Star Trek Trexels - (by YesGnome, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Tiny Trek's dev already made Vincere Totus Astrum a few years ago. Fully premium model. I don't think we should worry about that. We'll see though.

Check Yesgnome's webpage for a mail address and contact them there. They should be able to fix it from their server side.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm a KS backer for Tiny Trek, and I can tell you that everything is going to be available at the outset. There are no timers or currencies of any kind to be found in that game. It's not the kind of game that would lend well to iap anyway.

3. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Quick trip report on how the game plays, coming in now after the 1.5 update. You know... it's not that bad. I can imagine how being a paid app with FTP timer gameplay would have soured a lot of people, which is why I waited. As a free game though, and clearly one that has undergone a lot of rebalancing, it's a fun and harmless little bit of fluff.

In the 4 days since the update, starting as a new player, here's my progress:

Level 22
    Expanded the ship 5 or 6 times
    Sulu, Miranda Jones, and Scotty are part of my TOS bridge crew
    31 dilithium on hand (hoping to get either a 34 gem McCoy, or a 59 gem Kirk/Spock next)
    At least two premium rooms owned
    Completed all planets in sector 1, two from sector 2, and all 3 of the VIP storylines.

For a timer laden FTP game, that's excellent progress.

I guess it all depends on your affection for the Trek license at this point. Early on, I was focusing on the missions and trying to unlock those, but now I'm just focused on expanding the ship as much as I can. While I hated Tiny Tower for being a shelf-stacking simulator, with the only reward being more shelves to stack, I could see the appeal of the ant farm aspect. Seeing crew members scurrying around uograding rooms and generating resources with which to further enhance the ship has been fun to me, precisely because the sounds and LCARS interface sell me on the idea that this is my starship. YMMV of course.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I agree with you. Being a trekky, this is a great Tiny Tower alternative as a freemium title. The Next Generation $2 IAP acts as a "coin doubler" (TNG Enterprise grants double benefits in the minigame, except for dilithium) and you get the costumes and Data too. I'm on level 52, my Enterprise is maxed out and I'm doing all the VIP missions. I have to train my crew more, because the missions on the last bunch of levels require a 282 average crew, and mine are around 170...

@Devs: a possible bug: check the screenshot. The background of the mission is missing.

Attached Files:

5. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty clear that this new FTP version is almost a different game than the paid app. Or rather, it's exactly the same, but it now embraces the FTP aspect rather than trying to fudge things with a mix of premium and freemium. Can't help but feel this is how it should have launched in the first place. It would still be a little disappointing because so much more could be done with this concept, but if you're going FTP, go all the damn way.

6. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    Assignments

I find I have so many Assignments I get overwhelmed.

I am also scared to try anything unless I have an assignment for it.
    I could have bought a Premium Starfleet academy earlier, but waited.
    Thankfully it did appear later as a assignment - so I could build it and get my reward (Dilithium crystals).

So now I dont want to experiment and build any old room.
    Instead I have to selectively work through the Assignments one at a time and build the ship someone is telling me to build

Same goes for training -
    Why spend those 3 precious resources to train someone when I can wait for to tell me to "train combat" and I get a reward for it?

7. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    The only assignments that matter are the ones that give you a dilithium profit, like a 15 crystal reward for building a 14 dilithium room. I made the mistake (once) of spending 8 crystals on advanced training for a measly 2 crystal reward. Yeah, never again.

At level 31 now, and my level 3 hydroponics and subspace scanners usually give like 30 XP per cycle, and even the biggest assignment reward I've seen is only 100 XP, so it's pennies compared to the 11 crew I have racking up rewards for me in the work rooms.

Also, it's retroactively given me the rewards if I completed an assignment before it listed it, so you probably won't miss anything. The only ones to be wary of would be the premium rooms. Definitely wanto build those when you'll get a dilithium bonus.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Except the premium crew rooms. Build those ASAP, because as you level up they cost more. I'm at level 52, Enterprise maxed out, and each premium crew room costs 28 dilithium, and I can't build more standard crew rooms anymore. I remember at the beginning these premium crew rooms were around 14 dilithium each...

9. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    So hey there, here's a fun story. Tried to open this up on the commute home, got a message that it couldn't connect to download new assets. Which is bollocks as it's a single-player game. Thought nothing of it, other than being annoying. Got home, fired it up aaaaaaaand... yeah, it's wiped all my progress. 33 levels, enough ship expansions to reach the deflector dish, Scotty, Miranda Jones and Spock all lost. Back to the intro mission and level 1. Fun times.

I can forgive anything in a game, apart from losing savegames. It's the one immortal sin of gaming, you do NOT eat my progress. I was totally down with this game in its new FTP form, it was a nice chill little thing to mess with. It's obviously broken as hell though.

One star, avoid.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I reinstalled the game and it restored my session through Game Center. You can try to reinstall the game when in a wifi and wait a bit for it to restore your session. If that doesn't work, you can mail YesGnome to get it restored from their servers. This game, for good and for bad, requires constant Internet connection, and it makes backup of your game session on their servers.

11. mutts

mutts Active Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Wow the iap are still way of, and needed it seems.
    Just reinstalled it and saw i needed to be level 101 for the second starsystem.
    Wtf talk about grinding. Also i seem to remeber that I already had acces to it.
    Deleted again, so sad to see appgaming go to waste.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Level 101 for the second star system? I am level 53 and have access to all the star systems. I'd drop a mail to Yes Gnome if I were you and wanted to continue playing. They can restore the session from their servers.

13. mutts

mutts Active Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I included a screengrab it says requires level 101, even if I have the command,science and power requirments.
    Funny thing is that i had worf but now seem to miss him, the game did notificatie me of an earlier save which i loaded.
    And while the iap are still steep, it is much easier to get dilithium i noticed.

Attached Files:

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'd mail that screen to Yesgnome's support to see what they say...

15. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    It's level 101 or 1 dilithium. As you get two dilithium every time you play the mini game that's not too bad....

What I want is more explanation. What does upgrading get me? It's completely unclear for most rooms. If I'm going to spend resources and be without crew and the room for 5-24 hours, I'd like to know what it's buying me.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I never got the "level 101" thingie, and I'm level 60 and nearly finished every single mission in the game. Only 4 planets and 2 VIP missions remaining.

Upgrading gives different things depending on what you upgrade. If you upgrade resource rooms, they give you more resources when the process is fully finished. If you upgrade special rooms, they seem to lower the requirements of missions, or in other words make them easier. Imagine you get a mission where you need 280 combat. If you upgrade the torpedo bay (I think that's what it was called), you get a lower requirement, such as 260 combat.

I've upgraded every room I have available, which helped a lot until I reached the last sector. In the last sector I have to train the crew a lot. Luckily, since yesterday I've noticed that training takes only 1 minute instead of 15, so I always have the 5 training rooms full and I'm completing training missions like crazy. Now the problem is that resources go down much quicker because of this.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, the question is: and now what? I can still build up more my crew, buy the remaining characters, etc. But the real question is when are we getting a content update? :D

Attached Files:

18. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Thanks - and I just noticed the 1 minute change myself, and thank goodness for it, as I've had to train my officers up a lot. I will also say that I'm convinced they've tweaked the shooting mini game again. Dilithium drops are much more spread out.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I noticed that dilithium is much more spread out too. I've updated today, so hopefully the new update won't make it even more spread.

I already have 5 crew member maxed out. Currently farming resources to get ready for the next update :D

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #300 Gwarmaxx, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    stuck!!!

hi guys, i have a major issue: i can't play Trexels anymore, can't do anything!!!

everytime i open the game, it loads the same save position from nearly a week ago (i've played it fine until friday, but yesterday it reloads the assets and then the save position of a week ago), and it's
    stuck there, like the sync doesn't work, no matter if i complete active tasks or missions...
    i've reinstalled the game a couple of times, closed gamecenter session,turned off the device, but seems to be no solution!
    it's weird 'cause in addition to this issue, i have half of my crew stuck on quarters without tasks balloons or the option to send them for resources (if you look closely at the pic you'll see 10 crewmen free, but the above list says 6 free/4 busy, so 4 of my crewmen are gone even if i have the quarters!!!).
    i'm playing Trexels from the first day, so please help me... what can i do for keep playing it???

btw, i'm always on iOS 7.1.2, so it's not a sysop issue, and i've just installed the new game update, but the problem is still there.

Attached Files: