Star Trek Trexels - (by YesGnome, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Luthur

Luthur Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Completely agree with PeteOzzy's assessment. If you are a fan of the original series, you will enjoy the game's flavor. It has not just the theme music, but also the more obscure music and sound effects the the original series. It reminds me of the old "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" game from the early 90's.
    As far as the "game" goes, I'm still on the fence. I have only put in 30 minutes(before my iPad1 crashed). I do feel that the different rooms for the ship are pretty cool - better than tiny tower, as you get to place them on any level of the ship and are able to pan & zoom around the ship.
    Summary - game is light, flavor is tasty.

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    As MrMojoRisin says (thanks by the way), there are slight differences between the two. I should have explained it a bit better though, but they're definitely both negative functions. Generally all you have to wait for in real time are stat boosting rooms and the such; you can complete every area in an away mission (roughly three to five separate events) regardless. With an energy bar, you're likely limited to the number of events you can play before you have no choice but leave the game.

It's hard to explain the strict differences but I wanted to be as clear as possible because some people are very anti-energy bars!

3. You are awesome, though you do look like a monkey!

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    For those that have played it a bit already, how much replay do you think this has? Are there any random elements, like procedurally generated missions or random placement of stuff in space to keep you coming back after you finish the mission?

I'm getting that the flavor is great and that it feels like authentic Trek, but that doesn't mean much to me, even as a ST fan, if the game is shallow and really only fun one time through.

And to me, messing around with the rooms does not count as good replay, because that's not why I would be getting this game.

5. FlyinJ

FlyinJ Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Was loving the game, saw my first timer, and erased the app.

I understand they are for "skill rooms", and are just soft gates, but a timer is a timer. I don't play games with timers, period. They are cynical, require no skill other than your wallet, and are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

You know what they could have done instead? Find resources on your missions, and use those resources to build rooms. Instead, they stuck a 15 minute timer to make you wait and piss you off, and the ability to buy your way past the timer with real cash.

Screw them.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    #46 Mene, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks for that, I'd be very tempted to contact apple for a refund.

I hate timers too, they serve no purpose other than to leech money off lazy/impatient people. I really LOVE the look and idea of this game. Sadly thanks to greedy devs I'll now skip it.

Could have been a truly awesome game. What a let down :(

Roll on Tiny Trek.. That'll be epic.

7. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    There are 48 Game Centre achievements, a large amount of rooms to build and a seemingly generous campaign but no, I don't think there is much in the way of replayability. It doesn't seem to be procedurally generated and even if it were, I don't think the gameplay varies enough that you'd want to play through again afterwards. Sorry :/

8. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    FYI for those who are playing the game, I just got a Dilithium crystal drop in the starship arcade mini-game.

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #49 MrMojoRisin, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks for the info. For everyone that wishes Trexels had more, check out this game on Kickstarter called Tiny Trek. It's already funded but has 10 days to still get in, and if you haven't heard of it before, it is pretty much everything you would have hoped would be in Trexels, minus the great license and George "Oh Myyy" Takei, of course. But what it lacks in official trappings, it more than makes up for with customizability and replayability.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2064021040/tiny-trek

For at least $5, you will get the Windows version and access to the beta when it's available, and for $10, you will get all that and either the iOS or Android version when those are available.

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    On Cnet, they said that the devs plan to expand the campaign over time, eventually adding reasons to interact with crews from all the Star Trek series (DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise). Cnet also made sure to say that they, as well as Star Trek, are owned by CBS. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds like there are some far reaching plans for this.

Here's a link to the article.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This! I was coming back to the thread to say just this! I have the original game for the Gameboy and as soon as I saw the planet missions, the space missions and such, I thought it was kind of the same experience I had with Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I'll probably be getting this one too, but I'm going to play SW Lego at the moment. I've got that and GTA:SA to try yet :D

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    PeteOzzy and oooooomonkey. Thanks to both. Downloaded and about to give this a try before I get dragged into Lego Star Wars and GTA:SA.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Let me know if I should complete the "purchase trilogy" with this one ;) just beat Lego Star Wars level 1 of Ep 1 and I love it. An inch nearer to buying the full experience :)

14. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    where did this baby come from......

When i first saw this thread appear 2nd in the hot games at present myself was going hmmmmmm, not seen anything about it on touch or another site i of course wont mention (place you put your money ;) ),

Still reading the comments i thought oh what the heck its £1.99 for me i take a hit on it and if it appears a duh i can still get my money back via refund.

Yes this is Star Trek though and though with voice of George Takei (who swiftly deleted the very mention of the game from his facebook page :confused:).

