Star Trek Trexels - (by YesGnome, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #61 Gwarmaxx, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    i agree with you Monkey!!!

yes sir, i'm a Star Trek fan (look at my profile location ;)), but even if I wasn't, can say this game is really awesome!!! a lot of things to do, a great TOS/Next Gen flavor, all the original sounds and musics, huge campaign with away teams (more coming, read the interview on CNET), a lot of space to build onship rooms... and the gameplay? i love this kind of games, is far better and assorted than Tiny Death Star/Tower or the crappy Star Command... and the pixels... omg, the pixels are sublime!!!
    worth every buck!!!

edit: love the ship zoom, really excelent!!!

2. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Saw the timers and initially passed, but after reading some trusted Senior member impressions....bought! Just can't resist anything Star Trek, and after seeing just about every episode of TOS & TNG, it was even harder to resist this. So far it feels like a love letter to Star Trek fans, no regrets here. Hopefully the casual nature of the gameplay doesn't ruin it with more playtime.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Right following on from my previous impressions, well I'm back and I've been playing this most of the night (yes it's stopping me from playing space hulk, the room 2 and adventure time!!!) and I'm really regretting not watching Star Trek over the years as I can see if I was a fan I'd be screaming like a girl at the attention to detail this has.
    After you get a few level ups the timers start not being a problem as your managing more things each with there own timers so it feels more like management of your tasks than it does forced like a F2P game.
    It looks like there's going to be tons of content too as I'm not even half way through the first map/screen with planets on it, and there's 6 map screens with an extra bit at the end that looks like a possible coming in an update screen.
    Now I did enjoy star command (even though quite a few people seemed not to) but this is much more my type of game,
    I like that you can move your rooms about freely, as I love organising these type of games so I keep it all neat and tidy.
    Really can't think of any bad points becuase the timers give it that feeling your sending a probe out to a planet and waiting for it to come back same with sending people on missions, they need a timer to give emphasis to the time.
    The only bad point is my lack of Star Trek knowledge.
    What a game to just stealth launch out of nowhere.
    I'm off to conquer space or what ever these Star Trek dudes call it.

4. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #65 Gwarmaxx, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    you will not regret, pal!

live long & prosper \\//

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Seriously another hour later........ Still playing it, just finished the first planet of the first world, :D someone really needs to make a transformers game with this much fan service. Not that crappy Mobage card game either :p

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #67 ScotDamn, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Soooooo..... Is this a definite purchase for ST fans? How is the IAP? I'm so very tempted. Is it a management sim? Is it - raise the shields and fire torpedos - Raise power to the hyperdrive core so we can get outta here! - type experience? Or is it more in the experience of Tiny Tower, senseless button pushing, waiting for timers to finish buildings?

My biggest concern would be spending $3 on a freemium game, which I recently did with Warlord RTS. :eek:

EDIT: Also I get the timer thing, giving it an emphasis on time which sounds neat. But not if it's used to exploit IAP. I always thought that was a cool idea, but freemium ruined it. :(

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    So, what is the use of having a timer/energy cube thing? I am confused, sounds like it was a bad design decision and it could have been gone away. How does this thingy affect your game play experience (while protecting your eye, may be)?

I say I am causal Star Trek fans (read my sig ;) ), I watch all the movies but Tiny Death Stars bores me to death (I am not a lift operator!) Sounds like this is the deal.

PT has an article explaining why the launch is so "stealthy" -- thanks to CBS and CNET(!!!).

I have the hold button pressed and I am keeping an eye on this. (So much for no-app-to-buy-week)

8. Kisguri

Kisguri Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    I wish we could add George Takei to Tiny Trek, some where. Thanks for mention of Tiny Trek Mojo, I appreciate it!

9. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Wow. Your project Tiny Trek looks excellent!

10. Kisguri

Kisguri Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Thanks! but still would be nice to have some Takei in there. LOL

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy

Thanks a lot for the detailed impressions guys. It certainly helps to explain what you have encountered and your impressions of such. It gives great context, regardless of the subjective matter. :D

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    For sure. However the IP is most definitely secondary to the game play. After further reading, what you have proposed is what I've been looking for but doesn't exist on mobile. Tiny Trek will be highly anticipated by me. I think I'll help the kickstarter even though you've been funded. :)

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    So far it looks like the IAP is for two extra skin packs, and en you can buy the currency you use in game but I've got plenty from doing the missions and things and haven't used them to speed up any timers yet, the usual timers you see are 3,5 &15 minutes ones depending on if your building or probing or sending guys out on a mission that your not controlling yourself.
    There's also kind of a timer system where you assign people to rooms so they generate power or whatever the three resources are.
    I've been playing for a good few hours tonight and haven't had then need or any push at all to feel I need to buy currency, in fact it doesn't even show you that you can buy it unless you go looking through the shop pages to find it.

It's one of those games where your more on the management side of things, building rooms, sending guys on missions, collecting resources, there's no real choice other than what you build and where it goes and what people you send out on a mission (better people mean better chance of success)
    Like I've said I don't like Star Trek and I'm loving it, I do like things like the kairosoft games and whatever's in my sig.

14. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I've hit a fair amount of 30 minute timers when building rooms. This is one of those do something for 5 minutes, walk away for a while and pick it up later games.

IAP also lets you buy diamo... err dilithium... which can buy top name characters (Kirk, Spock, etc...) whose stats are extremely - ummm - elevated. And, of course, it speeds the building process wayyyyyyyyyy up.

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    your Tiny Trek will also be a must have, i'm waiting for it from the first day i've seen the first preview...

16. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Thank you for the impressions. It sounds pretty cool as long as you don't expect too much from it. It's good to know the IAP are optional and don't push themselves. I can enjoy a management sim in a ST universe no doubt. Very cool. I'll grab this one. :)

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Uhh.. Since when did the iPad 2 have retina?

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Maybe he modded it ;)

19. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    In terms of the energy bar, it's probably best you pretend no one ever mentioned it - the term is incredibly misleading in regards to this game. It's more like a Final Fantasy ATB gauge in the sense that the bar fills up in a matter of seconds, it's not the most accurate description but hopefully it conveys that it is nothing at all to worry about - and this is from someone who despises energy bars.

The timers are undeniably there but there is admittedly plenty to do in the meantime and as the game progresses, you unlock more crew that means you can undertake more timer-based options at once which significantly speeds things up.