immediately obvious that the timers have no gameplay value whatsoever and haven't been balanced for anything other than making you want to pay real money to bypass them.

Massive difference.

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    From a business point of view if you don't offer the ability to buy your way forward in a game these days your just turning down free money from people who are willing to pay, I'm still enjoying this game now and I've had hours of entertainment from my £2 purchase which to me is well worth the price I paid.

9. Gamehenge

Gamehenge Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 8, 2012
    I agree with the last post. there is absolutely no need for iap to enjoy this game. Lots to do. Options to prioritize what you need as you level up. The IAP is there, but its not intrusive.

I think this game is definitely a worthy sim. Its everything i wanted Space Command to be.

That being said, if this mechanic of timers is not for you, then don't buy it. But its a good game in my books!

10. NinjaKitteh

NinjaKitteh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    #130 NinjaKitteh, Dec 14, 2013
    So when they start offering IAP on Civ mobile games to circumvent timers suddenly, mystically that part of the game changes to a money grab even though the timers have always been in Civ games? That's a straw man argument. Especially since, just like in Civ games, you could just practice patience in regards to timers.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You guys are both missing the point by a mile. When you add the ability to bypass timers with cash, generally the developer will balance the game around making people want to pay to get around the timers, instead of balancing the game around the best possible experience for the player. Sure it's possible this game was designed and balanced as a premium game and then the IAP was added as an afterthought, but I highly doubt it based on what people have been saying in this thread and based on the history of this developer (only freemium games). And just because one individual doesn't mind timers because they "can pop in and out of the game" doesn't mean it isn't balanced as a freemium game. In fact that's kind of how freemium games work. The majority pay nothing and play in spurts here and there while the whales pay up to play obsessively. That's freemium mind you. I certainly won't pay for a game that has the balls to tell me when I can and can't play it ;)

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Well said. I Totally agree

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    It seems to be a gift, and a curse. We are getting so many Star Trek-like space exploration games. And they end up as Star Command and Trexels...

FTL needs to come soon to lead the way.

iPadisTooBusyPlayingBattleOfTheBulgeAndSpaceHulkToCareActually...

14. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Your sig is probably why I don't mind the timers, but replace battle of the bulge with battle academy and space hulk with space hulk :D

15. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    When I first commented I hadn't gotten to the point where it takes 6+ hours to build crew quarters. So yes I agree it is kind of crappy of them to charge and then have the sort of model. I still think it's a pretty fun game. I have a question though, I haven't found a way to make dilithium, can someone tell me what I should do to get this stuff? Is there a mission or something, besides paying for the stuff of course.

16. NinjaKitteh

NinjaKitteh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    #136 NinjaKitteh, Dec 14, 2013
    I think the real issue here is the fact no one can read the App description which clearly states it has IAP in it. Most of these people are whining because they felt duped but it's clearly stated. Reading, it's fundamental.
    Also you make the best point that the people that are complaining want to obsessively play, which is a sign of addiction. There are plenty of other things in life to do besides gaming, which is by definition a vice. Perhaps taking a break would be good for such people.

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Other than getting it for leveling up and completeing missions the only way I've found to get it is in the shooting mini game that you can constantly play.

18. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Do want. Am poor.

19. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Could you tell me where that shooting game is? I'm still relatively early in the game, about to get my fourth crew quarters. What room or part of the game do you go to to play that mini game?

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Click the cross hairs thing in the bottom left corner of the ship screen.