Universal Star Nomad Elite, 2d spacesim tribute to elite, privateer & escape velocity!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AH_Phan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Has anybody tried the new version on a 4s running 8.x? I'd like to support an active dev but this is my go to device atm.

2. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I had the free version and paid $5 something for extra money, I take it now that I won't ever get a update now.?

3. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Unfortunately due to the incompatible compilers, I couldn't roll an update, it would wipe save data. Also the older compiler is quite slow running javascript so all the new features I can't add to it, it'll slow down too much.

Please contact me via email: [email protected] with your preferred email and I'll paypal you the $5 something to compensate.

4. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    No no thanks for the offer for a refund but it's cool you deserve the money I don't mind supporting a good dev when they do awesome work. Do me a favour thou don't spend it all at once. ;)

5. dr. radicals

dr. radicals Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I bought this on principle. Especially after seeing the refund comment. I'm probably not going to ever be able to play it very much, but keep being awesome.

6. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Hmm, had a user say he lost his save progress on a review, I am dumbfounded how it could happen since no such thing ever occurred during testing.

I save the data locally in the app folder, its a very small file, ~1MB tops.

It turns out iOS8's auto-clean process is allowed to delete files generated by apps in its folder if the OS is running out of storage space. OMG. o_O

7. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Some devs just give you those good feels to where you can't wait to see what they do next!

8. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    #88 Malrulezzzu, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    I have a backlog of games on iOS , Steam , Xbox one and 360 but I am still going to buy your game right now because of 3 reasons...

1) You participate in the forum
    2) I love the genre
    3) You deserve to make money just by how you deal with customers and potential customers and for making what looks like a cool game. So I am off to buy the game right now.

EDIT I OWN YOUR GAME :)

9. Luchashaq

Luchashaq New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Just registered an account here and bought the game because of what you offered as a refund to that guy.

10. Gavinrwse

Gavinrwse New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    I think dangerous is a great space sim like elite, but think they stopped supporting it.[​IMG]

11. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Love the genre and even though I haven't had the time to play other games in similar genres that are in my backlog, add me to the readers on this forum who will pick this up in part because of your interaction and attitude. Well done.

12. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Sorry I should of clarified I was talking about TA not letting me post for some reason.

13. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Have you considered controller support? Since I just ordered me first iOS controller I'm looking forward to more and more games they offer controller support. Of course, if you won't in the future I'll still support you regardless, just a thought.

14. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thank you! :)

I hate to think users feel rip off by me (its not why I made games) so I don't mind to refund. But if my wife knew, she'll definitely be extremely pissed at me! haha

I played it on Android, it's good but the controls felt very awkward, but maybe its just me. Another great spacesim is Galatic Phantasy Prelude: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/galactic-phantasy-prelude/id561459499

15. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    LOL You had me running to & from people in charge of the compiler trying to find that firewall block bug.. in fact it can potentially happen with strict firewall apps, because I am simulating the PC game inside iOS8's new WKWebView browser engine. :p

Yes! I was half-way to finishing implementing it for the PC with gamepad/keyboard flight/UI, but the flight felt very awkward to me, so I kept the keyboard UI function only. It's because the entire game is designed around the one-touch mechanics, fast combat is tense/frantic with dog-fighting & activating modules/missiles. With a gamepad/keyboard, that feeling is lost!

16. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Hopefully you can play & beat it before I finish making Star Nomad 2. :D

17. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Is there no in-game menu? I mean like a menu to go back to the main screen or to save the game. Does the game just auto-save when you press the iPhone home button? Sorry I didn't have much time to explore the game yet but I was just wondering about those things.

18. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    It's designed so that you cannot pick & choose to save/reload and encounters are randomized, adds to the thrill. :p

The save system automatically save every-time you jump, undock, complete/fail missions or die. Just make sure your device isn't out of storage! :eek:

As soon as I figure out how to implement iCloud saves, i'll do it, since its a very useful feature to have.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    And this would be why I like it better on iOS. ;)

20. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    iCloud save would be great as this is pretty rough on my phone battery so I would like the ability to swap between devices. I've played it a little so far and it's been alright although I need to try out the story missions.