iPad Star Marine: Infinite Ammo - (by GlitchSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 11, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, I said why my posts were OTT and I stick by my reasons because they're the truth. I admit I was OTT but better here than on the AppStore. Even though I've never left a bad review on the AppStore even after getting royally screwed not too long ago.

So...thank you very much! :D

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well, that is the reason I am still considering picking this up. Thing is, it isn't the $2; I've wasted $2 on games many times before and will many times again. It's that I don't want to be sending the message to a developer that this sort of release is "ok;" if the worst of the impressions thus far are confirmed to be true.

3. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, is this game called "Contra" or something?

Yes I know Contra was hard, I have played the game probably more than anybody in world history. I can beat it without dying. I can probably recite the credits. The music is the ringtone on my phone. I almost got a Contra logo tattoo one time.

Contra HAD an option to make the game easier. It was called the Contra code. It's the most infamous code in the history of video games. I don't recall it costing a penny. What is everyone's point here?

4. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Just out of curiosity why do games release in this manner? How come it's not released to the entire world at one time?

5. Glitchsoft

Glitchsoft Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Whoa guys! the game isn' t even available for most of you yet and I don't even know where to start addressing this thread!

Holy!

Give me a few minutes to read through all of this....

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Coming from a hardcore gamer that has been buying video games since cartridges (on my allowance back then), I have to agree with you. Unfortunately life = consumerism to the max degree. I bought video games for an escape from real world stuff, not to have it stuck back in my face. Now I have to pay $10 for a health potion (yes exaggerated).

/sigh

7. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Actually, that's a very valid complaint against IAP that's not often mentioned: yes, it absolutely destroys immersion.

8. Glitchsoft

Jan 11, 2011
    First Up...iAp's

I apologize for not mentioning the iAP's. I wasn't aware that declaring iAP's was standard practice these days...but guys, you know how the store has evolved. Games like these cost a considerable amount of money to develop and to be honest, it isn't easy to recoup costs at $1.40 after apples cut. This video game costs the same as a can of coke!

AND...if you guys spent a bit of time getting to know the game's workings and playing it before you jumped all over the thread you would realize that we have designed the game so that the iAP's are absolutely not necessary to advance through to the very end. Every single upgrade/consumable can be purchased with gems acquired during play. We give away a lot of gems through level points, level bonuses, and in game challenges! The iAP's are there, as some have pointed out, so that novice players can advance their abilities and still enjoy themselves.

We also do a bit of balancing with the supplies screen, i.e stimpacks and the like. If you are not as strong of a player, some stimpacks can really increase the entertainment value of the game and hep you live long enough to see the game through. On the other hand, if you're more experienced you will probably never need to purchase a stimpack with your in game gems.

The game is supposed to be hard but as developer we can't put a game as hard as "Contra" out on the store. That would end up being a 2 star review suicide! We have to find other ways to inject difficulty and we chose to make set the game up so that grinding for gems became the way to advance your abilties...and we gave you tons of options for grinding. Replay, Boss Rush, Survival Mode, Challenges etc.

So, hopefully that provides some insight for you guys as to why we have iAP's. No need to fear, We're not trying to bleed your wallet dry : )

9. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    This is all too common from AppStore customers, I realize.

I haven't played the game yet but this is what I'm getting from people's rants:

The game is meant to be hard. It is a very cheap and quality representation of the game it is mimicking. IAP are available to make the time easier.

I dislike consumables as much as anyone else but this is what happens when the quality to price ratio doesn't match. If u are a person who would arguably pay more instead of having IAP, you have the choice of paying the difference to make the game easier and quite possibly more fun for yourself.

I haven't played the game yet but this is what I'm interpreting from this thread.

Conclusion:
    The majority of potential customers would likely not pay 3.99 for a quality sidescroller shooter. Those who would, have the choice to play it for the set price or pay the difference. Simple as that.

10. Rain1dog

Jul 31, 2010
    Well said, will give it a go.

11. Glitchsoft

Jan 11, 2011
    re: iPad, Universal, iCade

All of these things are nice but they increase development costs considerably (especially for HD pixel work!) We're not EA or Glu..we're a team of 5 and we have limited resources.

In order to stay in business, we have to put our games on the market and ensure the title is viable before we invest extra resources. We release the game on iPhone first because the iPhone/iPod market size is much larger and proves to be a much safer proving ground for the game IP.

If the title sees success, we would love to support it indefinitely. We're in it a long as you guys are!

12. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    I would love to have this game on my ipad. Please keep us posted.

13. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you for responding, a lot of dev's hide behind the "I don't HAVE to respond, so I won't" wall.

Now, that being said, I am aware that with app store prices being low due to an ULTRA competitive market, but I have a fairly bold statement that I'd like other forum members to quote me on here, and either agree, or disagree:

I am willing to pay (much) more than the price of a can of coke for a premium game, and would gladly do so rather than get a game cheap or free, and then have IAP's nickel-and-dime me to make up for it. I want to pay for a game ONE TIME ONLY.

I'd seriously pay triple or quadruple what you're asking for this game, but like I said, I just wanna buy it, and that's it. I know this is just one man's opinion and open to endless debate about the differences between the casual and hardcore gamer, but there HAS to be better systems than the ones we've been seeing lately. I've seen IAP/pay models absolutely decimate what would have otherwise been classic games, and as a hardcore gamer, it's very hard for me to not break out the megaphone for it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to play your game now.

14. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Wow, you people are so cheap. *buys game

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah...:(

I saw the devs post and I understand the plight, but as a hardcore gamer that supports games you have to understand the frustration. I understand your possible frustration as well. Like I said earlier we have been thrown into this crossroad and it's an utter b*tch.

It's 11, I'm about to buy!

16. Glitchsoft

Jan 11, 2011
    @Sanuku Just a quick suggestion but I think it might be much more beneficial for everyone if you spent some time paying the game and getting a feel for it before you posted your gameplay footage video. Early tutorial footage is not very representative of the best features of the game.

Here is an excellent example of a video that provides an in-depth look at what one can expect in Star Marine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=8TrwoijGlog

Cheers,

17. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I appreciate all you and your teams hard work. Im happy to purchase your game. I appreciate the fact you are willing to continue to support the title as long as it does well. Hopefully people will look past the IAP and give this game the attention it deserves. This is the type of IAP that will never bother me because it's not necessary to complete the game unlike some other developer whom shall remain nameless

18. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    GAMELOFT oops:p

19. Rain1dog

Jul 31, 2010
    Ok so far, very enjoyable.

I'm sure it's be noted that achi's load up upside down bottom screen, and so far after each stage the game crash's.

iPhone 4, restarted.

20. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Freudian slip? :p