Universal Star Nomad 2 (by Anh Huy Phan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    #181 ludka33, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    I haven't hired a merc. I don't really plan on it, either. At the early stages, I don't want to spend the credits. At later stages, I'm stronger, and I've got Talon on my side (I haven't got really far in-game, but I hear folks saying "he's no pushover). :)

Guards are usually something I don't use in any games. Just a general rule.

Edit: Also, back to the lore question. Would playing the first game give me a deeper understanding of the factions? Or is it more a "Star Nomad 2: Lite"?

2. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    This is very much a game for a niche crowd, I knew that during development. On the PC, most of the reviews were good fortunately, from various sites & youtubers. But there were a few very hostile reviews, with the most common complaints:

1. They say the combat is arcade and simplistic, twitchy and lacking in tactical depth.

2. They say there's a lack of direction, no way to know where to go or what to do.

These complaints are valid. In the starter ship, you can't do much by yourself except fly smart and make the most of your opportunities. When you become better, with a new ship, modules and have some squad mates, the tactical possibilities increase. It rises over time on your journey.

As for the lack of direction, that's also true, you have to use the information available and decide for yourself. Good for those with a sense of curiosity.

This review just came in: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Star+Nomad+2/review.asp?c=70336

It presents similar points to the above. Though on mobiles, there's the added element of a learning curve on the flight controls. But it seems he didn't enjoy it so never got beyond the starter ship from the screenshots.

Hopefully TA's reviewers give it a chance. :)

3. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Yeah I didn't think players used Mercs much, it was the same on PC watching people's Let's Play..

Mercs are great if you intend to do a long Hunting trip going through Pirate infested systems. Because Merc kills also grant you bounties & loot, so they pay for the hiring fee really quick. Plus, an extra target for enemies to shoot at it useful.

The first one is a different setting, different lore/characters, it's more story mission based rather than a sandbox.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Same as Ludka here, I only used them once or twice.
    Early on when you need them, they are too expensive. Now I have two wingmen and a Drone Frigate, and am doing well enough without a Merc.
    But, just like AH_Phan, they do provide nice extra firepower and an extra target, so they are pretty good (and really cheap once the money comes rolling in).

If you want people to use them more, how about scaling the hiring fee with player level and/or rank (rookie, ace, etc.) ? If they are more affordable early on, a huge hurdle to hiring them is removed.

What would be really nice:
    Longer merc contracts. When you hire one, you can set for how many landings he'll come along. For every landing, you need to pay the hiring fee again. This would allow to keep a merc you like for longer.

5. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Thanks @Nullzone

I think I have a good idea on a Merc buff. Rather than per docking for each contract it could be time based, this would make them much more appealing. Like they fly with you for 1H real-time. This makes them worth the investment fee.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    That actually sounds better, and makes more sense than "pay only once, I'll leave when you dock, but you can drag me through as many combats as you want before that".
    They should ask for bonus pay if they have to fight, and for a share of any bounty ;)

Hhmm, would the clock keep ticking while I'm not playing? Or would you only count the time spent flying around?

7. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Only tick in flight mode ofc. :)

8. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    I may hire them, if that were the case. Plus, I think knowing that you get credit for their kills would be a game changer. However, I don't know how you let folks know this without breaking the 4th wall.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #189 Nullzone, Jun 8, 2016
    That's easy ;) Have a Merc Guild representative explain the terms of their standard contract, of course in proper legalese:
    "And to conclude this brief overview, allow me to point you to §56, subclause 4. Very popular with our customers, if I may add. Saves a lot of hassle over payouts.
    Any and all bounties paid by third parties during duration of this contract, whether they result - directly or indirectly - from contractually defined work of the contractor are to be received in full by the contractee (That means you, by the way).
    Subclause 5 of the same defines that any other benefits <to cover reputation gain> in any shape or form - be they in addition or substitution to any bounty payment - including but not limited to those listed in Appendix D shall also be received in full by the contractee, in the same manner as stated in subclause 4 for monetary bounty payments.
    As per §57, subclauses 12-16, any additional payments beyond the scope of this contract to the contractor - before, during, and after the contractually defined work period - are at the sole discretion of the contractee.
    Ah yes, I notice it's the blank stare, as happens so often ... In short, all bounty money you earn while having a merc hired from us goes to you, no exceptions. This is better, I assume? A glass of water or some stimulants, perhaps?"

