Universal Star Nomad 2 (by Anh Huy Phan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm a little stuck in my game....decided to go Omni early on and I'm up to 650 rep, flying the drone frigate Revenant. Everything was going well until the humans captured Beatleguese and Meissa....now I'm backed into a corner with my allies and not making any progress. Any tips?

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Havelcek: No tips for you, sorry, quite the other way around ;)
    How did you start out siding with the Omnis? The one time I visited one of their systems early on, they shot me to pieces pretty fast.

And interesting. In my game, the Starborn in the NW corner took over the Omni planets sandwiched between them and the Empire, while the Omni worlds in the SE fight a drawn-out but losing battle against the Empire.

3. daan_vb

daan_vb Member

May 1, 2013
    I haven't had any takeover of planets yet, is that something that we can influence or is it an AI thing? How/when does it occur?

4. footnote

footnote Active Member

May 12, 2012
    This looks awesome, does it have an EVE feel to it?

5. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I'll see what I can do. I'll test an alternate control scheme and if its good I can add it to the Options Menu, like a toggle.

I'm thinking the red dot center can be a toggle, for main thrusters on/off so you fly forward or stop. Then the circle edges only determine side thrusters for rotation.

6. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    A player emailed me this:

"Ok so after playing for a big on my iPhone 6 I can see that the text and ui is kinda small but not really a big deal still very playable and I have downloaded other games into my phone that were much harder to read and play such as baldurs gate so this is way better than that for readability."

It is definitely more squinty text, because the field of view ratio is the same. Actually, on 16:9 iPhone 6 and 6+, you get a larger view (see further from your ship).

7. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    #147 AH_Phan, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    If you're not ranked up with a squad to be a strong deciding force during fleet sieges, it is best to smuggle drugs to the enemy faction worlds. It works best if you can drug their Homeworld and other core worlds. It will massive cripple their economies, reducing fleet construction and buy you & Ally Omni a breathing space to recover. This is an option for players to be sneaky or fight "dishonorably". :)

You know your drugs are having an effect, when you receive XP/rep and the world is afflicted with "Destitute (Mass Addictions)". The more drugs you smuggle, the longer the effect lasts.

Once you have at least 2 squad recruits and a Frigate onwards, your little ragtag band can help fight alongside your Ally's fleet, focus firing down smaller ships first.

Note, once you choose to be a formal Ally, the victory & defeat conditions are active.

Victory: You help your Ally conquer the other two, wiping them off the map.
    Defeat: Your Ally loses their Homeworld, banished from being a credible force again.

8. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009

Guess I'm sold then. I've enjoyed both Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale on my iPhone 6. Thinking this will be fine.

9. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Both.

The AI's fleet size is determined by it's economy, each world contributes resources to construct ships on the Homeworld.

Defend always takes priority, so the AI likes to reserve some ships for defending. If it has excess ships, it will consider launching an invasion force.

However, you can initiate an invasion yourself if you are strong enough. But I'll let players find this on their own play.

10. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I'll be honest, I sided with Omni from the get go. We've subsequently pushed across the entire middle of the galaxy. I THOUGHT I could take part in the Seige of the Federation homeworld... yea.... I got mauled. But that's ok. I'm only at like 380 rep with them right now and still a small fry.

BUT I've helped push them quite a ways. Pirates and those Ravagers (or whatever) are KILLING me though. They are everywhere and even when I kill them, it doesn't seem to dwindle their numbers. The worst is Beetleguice right now. If I don't stay on top of it, I'm going to lose that darned system. ALL THREE FACTIONS are attacking it at once. It's both fun and crazy at the same time.

11. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Pirates are attracted worlds with crippled economies.

The reason is two-fold:

1. Weaker local patrols due to weaker economies.
    2. Merchants are attracted to worlds with a trade crisis because they are actively trying to ship goods there to resolve it.

This increased merchant traffic, weaker patrols combine meaning systems with a trade crisis tend to get repeated Pirate Raids.

Don't mess with Zerkers until you have at least 2 squad recruits. It gets easier as they rank up too, some of their Perk Upgrades are game-changing.

ps. It's Betelgeuse. A very bright Star within the Orion constellation... "Attack ships on fire off the shoulders of Orion".. ;)

12. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I don't care if it's a PM or a message here, can someone please tell me where to respec? I'm trying a light carrier build and I originally set my levels for increases in my turrets, leaving me feeling crippled. I was doing better with a smaller, faster ship than I have since trying two other types.

13. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Done!

The upgraded Corvettes with the right spec is very viable late-game. You can out-run all missiles & drones with a speed build, with good evasion against M & L bigger turrets.

Bigger is not always better, it depends on the play-style & spec.

Though I hear Drones/Carriers are pretty good..

14. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Corvettes seem to fit pretty good with me, but the Omni have poor choices for them. Maybe something I should have investigated before I chose them as my ally.

15. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    #155 AH_Phan, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    That's true. The best Corvettes are Starborn, Empire and Free Union. Omni is more suited for tank & spank, as their all armor + hull regeneration allows for resistance stacking against a certain damage type (Kinetic vs Starborn, Energy vs Empire etc), making them tank very well.

Edit: Oh, you can cancel your Ally status with them if you wish, talk to the recruiter on their Homeworld again and they will offer that option.

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I know, unfortunately I have a 0 rating with star born and the empire now lol. My free Union is still around 400, so I may have to look into going that route.

17. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I don't want to give any spoilers, but what "game over" means on easy mode? All progress is loss?

18. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    If you manage to win or be defeated, with the popup informing you, it's technically "game over", but you may continue to play, it will save your progress still.

If you've won, start a new game on Roguelike mode, the way it's meant to be played. :)

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @AH_Phan:
    Is it possible to permanently cripple/destroy the Pirates?
    I am almost there for buying a Drone Cruiser. Once I got that I'll pay the Pirate Worlds in the NE a - definitely non-courtesy ;) - visit.
    So I am curious if e.g. shooting down their ships as soon as they leave the factory on their homeplanet can for example reduce the number of raids they can stage. And, if other factions will move in and try to capture those planets; like e.g. the Starborn did with all the Omni worlds on their border.

20. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    @Nullzone
    Unfortunately no, the Pirates as they are, aren't simulated for economy <-> fleet construction. They are like the typical Pirates in all the space games, fodder.

The original plan was to make the Pirates a major faction that can gain and lose territory as well based on the player's actions. But I had to tone down some of the scope due to running out of funds & time.

Though how often and where Pirates raid, are in response of conditions in those systems and faction.

There are major Pirate-faction changing conditions on some quest/missions, if you fail, the Pirates will gain major upgrades/tech and become powerful.