Universal Star Traders: Frontiers (by Trese Brothers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thank you for the opinion.However, i would like an answer from the devs or someone who has played extensively mainly on the "exploring and figuring things out and the persistent world moves on and you lose the quests thing. I have a serious issue with timers.

Also about complexity, if it was purely a tactical rpg i would have already picked it up as i can devote time to learn their systems since i truly enjoy them. But part of it is space sim and while i have bought a lot of those due to excitement, they never manage to hold my interest more than a couple of days. For example, FTL/ DD kept me for the combat, but Star Command / No mans Sky/ Elite Dangerous etc didn't as much as i was excited to buy them all.

fallen likes this.
  2. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

#62 fallen, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    I dont think I can make much of an answer to the second part, @ramzarules as that sounds like your personal preference and I don't want to hazard a guess. Star Traders: Frontiers is a very Firefly-esque space-opera in which you carve your own path, tell your own story and create your own career. It has tactical elements (combat) embedded within a larger space sim fabric.

If you dislike the idea of the story world reacting to your decision to do something AND your decision not to do something, then this may not be the game for you. The persistent world does move on, contacts and events will not wait indefinitely for you. However, if you get involved and show interest, the timers extend as you participate. So, the choice is more about where you are willing to get involved and if you have to choose between competing alternatives. We've created a story fabric that is pretty unique from other games and some like it and some don't ( which is the story with all stories :D )

adin, Rocksaint, Gwarmaxx and 3 others like this.
  3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thank you very much for the sincere reply! I will find some gameplay video that follows the quests and see for myself the world reactions :)
    Congratulations once again, and i am happy to see you made a big graphics and art leap!

fallen likes this.
  4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #64 Gwarmaxx, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

hey ramza, pick this up, you won't regret, it's sublime!!!

btw, i've never seen a better port than this on iOS, specially on a normal iPhone, the UI adaptation is practically perfect, this guys could easily give a lesson to Darkest Dungeon and FTL devs (that imho were too lazy to adapt their games to a smaller screens, too much work, isn't it?)

fallen and JasonLL like this.
  5. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Speaking of the devs (who i cane to appreciate since way back in my android days): not only are those guys absolutely talented, but also perhaps the most active in the whole indie scene. Theres propably tons of content coming over the next years. Those guys can absolutely be trusted!

fallen, Gwarmaxx and JasonLL like this.
  6. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Thank you for your trust and for knowing our history. We aim to impress :D

To that end, the first update is just "processing for sale" to App Store, should start appearing on everyone's devices.

The full release notes with pictures and long form text are on our forum.

Version Information v2.4.71
    - Improved iPad Pro Support
    - Improved iPhone support and performance
    - Added 3 new female character faces
    - Added 2 new landing zone art boards
    - Added 7 new Void Engine designs -- the Dual-Field engines
    - New 'Dual-Field' Void Engines provide minimal mass options at higher cost
    - Added new Talent icon for Spy's "Scouring Search" Talent
    - Improved enemy ship builder AI -- increased upgrade paths, better upgrade planning and weapon lockers
    - Chaesin Doctors and Researchers now offer their own type of Trait Reconditioning
    - Trait Reconditioning removes: Addictive Tick, Crippled, Flashbacks, Frail, Hypochondriac, Hyperwarp Sickness, Paranoid, Stormshock or Weak System
    - Added new Contact Type "Chaesin Researcher" -- recruits Combat Medics, offers Trait Reconditioning
    - Smuggler Contact Type now offers discount on Spice and Permits (grade 1)
    - Salvage Broker Contact Type will only offer Black Market based on Traits such as Greedy, Corrupt, Underworld
    - Void Engine Safety Rating now displayed in main ship status, dry dock and starport with helpful tooltip
    - Radiation Storms and other Quadrant-wide Rumors have more impact on all Orbital Ops (Spy, Blockade, Patrol, Salvage)
    - Buffed Hyperwarp Navigator's "Fast Getaway" Talent to include a +5% Shield increase
    - Adjusted Quartermaster's "Calming Speech" Talent cool down to 13 weeks
    - Adjusted Mechanic's "System Flush" Talent cool down to 6 weeks
    - Fixed issue with Orbital Salvage positive Trait cards adding negative Trait (Xenophobic)
    - Fixed Corsair's Scan Talent to no longer remove Tribute option from Ship Encounters
    - Fixed issues with several Mass 3400 and Mass 5000 mass ships that had unnecessary Mass Reducer components by default
    - Fixed rare bug that could prevent you from repairing your ship's Scout Bridge
    - Fixed issue where damage dealt by results of Exploring, Orbital Ops was less than shown
    - Fixed bug where negative or positive Rep could be shown while Exploring Indie wilderness zones
    - Fixed possible text overlays on Talent screen
    - Fixed issues where remote RTG stashes created after crew combats during Salvage were not counting towards Awards/Unlocks
    - Fixed issues where positive Reputation was being incorrectly reported with xeno during missions
    - Fixed issue with some story fights incorrectly giving you the option to bribe or retreat

adin, NyxTowa, Gwarmaxx and 2 others like this.
  7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Is that all?

www.instantrimshot.com

Edit: in case that’s a bit obscure, great work, ay!

8. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Lol, buckle up for a lot more :D That's update #131 on Steam, all updates will come directly to iOS and Android.

Though, I have to say ... I posted this too quickly. Something is up with the App Store, this update seems stuck. Hopefully it clears "processing for sale" soon.

downgrad3r and Quoad like this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    “pirates? Oh, it’s early game I’ll be fi... OH MY GOD IM SO FKD.”

Well, that was a short lived and remarkably one sided battle. #rofl

10. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    #70 psj2710, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    How does the game play on an iPhone XS ? Bit worried the text may be too small. All okay ?

fallen likes this.
  11. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Personally, I love it on our test XS. One way to check is to fullscreen the screenshots off the App Store, that can give you an idea.

12. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Thanks for the quick response. Last question !

Is there tons to learn or is it possible to ‘quickly’ get into it. Seen a few videos and it looks stunning

13. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

We always recommend the Let's Play by our longtime community member and Discord mod, MintDragon:

These are made with a focus on helping new players get a handle on critical systems. A few minutes with this series of videos can go a long way.

Son of Anarchy, lezrock and JasonLL like this.
  14. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Thanks. Think I’m sold ! Read a few reviews and it seems amazing. Thanks for bringing this to iOS

fallen and JasonLL like this.
  15. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Is there a way to save the names and appearances of my crew for a next run, i hate to redo them all over and over again when i inevitably pay the ultimate price for my pirating ways on hard mode.

16. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Started watching those videos on YouTube. Quite long but ray makes you realise how much there is too it

fallen likes this.
  17. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

No, there is no way to save off the crew names and appearances at this time. You can use the auto-assign feature to quickly push a uniform across your crew if that helps.

18. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Another big update on its way into the review queue tonight.

2 AM rar rar rar

Gwarmaxx, Quoad and DeathProofNinjaX like this.
  19. DeathProofNinjaX

DeathProofNinjaX Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    what is it? you sure love to keep suspense

20. desito

desito Active Member

Dec 6, 2016
    A marvelous game, sadly I'm spanish and sure that I lose something of the history. Any chances of traslation?

Deep and narrative. This is the way that role playing games should be.

Thanks Trese brothers