Sidenote: any good ideas for a legalese translation of "bounty"? A bit of googling didn't give me anything.

10. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    #190 ludka33, Jun 8, 2016
    Haha!

Brilliant! Make it so!

Edit: Bounty: A gratuity, or an unusual or additional benefit conferred upon, or compensation paid to, a class of persons

11. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    So, if I miss an exclamation mark, will I get another chance to do the event? Or is it gone forever?

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    So far I've seen a few that are recurring, like the merchant selling the mystery modules.
    I hope that for story events (don't think I even got one of those already) they come back if you don't take them on right away.

13. Devoid21

Devoid21 Active Member

Mar 23, 2013
    First of all, I'm really loving this game. Brings me back to my youth when games didn't hold you by the hand and really rewarded curiosity. I'll like to say thanks to the developer for bringing this to iOS and making it a premium game.

I play on my 6s+ and the latest update fix most of the issues I was having with the game. The only problem that remains for me is that when I have a ship targeted sometimes in the heat of battle I miss tap the screen and that removes the target and I have to retarget. It's a minor annoyance but I can live with it. What I would really like to have is reverse trusters. Maybe holding the break makes you go in reverse? Would make positioning so much easier I think.

14. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    One other thing. How much of a pain would it be to include some sort of ship's log that shows what you've done (kind of like stats. Favorite system, ships destroyed, etc) and where you need to go (as in the exclamation mark quests)?

15. Devoid21

Devoid21 Active Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Well, if you tap your character you get a lot of stats. Ships kills, faction rep, etc.

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Different stats are shown for your pilot based on whether in flight or docked. When you dock, at the bottom of the screen is a short log of anything that you may have yet to accomplish at certain planets, if you've accepted a mission. However, for the ones that don't allow you to dock in between, a log would be nice. Sometimes you just miss something or forget it.

17. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I'll be honest, I agree with Null and the like.

Mercs are nice, but too expensive IMO for their "use". If I'm running from, say Liberty (whatever it's called) to Omni Prime, I bunny hop. I buy some stuff enroute and jump. I keep a bit open for salvage from the fights I encounter on the way. I lose the merc after the first hop. So it hasn't been worth it FOR ME. They're too expensive when I need help, and honestly, after a couple of ship upgrades not exactly super useful later on.

I agree with the contract stuff. Nice and fluffy but without too much ado.

I'm starting Roguelike tonight. Wish me luck. I shall be on here cursing about 5 minutes after because I suck and I died :) Then I'm going to 1* review this thing (/sarcasm; I hate that I need to make sure you know this is sarcastic anymore) :p

18. AH_Phan

Aug 27, 2014
    Good-luck! It's the original game during development. I only had one difficulty mode and it was Roguelike. The others were added based on player feedback during beta on PC. :)

Note that things are overall more difficult, not just the death penalty. Your ship hull status determines docking fees because ports repair it. This is affected by your relationship to the faction's port you are landing on, so if you are in good standing there's discounts etc.

NPC Pilots also rank up as you do, and they have upgrade modules for their ships over time.

I find it changes the entire game and how you play it because death = losing everything is the prime motivator for all your actions and it's a good thing.

-------------

I'll re-work the Merc system, make them more usable/cost-effective. The plan is to make them last per time flight, and have them warn the player when they are about to expire the contract.

I'll also try get in the alternative control scheme and make it optional.

19. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    If you could also add some sort of comment when they die, that'd be good, too. I was flying around for quite some time, not knowing my merc was toast, and wondering why the pirate ships weren't getting damaged more.

20. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Great work on this Game Mr. Dev!

Is there a way to get contracts? Like a merc contract? To hunt a specific target?

I'm on some hit list some hunters are randomly attacking me I have a contract on me.

I'm having problems with exiting after picking up loot. Only way I know now is pushing the map key to enter the map and exit the map.