Universal Star Horizon (By Tabasco Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks for the honest opinions :D it helps!

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow. *Clap clap.

3. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Slow clap?

This is a great game. For what I spent on it I'm very happy with it. With nicer graphics and a $60 dollar price tag, on a console, I might complain it was short.
    I'd disagree with anyone who said there's no replay value. If you enjoy this type of game, then replaying levels and supporting different factions where you can should be fun.
    It's all good though. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that this was well worth the money I spent on it and the time I've spent playing it. A hard difficulty and some more levels and upgrades down the road would be great.
    At least it's not half a game with a to be continued at the end that never pans out due to sales. This and, the closest thing to it, Arc Squadron (not the redux) will be on my devices well into the future. I'm a fan of the genre. I'm a fan of games without IAP. Win, and win. Good job, Tabasco.

4. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This game works very well on the fights, but not so much outside it. The sense of humor doesn't quite work, the story isn't really interesting and the choices don't make care as much as games like Star Wars KotOR.

5. thebeat07

thebeat07 Active Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Game is good but you can't play inverted on a controller like the moga or stratus. There is no option to change it. So down is down and up is up... Instead of up is down and down is up. Very crucial for an airplane game.

6. thebeat07

thebeat07 Active Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Yup i agree. Very stupid they didn't have an inverted option especially for an airplane game.

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The physics are ok as are the graphics but I didn't enjoy it and lost interest in it after having to do the tutorial a dozen times as I got killed often. Got boring. No points when you lose? Just getting kicked back to the tutorial did it for me. Couldn't buy anything either. Won't be playing this anymore.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont get it... How come the others think the game is too difficult? I thought it was ok in terms of the difficulty, leaning more towards being easy (only failed missions a couple times), and im sure a few would agree on that. And some would even say it's kid-easy.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I don't get it either. The only mission I had a bit of trouble with so far was the second one. I haven't finished yet. Not enough time for gaming and some phone issues.

But other than the cheesy dialog and what definitely appears to be a short length, I love this game. Even with the shorth length, I'd say I even like it more than Arc Squadron -- I guess because of what I said earlier, it's an on-rails game that has a broader feel to it where it doesn't feel like it's on-rails.

Even if it only lasts 1.5-2 hours, I'll be more than satisfied with the $3.99 purchase. Definitely my GoTW and, especially if more content is added, possibly even a GoTY contender.

Opinions seem very polarized on the game, but it looks and plays fantastically IMO.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Have to agree that this is the only thing I didn't like. I would love that y-axis inverted please.

11. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This game is not perfect, but I would say it's the best of this genre.

12. Orbital Knight

Orbital Knight Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    hey guys!

we will work on that option so it will be available with next patch

hope thats ok:)

13. d0mino

d0mino Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I am of the opinion that the game is a bit over hyped, too. 3/5 from me. Not a waste of money but not a great game either. Gameplay and upgrade system is pretty shallow. Dialogue and story are good, but nothing special enough to entice me to keep playing. Even with with just two hours of gameplay I don't think I am going to see the end.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    No iCade support as far as I can see...

I think it is a pretty good 3.5-star game. Not great but it is intense andfun so far into the 4th stage. Replayability? I don't mind running a few more rounds of the same stage to grind more "coins" out of each.

15. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Yay!

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

The problem is, you DONT need to go to a stage ever again to get all the upgrades. When you arrive in the last stage, everything will be fully upgraded and you will not be able to do anything with the remaining credits. "Farming" credits will only make the game upgrades finish even earlier.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #157 awp69, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    For some reason I can never leave comments on the front page (click to confirm my email, but never get one).

Anyway, I agree with a few of the points -- not incredibly challenging, story/voice overs are kind of weak. But I still have to say that I think the only thing Arc Squadron has over this game is length.

Even without out all the "pretty" graphics, the controls and overall gameplay much better in this game than in Arc Squadron (which again I also do consider a very good game).

I just love the feel of this game. It's more open and the movement flows in a way that gives you a different feeling than in a typical on-rails game.

FWIW, I think a lot of people aren't giving the game a fair chance based on complaints about length and lack of difficulty. I did die a few times on a few chapters but others are a cakewalk. Length, that's subjective, because I'd rather play a game that I love for an hour or two than spend 10 hours on a game that's "meh".

Oh well, still consider this one of the best arcade space shooters on iOS and hope it does well enough to allow for more content.

But I'll definitely be playing through this again and there aren't many iOS games I can say that for.

18. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #158 HansKaosu, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Glad to see this getting some good reviews.

Bronze Award on Pocket Gamer:
    "What does matter is that Star Horizon is a slick pulse-raising arcade shooter that evokes many of the best sci-fi space battles in recent cinematic and TV history. Minus the cool hero."

4/5 on 148apps
    "As far as space shooters go on iOS, Star Horizon stands on its own as a title that is well worth playing. The visual splendor alone would be more than enough to justify the purchase. Mix in the dull yearning for a proper Star Fox sequel that Nintendo has been withholding for so long, and this a download that should be made before reading the last period of this sentence."

Congrats devs! Hope this sells well and we can get some new content (even willing to pay for it).

20. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I really don't know how to explain what I think of this game, it's good but not great, it's well done but feels empty... 3/5 stars for me, well worth the price but not addictive enough for me, I deleted it after two hours of play, I guess it's probably because of the lack of freedom. I am definitely not a rail shooter fan, but for those who like this kind of game, I am sure they ll love it.