Universal Star Thief (by Paul Ewers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pawl, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Well, I am getting paid to be observant, so... ;)

But yeah, you've nailed it with the game. The mechanics, graphics, controls are spot on. I'd say it's already an iOS classic.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This sounds great. Even though I've gone WAY over budget in the past month or so in app purchases, perhaps I'll justify this as a Father's Day present to myself.

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Level 4-5 is gorram beast. :p

4. Pawl

Pawl Active Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #24 Pawl, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    Oh yes, I think 4-5 is a little too hard, hehe. But you have made it quite far! If you run out of levels feel free to go for a perfect 3-star mastery or check out some of the achievements.

I'm working on more worlds, levels and mechanics that will come as a free update!

5. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #25 Andy C83, Jun 15, 2013
    My OCD nature doesn't allow me to move on until I 3-star the current level. :p 4-5 was a little beastie, but I got there. I don't usually finish a game this quick, or I can get bored and lose interest and move on to something else, but something about Star Thief compelled me to keep playing.

I've completed all of the achievements except for the "finger draggin'' ones, they don't seem to be registering.

Looking forward to more levels and mechanics, and that's pretty rare for me. Usually when I complete a game I'm done with it, but I'd love to have more Star Thief. But take your time though, you deserve a rest. :p

The 5/5 review by Gamezebo is a great start, and hopefully more reviews will start to come through and gain some recognition for this awesome little gem.

For now though, Star Thief goes into the "Best of 2013" folder on my iPod Touch, sitting snugly between Little Luca and The Silent Age, among others.

Cheers Paul. :)

6. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    That sounds like a great excuse so I will use that one myself :) spent far to much recently but this looks fantastic. Downloading now :)

7. Pawl

Pawl Active Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks Andy, that is great feedback to hear. :eek: I'll definitely look into that finger draggin' achievement bug (I *think* it will register if you keep your finger down all the way from the beginning of the countdown sequence to the very end before the summary screen, but it's not at all forgiving and could definitely use some love).

I didn't have any expectations going into launch regarding whether or not anyone would even play it -- let alone have fun and actually make it to the end! :D My thinking was to ship with 50 levels, see what people think, and make more of whatever everyone most enjoyed.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted about the future!

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #28 Vovin, Jun 15, 2013
    Eh... dammit... where is that girl that comes with the game and gives you a free hand and finger massage?
    I nearly knotted some of my fingers together. Level 3-2 is mean.

9. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #29 Andy C83, Jun 15, 2013
    That worked a treat, thanks. :)

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have played through world 1 and I am enjoying Star Thief - a very nice casual game!

11. Pawl

Pawl Active Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I realize releasing the week of E3 and WWDC with a bunch of big game announcements was probably not too wallet friendly, but on the plus side you won't be tempted with any in app purchases! :)

12. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    #32 Breinstein, Jun 15, 2013
    After reading all the positive comment I could not let this game go by. Glad I bought it :) really great game , original gameplay and most importantly fun to play and addictive, keeps me coming back for just one more go. Let's all give this game the attention it deserves ! And now I am of to have one more go and to leave a five star rating in the Dutch AppStore !

13. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Pretty much gaming perfection.

Amazing game - hope it does as well as it deserves to.

14. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well I got world one all stars, level 1-13 and 1-14 are tricky but I did it finally.

15. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Yes, look great, instabuy

16. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Oh it's out, downloading :)

17. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Great game! Played through the whole thing and its so addicting and can't wait for more levels. My only complaint is that level 4-5 was WAY too hard and is the only level I cannot get 3 stars on. Other than that: Great job!

18. Pawl

Pawl Active Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I've been hearing that a lot about level 4-5 and I have good news! I've submitted an update to Apple this morning to not make that level so $@%#! difficult. I'm not sure how long it'll take for Apple to approve the update, but I'm guessing it could take a little longer due to WWDC last week. I'll keep you posted.

I'm a little sad that once the update goes live, everyone's stellar reviews will get "lost" on the app store since they'll only apply to version 1.0. :(

But in other news, it looks like Star Thief got a little buzz over on AppAdvice! http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-star-thief

19. yorrick

yorrick Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I have to add to the positive comments. The game is quite fun and at times, it gets pretty frantic and crazy!

A bit hard to categorise - a side scrolling, slashy (think fruit ninja) with goals to meet at each level.

20. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    About to buy, & based on the response, good choice on the 2.99 price point. It sounds absolutely stupid outside of iOS context, but if you know you're good don't sell it short.