Universal Star Nomad Elite, 2d spacesim tribute to elite, privateer & escape velocity!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AH_Phan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Seconded, I remember Elite on my beloved Acorn Electron (couldn't afford a BBC :eek:).

Right on commander!

2. crosseyedmary

crosseyedmary Active Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Help! I bought this game because I loved Privateer and Elite Frontier on the PC many years ago. However I have found Star Nomad Elite virtually unplayable on my iPad mini. Initially the game would not load and I had to reboot the iPad before it would work. When I try and play the loading bar is red for several minutes then it may load or crash to a white screen. I only bought this game today and I am giving up. It's a shame as the developer is very active on the forum and it looks fun. It's just way to buggy for me.

3. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Is it the iPad mini with Retina or 1st gen? The game won't work on older non Retina devices.

Please email me ([email protected]) and I'll happily refund you via paypal.

4. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    The fact you would do this is the reason why I've decided to support you and download your game. I was on the fence but you sir, are a class act and a rare one of a kind dev. I hope more people learn by your example.

5. crosseyedmary

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi, yes it is me you are kindly refunding and it is the original iPad mini I have. Looking at the app store I was under the impression it was optimised for Retina not that it was not compatible with earlier versions. I have not received my bill from the App Store yet as I only purchased yesterday. When in I will email. Thanks again for being so kind.

6. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Done. :) Thank you for the suggestion, I will update the description to make sure its clearer.

7. crosseyedmary

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks Huy and all the best.

8. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    On the iTunes preview page (where the link takes you on the first post in this thread before iTunes opens on your PC) for your game it says this below in the details section

Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

Not sure if you can change that to avoid further confusion as i know in the iTunes app itself it states that the game is designed only for iPhone 6/plus and retina iPads

9. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    I cannot change that one, it's the default Apple statement if your app meets their criteria. Apple requires devs to state clearly in the app description itself which devices they are targeting with their game, thus they also expect users to read it. I just need to make it clearer thats all, put in *ONLY* for emphasis.

10. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Quote for exemplary status!

Look,devs.THAT's how you treat customer!Seen that EA?Firemoneys?

@AH_Phan:Your support is astonishing,i was not really interested in the game before but i'm thinking to buy it now.

11. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Finished up the campaign and although it's not long I thought this was fun. It's worth the small purchase price to a very active indie developer. Thanks for making the game and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

12. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Is that the first "To be continued" after the fleet action in Shanghai? If so, it's only 1/2 way. :)

Otherwise if you actually beat the entire campaign, I have to say congratulations because most players will not be able to beat it. The latter 1/2 missions are very difficult.

13. Xandrak

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks for letting me know. Apparently I'm not done with the campaign :)

14. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    The first half of the campaign is like warm up mode.

The latter half is when the real battle starts. :)

To proceed on it after receiving the first "To be continued..." scene, just exit Gemini & re-enter to talk to Erica again. If you beat the entire campaign, it will explain the set up for Star Nomad 2.

15. Xandrak

Apr 10, 2013
    I just went to Corellis for the story mission but had accepted a fighting mission. Unfortunately, I was locked into the story chat while I was destroyed by the Pirates with no ability to interact with the controls. Perhaps the environment around should pause while we are frozen?

16. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Hahaha :D that is so random... normally the pirates don't patrol to where you talk. They must have chased a few trader NPCs all the way to that station and caught you. Over-sight on my part. :p

Until the next update where I can fix those sort of randomness (while its fun when it happens to others, its certainly not fun to lose your Frigate to stupid)... if it happens again next time, you can rage-quit by going to home screen before you die, kill the app from memory & restart, it will continue when you jump into that system before all that happens.

17. Xandrak

Apr 10, 2013
    Sure. Money isn't that hard to get at this stage so even losing the 237k creds isn't the end of the world. More of a suggestion for user experience. It wasn't a random patrol but rather a picked up mission that triggered on the same spot as the story mission. Normally you can't have both active but the story mission hadn't told me where to go and I found it randomly.

18. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    #118 AH_Phan, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    I'm sending an update for Apple review today, with the following changes:

Bug-fixes (Xandrak's pirate encounter in Corelis during story mission, pause bug in menus, music timeout etc).
    Slightly increase UI size (Star Map, Cargo, Zoom, Pause icons).
    Re-position mission tracker text to be bottom right of screen.
    Slightly increase insurance payout (reducing death penalty) for Frigates.
    Greatly increase insurance payout for the Yamato Mk2 Battleship. ie. from 25% -> 12.5% death penalty. (Unless you are a pro, you'll die a few times in later missions!)
    Add a separate music & all audio mute options to the title screen.
    Update tutorial (via the ? icon in title screen).
    Added a warning for new users so they are aware their device should not be very low or out of storage, else they risk losing save-data. Until my compiler or iOS updates the WKWebView engine to not clear data willy nilly, a warning is all I can do.

Hopefully it will be approved soon. :)

19. Sonicx

Sonicx Active Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi
    Playing on iPad mini Retina and have black bars up and down. Is that normal? And also have the problem if the game is running in the background it drains the battery. Thx for reply

20. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    #120 AH_Phan, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    It's HD widescreen since its my identical PC/MAC build. The game was designed to play best on widescreen due to FoV (field of view) and AI LoS (line of sight) calculations.

Try in your settings: General -> Background App Refresh, disable it. It will prevent a lot of apps (including Star Nomad Elite) from updating or waking up the wi-fi during idle. The other option is to double tap the home button to bring up a list of apps in the background & remove SNE. It's not optimal, but I have to wait for iOS updates to fix some bugs in their new engine.

Thanks for playing! :)