Universal Star Nomad Elite, 2d spacesim tribute to elite, privateer & escape velocity!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AH_Phan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Lol that's horrible , I'm laughing with you hopefully... Yes ios does have advantages I know. I just seen some ports get criticized for being 4.99 when the same game not streamlined on GOG would cost 20. I may give ios dev another shot when I get my watchkit.

2. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Still waiting on anybody's impressions on iPhone 5S. If anybody takes the plunge please post. I'd love to purchase this game but am a bit reluctant with no impressions or even an idea if it runs on the device.

3. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I don't recommend it, I could not enjoy it on such a small screen. But then I never game on mobiles smaller than 4.5 so I can't say for other people's experiences. :p

What I can say, is it works perfect on 4.7 devices & above.

4. byronbulb

byronbulb Active Member

Jun 17, 2009
    That's great to hear - I did notice that all of a sudden my threejs apps were running ok on ios where they crawled before the update (though that might be because webgl is now supported...)

I'm really looking forward to your game - elite and escape velocity are all-time favorites of mine.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Flatspace was removed a LONG time ago, very long. I also miss that one. Star Nomad Elite and Space Story are the most similar iOS alternatives to Flatspace I've found.

6. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Good tip on space story.. What is this elite you speak of? Dangerous, or unknown, or is there another elite clone I should be looking for? Thanks in advance?

7. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Any other impressions for a iphone 5 size screen? How much do i have to squint?

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    AH_Phan, thank you for replying to my comments. You seem like a really straight up guy, and we are similar in the fact that i quit my phd for the same reasons like you, and we hate iaps.
    Perhaps the best solution for android games would be as you say, free trial games with iap to unlock the full. So if they pirate it or not, they still pirate a trial, and have to pay for the game.
    Anyway, i wanted to wish you good luck for your game. I will pass on this one, since i tried the free star nomad and got horribly, absolutely lost in space and destroyed, so i don't think this game type is for me. But you have earned my positive view as a dev, so i will look to any future projects you make :)

9. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Ahh, but being lost & destroyed is part of the fun. (Maybe too hardcore/crazy?) :p

It may not feel like it at first, but as soon as you figure out how to not get destroyed, the game suddenly becomes fun. Then later, as soon as enemies melt before you, dishing retribution back for all the times they sent you into your life-pod.. yeah, you're suddenly the god of the entire sector.

It's a lot easier now than the earlier builds. With widescreen zoom out in combination with merchants posting SOS comms and the indicator to where they are being attacked by pirates, you can avoid nearly all encounters by paying attention. Once you get an EMP module, encounters you can't avoid, you can EMP and run for it. In combination with point defenses destroying enemy missiles chasing your tail & zig-zag flying, you get to decide all engagements on your terms.

10. MingHui

MingHui New Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Will it run on iPad 2?

11. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    I did not test due to lack of devices on hand. :eek:

12. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    So glad they added iPhone support. I loved this gem on my iPad but sold my iPad Air and iPhone 4S to get an iPhone 6 Plus so I had missed playing this.

The AppStore has been missing privateer, elite type games.

13. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    A recommendation from Unfrozen is all I need to take the plunge. Thanks for weighing in.

14. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Instantly downloaded. I don't know if you remember me from the free version (I'm the one that suggested the pause button)'but I will support a dev like you any day. You are the first dev I've seen actually show he's a person and talk about things that are personal. Just like your reddit thread, you've shown that you want to do well, but you also don't want to cause someone hardship and for this I will always follow your games. The compassion you have for your work and fellow man should be part of any great person. You have a true fan here, and like I said at the start, instant download. I loved the free version and am
    sure this will be even better!

ALSO: I couldn't post this from the app for some reason, I had to use safari.

15. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Make sure you grind up a bit to get a better ship early on. If you enter a red zone system in the starter ship you can't run or gun your way out. As I realized to my own tragedy twice.

There is chatter from the start on potential trade rewards for bringing the workers at a station in Osaka system beer, as they have run dry. Beware this sirens call until you are better equipped.

16. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    The best & safest way to play is to do trade routes around Al Dhanab, then maybe some mining there too (mining in Pyrenees is very good profit for low risk). Save your credits to buy modules first, such as EMP, Shield Matrix & Point Defense. You never lose modules on death due to insurance, so invest in it first.

Then buy a new ship, Stilleto/Centurion, now you're ready for combat missions. Or Galaxy, for trading in other regions.

Don't rush for a new ship without modules, because the ship insurance only covers 75%. :)

A more risky start is smuggling Contra at Epsilon & sell it in Kirov (no militia patrols in Yamada/Confed systems to bust your drug smuggling!), but you'll have to know how to avoid pirate patrols for that.

17. RenTin850

RenTin850 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #57 RenTin850, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    I've been on the edge of my seat long enough. I'm picking this one up. Thanks to the dev for bringing a game like this to iOS.

18. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thank you for the support, I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing my creations bring some fun into the lives of my fellow man. :)

If any of you guys did not see the Wanderers short film, definitely watch it and be inspired. We are all one when viewed from the vastness of space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6goNzXrmFs

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ok, just picked this up. Cldn't resist, gotta give my support to a dev like this. Can't wait to play. Leave my imps later;)

20. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    There has been problems with the app as of late. I can't post on the comments section unless I reset the app. Never had problems with the forums though. It's like you have my problem but reversed.