Universal Star Nomad 2 (by Anh Huy Phan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    That's really COOL, thanks!

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Too bad, but perfectly understandable. Fingers crossed we'll get it as DLC somewhere down the road ;)

And that can turn into a downward spiral faster than you can say "weapons free, fire at will" :p

Looking forward to finding those, still barely scratched the surface when it comes to exploring.

3. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
  4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
  5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Suggestion: you may wish to check out some information about Orion Pirates form Star Fleet Battles, they have no "territories" in political sense, but they have clans system where each clan has some sort of "business area" which borders with two or more major powers to facilitate their "business" between political powers.

6. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    1. How can you sign up to be a merc for a particular faction???

They(NPC) mention this on radio but never see any options

2. Where are and who are the Imperials??

They mention that they pay good bounties but I can't find any info any where of thier location

7. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Loved the first one, busy with a backlog of games right now but I will 100% pick this up at a future date!

Hopefully by than the new ships/content etc. and whatever bugs there might be get fixed.

Can't wait, I love knowing I've got a great game to look forward too!

8. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    1. On their Homeworld, there's a recruiter NPC you can talk to to formally Ally.

2. Human Empire => Imperials. :)

The Free Union do pay the least for bounties.

9. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    A!!!! mazing !!

10. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thanks man!

So far so good, not many bug reports at all. It either means its very polished, or very few players are even playing it to report bugs! haha

Looks like one of you guys here beat the game already so there's no reported bugs from him either. :)

ps. I killed heaps of bugs in the Beta for the PC, then post-release, killed a lot more bugs. Used that build as the port basis so it *should* be relatively bug-free.

@currymutton

Thanks for the suggestion!

11. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Okay. Picked this up Sunday. Am having a ton of fun flying around and dying. I switched to merchant because of those pesky pirates and Zerkers (those bad boys are TOUGH).

I hit a frustrating point last night. I had a random npc encounter. The guy wanted me to deliver his cargo... Fast! So, I agreed, but I missed the system I was supposed to go to. Also, my cargo bay is empty. Anything I'm missing?

I'm at the Starborn home planet, by the way.

Also, I love the universe you built. I wish I could learn more of its history. More specifically, I'd like to learn more about the factions and why they're at war. Is there an article somewhere that tells more about them?

12. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    #172 AH_Phan, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Merchant is the safest start and a good merchant always earn a lot of credits. :)

You can toggle pause whenever you need extra time to read some info or random encounter dialogue. For future encounters. I think that one may be a data crystal delivery, hence it won't show up in your tradegood cargo. Don't accept these random encounter quests unless you are willing to do it, a lot of them are urgent so if you fly around elsewhere, the data is erased and the mission is void.

For more info: https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/star-nomad-ii/

This is the back story:

Humanity have long ago suffered an extinction-event of our own making. Few survived.

Those who did, committed themselves into the unknown with a leap of faith through an unstable wormhole, in a last ditch effort to save mankind.

The survivors, the best & brightest of our species, arrived on a distant planet, alien but with life-sustaining qualities similar to that of Earth. Determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past, colonists & those who led them toiled to create a thriving colony. They called it Liberty.

In time, humanity grew and spread, with new colonies on new worlds connected by technology that stabilize ephemeral wormholes. The colonies, under civil & corporate management together formed the Free Union, sharing the same goals & aspirations.

Humanity prospered, ushering in a new technological era, one where genetic diseases can be eradicated, broken limbs or failing organs replaced by better cybernetic or engineered variants. Progress was rapid, much too fast for culture or ethics to fully comprehend or contain.

Soon, humanity splintered into three distinct groups, those who were enhanced, through cybernetic or bio-genetically modified augmentations, and those who were considered “pure”. Inevitably, fear & loathing spawned tension.

The first spark was thrown by a terrorist of the Human Empire, a movement led by nobles who held the view that people who are artificially enhanced are no longer part of humanity. They are no more than a creation; “a droid or synthetic organ that talk or walk does not a human make”.

Jealousy & mistrust grew the ranks of the Human Empire, the terrorist organization grew too powerful to ignore. The Free Union exiled the Human Empire followers, sending them to an uncharted quadrant.

However, peace was short lived, the ideology divide between those who enhance their bodies and minds with cybernetics versus those who push the boundaries of genetic engineering was too great to co-exist. The Free Union offered newly discovered systems for the two groups to colonize, to build their own domains and live by their own prejudices & destiny.

With the passing of time, the divide has led to an even more polarization of views & beliefs among the three Factions, with the manifestation of their desires made a reality.

The geneticists have pushed beyond the boundaries of the human genome by incorporating xeno-genetics, splicing beneficial variants into embryos of each new generation. Desirable traits such as physical appearance, strength, speed, reflex & resilience along with neural processing capabilities were greatly enhanced. No longer fully human, they call themselves: Starborn.

