Universal Star Knight (by JungSang You)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Apr 20, 2016.

1. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Sold!

2. yjsplay2002

yjsplay2002 Member

Apr 21, 2016
    #42 yjsplay2002, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Decided to pick it up. I like the art style and the variety in traps and level design is better than Goblin Sword. But they are quite different games IMO.

My only two minor complaints are the levels being too short and the animation of the main character is a little stiff.

But otherwise, it's a solid hack n' slash platformer.

4. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    #44 Warriv, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Heh, yeah, being able to touch enemies makes it easier, and I'm playing with a controller, so I'm kind of "cheating" ;)

Great to see the dev around here, and congrats for the beautiful game, yjsplay! Gave you a 5-star review on the Portuguese AppStore, here's hoping that you're successful and keep on delivering great games for us :)

Agreed, they're different games. Don't agree on the level design though, I actually believe GS is fairer then SK. The way you can get insta-gibbed by the slightest of touch on those spiked roofs can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

Levels are short on the first chapter, but they do get bigger!

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Probably should have clarified that I meant the levels felt more varied than GS. Not that GS has bad level design. I actually like the more flexible exploration and longer levels of GS. This just has more of the feel of not knowing what each level will bring to the table like the spike trap that forces you to move upwards quickly.

The traps can be a little too unforgiving. But the variety from what I've played on the first world is nice.

Glad to hear the levels get longer as you progress.

6. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    My god. TAKE MY MONEY! The game is gorgeous. Brilliant. Oh man what a treat!

Enjoying It more than goblin sword! The creative artist is brilliant on this title.

Is there touch controls? Like with no buttons on screen setup? I always prefer that setup.

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Finally got a chance to play this and man you guys should download right now. It looks freakin amazing the art style is so beautiful. Game play is side scrolling platformer RPG. controls are working great. The only IAP as far as I can tell is for coins for new weapons and stuff but no timers or energy bar nothing. Also kinda like Love you to bits where you can find items that are memories of her. Oh there is iCloud so nice bonus

8. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Oh, ok, I'm sorry then, I misunderstood you. I agree, levels do feel more varied.

@Zeeillusion I don't think there are touch controls, but I'd love if the virtual buttons were to disappear when you connect a controller.

9. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015

Thanks for the good imps

10. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    You're welcome. Fair warning, the game does get tougher, and a bit more frustrating. Patience is needed with this one.

Something that may not be clear is that you only lose gold if you die and don't recover it before finishing the mission. If you die and exit or restart, your gold will be restored.

11. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Beautiful awesome game, period.

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    How hard is it? I dont like games where I just keep dyig and dying with no progress, is it like that?

13. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Not hard at all, even when you die you respawn close by due to the numerous checkpoints in each level.

For a reference, I found Goblin Sword very difficult.

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I am in then!

15. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    It's fun, controls are great, visuals are awesome! One complaint : i'm probably a moron (indeed maybe a too casual), but the first boss takes too long to be beated. I've completed all levels with three stars, upgraded my sword (20 dmg), i got the second skill, and it seems very hard to find a way to defeat him.
    I'll try again, but after doing all levels again and again, it becomes a bit repetitive. If i have to earn 50000 gold to own the biggest sword, it will takes weeks to succeed. But, as i say, i'm not an expert at all, i don't have so much time per day to play, so maybe it's me.
    Arena is fun too, but i don't want to play it fifty times just to be able to get this sword.

16. yjsplay2002

yjsplay2002 Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you for feedback. We are working to reduce repetitive play and increase fun contents. May be more boss and levels will be added within May that is not associated with weapon damage.

17. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Thanks for being here, you're listening to us! It's a funny game, i like it a lot. I understand it's not easy to find the right way to please anyone. I'm casual, and i'm sure that a hardcore player would find this game short and easy. For me it's not!
    I have a simple question : i don't understand what i earn with stars. I got two stars in each level, so i play them again to get three stars, but it changes nothing! I'm probably missing something, but i don't know what.

18. yjsplay2002

yjsplay2002 Member

Apr 21, 2016
    #58 yjsplay2002, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Getting three star is only necessary to unlock 'True Star Knight!' achievement. Don't get too attached to collect three stars. But 'Rune' is used to collect more skills and see true ending. So be focus to collect 'Rune'. If you don't care to see true ending, just ignore.

19. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Sales just right now

Can you confirm me that IAPs are totally optional ?

20. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lots of positive imps from respected forum members, enthusiastic praise for art style and diversity in gameplay, all while garnering numerous references to the beloved Goblin Sword and getting more favorable feedback even than East... I am convinced. Commence mashing of the candy like BUY button!

Imps to follow..