Universal Star Nomad 2, tactical squad space trader/combat sim w/ conquest & random encounters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AH_Phan, Oct 2, 2015.

1. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Only a true geek would catch that! :)

I have to admit, I am heavily influenced by old sci-fi and fantasy classics and novels. A little old-school as it were.

@klink Thanks, I hope so...

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nah, that one is pretty well-known, "true geek" is when you can quote the full scene (which I can't, despite seeing the movie at least a dozen times) ;)
    Conan the Barbarian was one of the first fantasy movies for adults I ever saw, so naturally it made quite the impression on young me.
    Sidenote: If you like Conan, take a look at Valhalla Rising, it has a very similar style.

Well, we aren't getting any younger, are we? Same here, I grew up with all the classics too.

3. guzhenjie1

guzhenjie1 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Is there any chance SN2 will release in this week?

4. TangyRedSmurf

TangyRedSmurf Member

Jan 14, 2016
    I would love to know too!

5. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Sorry for the late response, it didn't send the post notification to my email.

It's been accepted by Apple for release!

I've set it to release on June 1st 9AM GMT.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Cheers and congratulations, that's great news! Waiting for June 1 now... ;)

7. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I am so excited for this because it is giving me heavy vibes of Subspace/continuum the old school PC game I played for about 12-15 years! Hoping it has a great story to go with the sweet looking game play.

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've been playing Star Nomad 2 on steam and I love it. The basic game of flying around shooting bad guys is quite fun. But where this game really shines is that it's very deep. Over time you build up your ship and eventually a squadron. There's more then one way to accomplish your goals. For example you can focus on being a trader or taking out pirates or aligning yourself with a faction. I can't think of another game like it on mobile.

Attached Files:

9. TangyRedSmurf

TangyRedSmurf Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hitting that buy button #

10. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
  11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Congratulations are in order, it seems!
    One question: The app descriptions says "Made for the iPad Air/Mini 2...", which is a bit unclear.
    Does this mean "iPad Air 2 / iPad Mini 2" or "iPaid Air 1, and Mini 2"?
    I am still on an Air 1, so better safe than sorry.

12. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    iPad Air (first)
    iPad Mini 2

And newer. :)

My own test development devices are these two, they are pretty old and it's optimized to run well for these ones.

I should update the description to clarify. Thanks!

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks! Off to download now ;)

Btw: You should open a new thread in the "iPhone and iPad Games" section, so more people notice it's out.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Played a few minutes, good first impression.
    Only problem is that I don't hear any sound or music, even with the volume cranked up to the max. iPaid Air 1, iOS 9.3.2, not jailbroken.

Oh, and I miss something like a message or questlog ;) I immediately forgot where the intro tells me to go to, and would like to be able to look that up somewhere.

Hint for others:
    Restrain yourself from using missiles (too much). At least with the starter budget, those things are bloody expensive. I blew through a hefty chunk of money reloading the launchers, basically for nothing. As it was only one brief fight against 2 pirates, I'll just start over.

15. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    In the start menu, there's an option for audio/music, it may require turn it off (set to zero) and on again if its not activating. After that, subsequent start, you can skip the intro and audio should start.

I've tested this a lot on my iPad Air (1st gen)... but you can never be truly fool-proof with the mysterious ways that iOS works.

Go to New Hope. :) And yes, do not spam missiles until you are 1) wealthy or 2) able to secure the kill.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks! I'll try that and let you know if it worked.

17. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Oh, there's a quest log for important quests when you dock. For everything else, the Star Map serves as a news service / log as well as navigation. You can figure where you should go based on what you want to do with all the random events (red icons), touch it for more info.

18. DGee

DGee Member

I had the no sound/music issue on iPhone 6+, too. Setting to 0 and then back to 3 worked for me. Looking forward to trying this on my iPad later when I get home - only had a quick play on iP6+. Really confused initially as to what I should be doing but will hopefully become clearer when I spend some time with it.

19. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thank you, I found that bug. It apparently happens if you watch the entire intro and don't touch the screen. It doesn't initialize the sound engine.. until you turn it on manually in the options menu.

If you press the skip intro icon it starts it up properly. This is an oversight on my behalf when I tried to get compatibility with iOS9+'s new sound engine, as it requires user interaction before audio can play.

You guys may find it surprising, but audio was my biggest headache with this PC port. :)

I'll have a small update out to resolve this so that others don't run into this issue. I hear Apple approves of updates really quick these days.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Talk about stupid software design decisions... :p