iPad Star Marine: Infinite Ammo - (by GlitchSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 11, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I think a lot of the issue is just simply that iOS gamers got spoiled with their $.99 games and getting lots for their money.

Unfortunately, the tide is turning toward IAPs. It sucks. I just much as anyone else would have rather pay a higher price for a game than have to screw with microtransactions. People (not big gamers like those on this forum) got used to the $.99 games though and get sticker shock if it's (God forbid) $2.99 or something. So now devs are getting increasingly reliant on IAPs.

If that continues, then I'll be getting fewer and fewer iOS games.

I do reserve judgement, however, to know whether the IAPs are really necessary or if they're just "shortcuts".

That's why I'm anxious to hear more thoughts on this game.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Indeed, the base price on the App Store needs to up to 2.99, with bigger games going up to 9.99. 99c should be reserved for very rare sales.

3. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #63 Rain1dog, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    I, myself, don't like IAP dealing with core gameplay in games that I pay for.

I'd just like to see games priced fair for both Dev's and us gamers. I really don't mind paying 5, 10, 15, 20 dollars for an iOS game as long as the price reflects the quality. We can't expect as gamers to have games priced at .99 forever it's unreasonable, but IMO I'd like to just buy a game like this and not have the IAP purchases that are geared for core gameplay. I don't mind IAP purchase in a paid game for hats, robes, pets to give the dev team some extra love for a job well done.

Grrrr.... Sorry this thread is in regards to Star Marine, I apologize.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010

Truer words were never spoken.

5. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Many of the previous posts suggest that the game ushers you towards buying the consumable IAP, and list reasons. It's BS. I'll find out at the same time as you, and we'll see for ourselves. I'm going to buy it for myself, but my (extremey high) hopes have been severely tempered.

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    This is how I feel.

7. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Why, Glitchsoft? You sullied a good name! $2 is fine for a game, but charging IAPs, no universal support, and no high-resolution display? It's just uncalled for.

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    First off let me state I don't have the game (yet), I'm not defending the dev, but I'm looking at this through optimistic eyes.

Yes there are IAP's, but they don't seem to be necessary. This game looks like a "Contra" clone, I don't know how many of you played Contra, but it was HARD. The IAP's look as if they make the game easier, but is Contra supposed to be easy?

The dev has stated that if the game sells well, he will include Retina in an update. The 2 reasons for this are: The game was supposed to launch tonight, and he didn't have time to add Retina (I know this should have been a priority) and to keep the game under 20mb (which is a must for smaller devs during the opening weeks of the release).

I'm disappointed that the shooting analog is not a full 360, but I'll get over it.

Please realize that not every release is super smooth, and things CAN be added post launch, but they WON'T if everyone boycotts this.

Again I'm not defending the dev, but I think most of you are jumping the gun on this.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, words like "usher" come across more like hyperbole than factual descriptions. One man's ushering is another man's helpful suggestion. This is a subject that draws a huge amount of hyperbole and silly editorializing. The game, however, is the work of a creative team that put hours and hours into a very risky endeavor. I think that earns them the benefit of the doubt.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #70 psj3809, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Agree with this. I think people are going OTT

I've completed the first 3 levels. Haven't bought any IAP's as I don't need to. Got enough gems for a weapon. It's like bullet time, want to move ahead quickly then buy some IAP's. If not just play the levels

Enjoying the game. The IAP's aren't essential but a way for this small team/company to make some money. Stop going OTT, this isn't some Gameloft freemium type model here with silly iaps

And yes the original Contra was very hard. Here you have a CHOICE if you want to make it 'easier' by cheating and buying some IAPS. BUT it's not necessary. Think Quazonk is totally wrong after reading his one huge paragraph post

One thing, the slider isn't bad at all, would prefer buttons but it works well. The directional shooting is done and is Contra-like as it fired the same way.

11. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

Thank you, at least someone else is thinking logically about this.

EDIT: 1,000 post!

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I really wish games were universally released or released in the US first. This would stop most of our freakouts. Personally, mine come from being screwed over. I know I shouldn't let it cloud my judgment, but I can't help it sometimes. "Hardcore gamers" are at a weird (forced) crossroads at this time and emotions can easily come into play. Is it always appropriate; if ever? No

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    unfortunately people don't know anymore the meaning of "hard game", like oldies as Contra, Ghosts n' Goblins, etc... they want to finish a game in an hour!!! that isn't the true videogame philosophy, sorry... worse for them!

i'll buy the game in half an hour...

14. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Well, we'll see if my "hyperbole" is warranted in the next 40 minutes, Square. I am affording them the benefit of the doubt, by purchasing the game. Let's see for ourselves, and continue this discussion once we've played the game.

15. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Am I alone in that the only time I found contra hard was playing with a friend who LOVED jumping up way to fast on the "up scrolling" levels?

Other than that the single player wasn't to hard. I was always sad to beat a game like that to have the ending last thirty sec's.

16. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    The difference in our opinion lies in the fact that I think making it 'easier' should be an option in the options menu, right next to "medium", and "hard". There shouldn't be a dollar sign next to 'easier'. According to the posts from others, this certainly does appear to be akin to some Gameloft-ish IAP. Like I said, I'm about to find out for myself, and if I'm wrong, I'm not above admitting it.

Sorry for not spacing my huge paragraph, I didn't change subjects for several sentences :eek:

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, judging by PSJ's impression, the game is fine. I really, really wish games was released universally (world wide) or in the USA first.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    100% agree. The games a homage to Contra. 8 way shooting is fine, the video showed that before so why the rants by some people? Controls are fine, people moaning seem to be the ones who haven't played it yet!

It's a proper old skool Contra style game. Old skool games had 8 way shooting. Way of life for us retro players. You saw the video you know what to expect. Honestly sometimes it's embarrassing reading peoples OTT rants about a very cheap (and good) game!

19. Glitchsoft

Glitchsoft Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Good idea...we'll look into that.

20. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    But this is based off of Contra, and it's supposed to be hard. You go into it expecting it to be hard, but to each his own.