Is it tiny towers.... yes in a sense you do have to build rooms and upgrade them within a star ship NOT a tower.

Is this Star Command.... No well... yes...well no, it has the same pixel look about it yet that's as far as it goes, you dont control people in the ship you assign them.

It has the original Star Trek music playing, yet you cant help but notice the music that's played mis matching whats happening in the game at that time. Example take tense fire fight and you get joyfully music, while in a joy fully scene you treated with a tense music.

LCARS interface looks great on my ipad 2 with retina display, it just feels like you are typing away on the Star Trek Next Generation pad they carry around.

Imagine some people are going to hate the "power cubes" that you have to hit to do action when say in a fire fight, once again you dont control the crew its up to you to hit enough cubes to pull of the action needed to fill up the bar BEFORE your time runs out.

The game is not flashy by any means yet dont take that away from it, it just feels right for this type of game.

Yes you have option of IAP if you so wish yet its NOT in your face its there in the background if you so wish to take that path and cant wait for something to finish.

I really do hope that they are good to there word and add more content to this game as i think it be great besides once you finished it first time around i cant see you wanting to come back and do more... still maybe im wrong on that.....

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Spent half an hour on it and I have to say that I really, really like it. It's strategy-lite but pretty well damn made. I'll be sticking with it and I'd say it's worth the £2 price-tag. Don't know about replayability but once I'm done I pretty much look forward to moving on. It's pretty light hearted and any game that can make me smile is okay by me.

16. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Does it need constant online connection?

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Right full disclosure, here's my impressions from a person who's never seen a full episode of Star Trek and the extent of my Star Trek knowledge is that it includes Spock who has pointy ears :D

Right here goes in no particular order, the good- as a game this looks and plays very nice, I'm really enjoying the cut scenes and the text between characters. There's missions in space ship to ship and then on foot missions to either shoot or negotiate or something else and while essentially your just tapping some little energy cubes and then a choice of something to use your energy on, I'm finding them to be fun and entertaining without being to complicated.
    Now timers! Yes there's timers, I'll explain what I've seen so far, When your on the ship screen you can build things/rooms tiny tower style and each room takes time to be built (but you can go do other things while your waiting)
    Same goes for exploring planets you send a probe to the planet first (which takes time, so far it's been 3minutes)
    So other things there's quite a lot of different things going on in the ship screen power/energy something else?... And there's a mini game you can play (whenever you want with no limit) by pressing a crosshairs in the bottom corner of the screen, it takes you to a side on view of your ship and your tapping on things that are going flying past like debris and enemy's etc and collecting the stuff they leave behind, so far this is what I've been playing during the timer wait.
    There's one major thing that had me confused, when trying to build a new room it kept coming up saying a needed spare crew but didn't explain so I had no idea what to do and ended up pressing all sorts of buttons for 10mins until I figured out I needed a new crew room but couldn't build it until my room under construction finished being build as I can't build two rooms at once.
    Now some of this goes way over my head, there's loads of different rooms to build and crew to hire but having never seen Star Trek before the crew and things are lost on me.
    Well I think that's everything and I can't believe I'm going to say this (because I really don't like Star Trek) but this is really good, sure it's got timers and premium currency but they haven't been in my way and it's only £1.99
    For me it's an easy recommend.
    So I'd say if your on the fence and like the same type of things as me then jump on in as IMO it's well worth the price, and of course if your a fan of Star Trek then IMO you should have already bought it as you can multiply my enthusiasm for this game by 10 and say its a must have.
    Jeez if you read all the way to the bottom here then you should probably be downloading this by now. From out of nowhere there's all ways a surprise release of the week and this is it for me. I suppose from my huge wall of text you can probably see I'm enjoying this a lot. :D

Edit. Forgot to mention that the music and sound effects are very nice and add some great atmosphere

18. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks Oooooomonkey, I'll grab it ASAP :)

19. TankTime

TankTime Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Tank Driver
    Inside a tank
    Urgh - this blows chunks. truly awful game.
    Only one step away from those repulsive collectible card 'games' in structure and 'gameplay' (using air quotes because calling these things games and containing gameplay is a far stretch).
    Avoid.

20. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Definitely glad people are disagreeing with me haha, good to see people are enjoying it!

I'm still playing and it's definitely improving, there's a rather overwhelming amount of rooms you can build and the tutorial, as Oooooomonkey says, leaves a lot to be desired though some people might see the lack of handholding as a plus.
    The timers aren't much of a worry though I still think their presence in a premium game leaves a bitter taste. Why they didn't just use the traditional management progress bar with a max of three minutes confuses me, people wouldn't mind that at all. It's growing on me though, with updates and a bit more play I'd be comfortable recommending it!