Meanwhile, the Omni, more cybernetics than flesh & each a host to millions of nanobots, have achieved the singularity event. With the digitization of their consciousness, the Omni have achieved immortality, the long sought destiny of mankind. This gift is one that must be shared with those who have yet to transcend the flesh & mortality…

-------------------------

^ You'll gain this knowledge in your journey, from random encounters as well as NPC chatter as you fly about in different faction space.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    This is a great RPG setting. If you should make another game in this universe, can we have that, pretty please with sugar on top? ;)

Playing in the "Great Divide"* era you describe sounds really interesting:
    "Pure Human" supremacist terrorists/Empire going all Butlerian Jihad on the Starborn and Omni.
    Starborn just wanting to be left alone so they can splice more genes.
    Omni hell-bent on "spreading the word" like the good little zealots they are. Especially for them I can imagine it perfectly: super-fanatic preacher-types toiling about the virtues of the Singularity, while flooding the space station they are on with their nano-machines to "help others to ascend".

And an overwhelmed and unprepared Free Union trying to keep everything from falling apart, overreacting and coming down hard on anyone/thing they see as threat to the fragile "peace".

*I originally had "first splintering" here, even checked back on Dune for inspiration (The Shattering, "thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind" and all that). But "Great Divide", born from your line With the passing of time, the divide... sounds best to me.

14. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    @Nullzone
    It's not everyday one sees references to the Butlerian Jihad!

I'm a big Frank Herbert fan. :) Prefer Dune series over Star Wars, by far.

What you'll find though, is there's no good or bad guys in this universe. Just different perspectives.

Even Pirates aren't so bad, as Talon can attest to.

I had much more lore about each Faction.. but I never fully developed it (out of funds/time!).

An example, the Starborn being xeno-genetically engineered are quite interesting. There's this question though, since their society are all engineered for "perfection", what happens to individuals who failed? ie, not every biological experiment is successful... which leaves a class of sub-Starborn who are malformed and suffering the scars in the name of progress. Slaves to the "Master Race"? Which leads to the player able to do something about it, bring about true change, freedom if they so wish...

Each faction was planned to have a unique quest line that explores these deeper questions, ultimately, what it is to be human.

I didn't want to bring this up, because some of you will feel like you have a lesser form of the game when you find out all the things planned but didn't make it... but alas, it's the reality of being a broke solo developer. I learnt quickly to prioritize and focus on what I could achieve with limited $ & time.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Same here, applause for the great classics.

Also same here ... and death by fire to the heresies that came after (aka "the Abomination done by his son and Anderson").

As so often, it's in the eye of the beholder. I like it when stories etc. don't try to pass moral judgement, but present stuff "as is" and let you come to your own conclusions. And lots of times the truly amoral ones (K.E. Wagner's Kane, anyone?) are the most interesting.

Rooting that we'll see more of it someday.

And I remembered what was a vague shadow in my mind when I wrote about the Omni zealots:
    The Haussmann cult's indoctrination virus from Alastair Reynold's Chasm City. I can very much imagine them spreading that stuff everywhere.

16. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    This. All this is why I'm loving this game. I'm running around, selling medicines to those in need, trying to help everyone, but listening to each group, and trying to figure out who I'll ultimitely side with.

As of now, that's totally up in the air, which is awesome. I agree with Nullzone, I'd rather not feel dirty for playing the "bad guy". I'd rather each group have their own reasons for their actions, all of which are perfectly reasonable from a specific point of view.

Great job on the game! I'll definitely be purchasing any future releases of yours. You got yourself a fan here. :)

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just for the record: Very often I'm on "team bad guys". Empire any day, what's with that silly Rebellion? :D

But I think we both mean the same.
    And fully agree, that you have so many choices is just great. Example:
    In my game, I decided pretty early on that I won't deal in contraband, buy from Pirate planets, etc. The Omni screwed it up on their own, by blasting me out of space (the "shoot first, don't ask questions later" approach) the one time I visited a system of theirs.
    For no particular reasons, my first longer trip outside of Free Union space led me to the Human Empire. One of the first things that happens is that the Starborn come flying in and attack everyone in sight, including me. So that's the second faction who starts off on pretty hostile terms with me and doesn't make a good first impression. The Human Empire on the other hand was friendly and okay, so my sympathies are with them.

Had I gone to Omni space first, for example, things might have taken a completely different turn.
    And I definitely want to do another playthrough where I do things very different than now (e.g. smuggle all the illegal stuff, side with Pirates when I deem it convenient, etc.).

18. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    #178 Ikeda, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    See.. and I love my Omni game. It's fun helping them unite the universe under their techonocracy.

That being said, it's on Easy and I feel like I'm getting to the point where I need to up it up to Roguelike since that's normal for me generally.

Also, whats up with lack of Reviews? I read the one guys review and scoffed so I posted my counter review. I don't get it. This is pretty much everything I like about Scifi games. Just put me in a universe and leave me alone. I'll decide what I want to do.

Shame about the Pirates though. I really did want to start my own revolution with them and completely try to unhinge the galaxy.

If you're planning on adding things, the one thing I miss and wish I saw more of, what NPCs on the planet/station. Every once in a while I see one, but for the most part they're not there. I kinda wish they had a couple more, even if it were things like "pssst, 1000 for a lead on a treasure" or "hey, I got some cheap black market stuff but as soon as you launch you'll get blasted for having it" kind of NPCs.

19. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Thanks for the kick in the butt. Just left my own review. Sorry it took so long!

20. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thanks @Ikeda & @ludka33 for the reviews, it helps a lot in the early days.

Have you guys used Mercenaries? The winman you can hire on some ports, what are your thoughts?