Universal Star Realms (By White Wizard Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    there is 1 expansion and 2 promo packs for the actual card game and you can see the list of cards (but not necessarily what they do) over at BGG. i hope they DO release those soon and also hope they DO add some complexity/variety/variability to the game as the base game, to me anyway, is rather stale and ho-hum.

2. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    The interface is so terrible in every way, I can't even get to the point of evaluating the game mechanics. From the graphic design to the touch handling, everything about it screams "chunky port from a guy who'd rather be making .NET apps."

3. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Anyone else having problems with mission 3 in chapter 1? I do know a few basics of card building games but this mission seems hard so early in the campaign...

And as the rules in this mission are so far from the normal game - should I rather practice against the normal AI as you need a special strategy for this level??

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, I really like it! :)

I purchased it on my iPad Air and after log in into my account I have the full version also on all my other iDevices ... I had no crashes or other problems, not on my iPad Air, Mini Retina or iPhone 5s ... on the iPhone the texts are much too small ...

After then I installed it on my Notebook ... on the PC you have to log into your account and after that you can 'restore' your purchases ... and yep, it works, I can play also on my Alienware ... :D

Maybe the UI could be a little bit better ... but sorry ... for 4,49 Euro this game is even now a steal!

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Some advice on how to defeat the Blog scouts in mission 3: a Test of Strength on Hard (a WHOOOOLE other business than the same mission on normal, and even the normal mission is disproportionately hard), focus on red and blue (especially the Cutter, for great cheap healing and combat, the Flagship, for great everything, and the Missile Mech to deal with bases), and whatever appropriately-coloured outposts you can get your hands on (nevermind their abilities, just for defense).

Prune your deck heavily, even Scouts in hand. Prioritize combat in general, and direct all your efforts towards destroying any starbases the Blobs play, to cripple their automatic damage output. As soon as the Blobs have no bases in play, but you do, their damage output will slow down (they play just one or two cards per round, and without bases, synergy will be hard to come by), and your healing can turn from helping you survive to boosting your Authority, while you whittle away at their health.

There is a nice reward waiting for you once you emerge victorious from the fray ;)

6. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #26 abstractgamefreak, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    100% agree. I actually like, that you do not have 300+ cards and lots of iAPs (Ascension) or grinding like in Hearthstone. This is a quick, streamlined, easy to grasp deckbuilder with some interesting decisions to make- sometimes less is more. No game-breaking cards either. If I want complicated, I'd play Race for the Galaxy or Blue Moon, with real cards.

7. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Really enjoying the campaign so far, and think it is a very fun game. Works great on my iPad Air.

I don't have any UI issues except one minor complaint that I wish I could double tap a card to zoom in on it instead of press and hold. But this is a minor inconvenience that does not detract from the fun deck building game.

8. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    @Ayjona: thanks that helped!

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yer welcome! Do tell me if you figure out a way to beat the Pirates of the Dark Star on Hard ;)

10. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I also agree with this.

Maybe it's not the slickest UI, but perfectly usable. Having played many other card games on iOS (Ascension, Hearthstone, Magic, Summoner Wars, etc), it's a solid addition to the strategic deck building genre.

Some have compared it unfavourably to Ascension. Both are the same style of game, but the same has been said of Hearthstone and Magic: both good, popular games but each with their own valid and different style. Star Realms is faster and slicker than Ascension, but lacks the customization and variety of cards. It certainly does have depth, and may well appeal to people who enjoy Ascension.

If anyone is undecided, it's free to try. Give it a go and you might really enjoy it.

11. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    right, it's NOT slick but all the other games you mention ARE so why, with all those examples of what people like already out there, do they release this game with such a crappy UI? i have to look twice to see if that's my discard pile or a station, I don't want my opponent sharing my Attack/Trade displays, i don't want to tap an arrow to see the next card, geez, don't we swipe now?! and why can't i select the card i want from these enlarged images? and what's with this long tap to enlarge? the pop up allowing me to discard a card more than half the time covers the card i want to discard (and i could go on).

yeah, it's free but with SO many of the popular card games out there to view as examples of what people want, why do they give us this? i see on iTunes it gets lots of 5 stars but it has yet to be in the top 10 downloads and i think it is simply because the UI is so amateurish.

12. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    You make good points about how the UI could be improved, but clearly it bothers some people more than others. Hopefully the developers will listen to advice like yours, and add some control options and maybe adjust the display.

For me this is a good game with some interesting mechanics, and the interface does not spoil it. The free version lets players see that the controls are different to standard Playdek ones, and people can buy or not as they wish.

13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    The UI could use some polish, but the game is excellent. Just like Ascension and Penny Arcade. I'm a big fan of both if those, so I'm really liking this one. I bought the full game almost immediately after the tutorial.

14. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    one of my points. it goes without saying the developers want you to buy it but increased sales also benefits everyone playing the game. if few people buy it then future support might be in jeopardy. that means no bug fixes, no updates, no enhancements. all i'm saying is the funky UI may be turning people away from purchasing this (me) and they may just screw around with the free version then move on. if they quickly optimize/polish the UI it could very well impress those like me who don't think it's worth 5 bucks in its present state.

15. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well ... the AI is well done, the gameplay is good ... different AI level, MP and a campaign ... the UI is not perfect ... ok ... :)

Nevertheless: In my opinion this is worth 4,49 €! :D

But: You get even more: You get for that 4,49 € also the complete PC version! For the money of a burger at Mc Donalds you get a real good game for PC /Mac / iOS / Android ... and people complain about that? :eek:

Mack, most of the time I do agree with you but in this case I think you are on a wrong way ... ;)

16. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    fine, then you settle for this:
    [​IMG]

but i want this:
    [​IMG]

:D

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    But not for 4,49 € ... come on, Buddy, be fair! ;)

18. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #38 Mack the Knife, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    i'm sure somewhere in the world during some "eat this and die young" festival you can find that for $5 but to counter your argument, Hearthstone is free. but enough quibbling, i don't think it's worth 5 bucks, you do, i'm right, you're wrong, let's leave it at that. :D

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Sure, the UI is clunky and feels like it was designed for a PC, but it's far from unplayable. I almost avoided downloading it after reading some of the complaints, but I'm glad I ignored the drama queens and gave the game a shot. It's well worth the 5 bucks.

20. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Plus, the McDonalds burger isn't even made out of real meat. At least I know what I'm getting with Star Realms.