Universal Star Realms (By White Wizard Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Aug 14, 2014.

1. kid

kid Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    you can get some massive combos! I've had over 60, I think it was 64. I can't remember it exactly but I had a mostly blob deck. I already had blob world in play and got the command ship and stealth needle in my hand. made the needle another command ship to draw lots of cards, loads of blob ships came out and I drew a load more cards, then drew even more using blob world.

I've had it a few times, as I'm sure others have, where I've gone through my entire deck in a hand, I have the ability to draw more card but I've simply none left to draw!

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    On an iPhone 6+ this is (maybe not so) strangely even harder to make out text. Flavour text and names of cards in play, nearly no chance.crazy waste of screen space. Eye strain from this game on an iPhone 6+? Straight up, although it's great to have this on a mobile device, it's terrible.

3. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    apparently, interest in this game has waned and, like all my previous girlfriends, i'd like to get the last word in. again, i'm probably the only guy on the forum who doesn't love this game and i gave my reasons. admittedly, it had promise but wasn't quite there yet and i'm here to report that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. there have been 2 updates with no additional content, no features added, no enhancements to existing play. oh well...

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    10,000!!!

OK folks, serious good deal on HumbleBundle: $1 tier includes Star Realms (amongst others) but that translates to an unlock on iOS as well!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How about the Gambit expansion dropping tonight?

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    The Gambit expansion should add a nice bit of variety to the base game with the Gambit cards.

7. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Insta buy for tonight expansion!

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A lot of these new "if bases then" cards feel that much more like Ascension constructs, which is only a good thing.

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Update has been out!

10. kid

kid Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    is anyone else seeing the new trade row cards after buying the update? all I get are the gambit cards, I thought there was supposed to be new core deck cards as well?

11. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    #71 CaptLudd, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Is there any way to buy the expansion without registering to play online? I have no interest in that but want the new cards.

Edit: Nevermind, finally remembered that i had registered when i bought the entire game, and i just had to (for some odd reason) sign in and restore purchases for the app to allow the expansion purchase. It had been so long and i never used it so i totally forgot i was registered.
    The new cards are totally cool, and the 2 gambit cards i started the game with helped me much more than the 2 the AI got, so it was a good win.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There are, 7 new cards (they bill it as 16 new cards but there are some dupes so it is really just 7 new unique ones). You might not notice them at first, but if you are seeing the Gambits, trust me, the new cards are mixed in there.

13. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    ok, if you're going to be that way, Gambit is the weenie expansion, should have been Crisis... :D

so tell me all ye fans out there. i like the game (free) but don't love it and play it about as much as Ascension, which isn't much as i am designing a prison right now. but anyway, is the Gambit expansion worth the $9? besides the other included stuff which i don't really care about (hard AI, on all devices, campaigns, multiplayer, blah, blah) does the expansion add enough to make it worth buying the base + it?

14. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, if you haven't bought the base game then you really haven't experienced all that the Star Realms app has to offer. In my opinion the base game is well worth the $5. Though the campaign, hard A.I., and multiplayer mode are the main reasons to buy it. I haven't bought Gambit yet....but will correct that oversight tonight.

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks Jake, but let me narrow this down. for free i can play the first chapter of the campaign. i don't play multiplayer and i don't really care about other devices so the $5 only gets me hard AI and the 2nd chapter. to me, that doesn't seem to be worth it. if you have time, come back and let me know how much the Gambit expansion adds to the experience.

one last question. if i were to purchase and register do they require a valid email (like, do you have to respond to a verification email from them) or can you enter any old thing?

16. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, the Hard&Medium A.I. adds some replay value to a game Vs. AI, as the Easy A.I. is much too easy in my opinion. And the 9 additional campaign missions are much more challenging then the 6 tutorial-like free campaign missions. So I thought it was worth the $5, even without the multiplayer being a consideration. I'll get back to you on the Gambit expansion once I've had a chance to play a little.

As far as E-Mail verification goes, I bought it a while ago and don't remember verifying my E-Mail, but I did use my E-Mail address to reset my login password after forgetting it. So a working E-Mail address is probably a good idea.

17. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #77 Mack the Knife, Mar 6, 2015
    thanks Jake, but i understand you have to play 9 missions (9 cards) in order to get the Gambit cards even though you just paid for them. do you have to win those missions? kinda sucks, I'd like to use them in those 9 missions.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    ???

I was able to play vs. AI and other players right off with all of the Gambit cards. Maybe the Gambit cards don't show up in the campaign until later?

19. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    After the update first two campaigns have identical missions. I've bought the base came, but not the update. Anyone else with the same problem?

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #80 LordGek, Mar 6, 2015
    Ouch, I have the expansion but can confirm the same thing! Not only are chapter 1 & 2 the same mission titles but your progress through them is identical (I was on the 3rd mission of chapter 1 and if I hit chapter 2, I'm on the identical 3rd mission by default).

If you go to the Star Realms FB page you'll see this is a known issue with a patch already submitted to fix. They seem to imply that Apple will put a rush on getting it approved but who knows.