Universal Star Horizon (By Tabasco Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #121 TheFrost, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

2. Orbital Knight

Orbital Knight Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    Your comments on the game (not only here but everywhere!) are its important as reviews for us.

Thank you for every feedback!

We will work to make Star Horizon even better with hope that new stuff will allow you to enjoy it once again:)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its more to do with the fact that was their second ever post.

Anyway been playing this on my new phone today, love the way it looks, looking forward to seeing the later levels. I keep hearing its short but a game like this i like to take my time with it. Looking forward to future updates as well

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Does that include plans for free updates (new stages, new features like a survival mode, more ships/weapons, etc.) or expansion IAP or even a sequel?

5. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    #125 Orbital Knight, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    definitely some free stuff is coming for Star Horizon

if the game perform well then we will definitely think about sequel! we are now more experienced so it would be exciting to create something even better and bigger:) but you know how it is, we need to see there is audience for game like this

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Sounds good. I'll keep the game installed longer then. :) Thanks!

7. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    #127 #Bonk3rZ, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    I totally agree with awp69. I, too, love Arc Squadron, (and am very happy to still have the original Version). I always saw this as a consequent progression of the old scroll shooter into a 3D Environment, and I never got right why there aren't much more games like this out there.

I am totally unable to play open flight games like Galaxy on Fire. I will just fly circle after circle, hunting red points on my radar, and if I finally got one, it probably flies in my direction and over my head and I have to start again. So I am totally happy with the decision of Tabasco to make a rail shooter. And, as awp69 already pointed out, it often doesn't "feel" like a rail shooter. Thats simply amazing.

As for the game balance ... well, just look at this thread. Too hard. Too easy. So they seem to made it quite right, didn't they? ;) In my opinion a lot of games spoil themselves beeing or getting too hard for no reason. So I often play some first leves, enjoy the game play and then delete it, when suddenly everywhere are "spikes" or stupid "enemies". I want to be challenged, but I don't want to be disgruntled. And now go and make a game everyone is happy with ...

Star Horizon is challenging me, but not in the "damn damn not again" way, but having fun while playing and even dying. Lets go again then ...

The idea to add "decisions" is great, but of course only when this decisions have consequences. That would be an immense incentive to play the game again and again. Maybe this is something to expand in the future. And, speaking of expanding, yes, I do hope there is more content coming. In fact, I think the game should be at least twice as big. And I speak of everything, levels, ships, weapons. Comparing to the time I spent with Arc Squadron this one is way too short.

Upshot: I thoroughly enjoy playing this game. Please give me more.

8. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    We are so proud because of this!

[US AppStore]

[​IMG]

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Congrats! That's huge!

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finished the game, and it's one of the best games i've played this year so far.

To echo what's already been mentioned, the game is on the short side, but everything in the game is polish galore in terms of visuals, sounds, balance and gameplay.

The last boss is a very satisfying battle, but i wish the ending was a bit longer, but hey, for what the game provided, everything's aces.

11. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Actually, if it wasn't for the mobile game market we'd still be paying top dollar for good games. I gave up video games after buying the PS2, purely because of the high cost and low return. After buying my first IPhone, I started gaming again, purely because of the low cost and high return. And I admit buying a game for $4 that would usually cost $60 definitely spoils you. Not to mention the freebies and dollar deals, which seem to turn a civilized consumer into a whining brat.

12. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    This is a great game for the price. The graphics are excellent and I've played the levels several times cause they're great. The only very tiny issue is the controls are wrong way round fortunately you can change them round. Don't complain just go back and play it again and make sure you're using headphones!

13. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    What?

14. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    I've no problem with the game it's great they're all just a bunch of whiners who don't know something good when they see it!

15. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    I agree. I had to stop playing console games due to back problems. When I discovered I could actually get the same experience on the ipod I got my gaming back and the prices are tiny compared to the consoles. It gives you the full gaming experience for a tenth of the price and allows smaller developers to come out with great games like this.

16. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    I didn't see that as a problem, it was so fun to play. I've played all the level times. In fact I think I'll go play again!

17. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    How can I invert the y axis? I'm playing with a controller.

If this is not available, *please* add it as soon as possible. I just can't play flight games this way.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im running out of stuff to do in this game (only a couple more achievements and im 100% done), and it only has been a couple days of playing. I have it on my growing GotY list, but im flagging it for the content.

Dont hold back on this game though. It's fantastic in every angle. The visuals and camera direction are its best features, and the fast paced action, the well-balanced upgrade system, difficulty balance and controls work harmoniuosly well.

If there's anything negative i have to point out, it's that some of the commentaries can get a little annoying being repeated a few times over in each stage, but that's already picking on the nitty-grits.

19. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    So I am undecided about getting this game after some of the comments.

It looks fantastic, and I think it will be something I enjoy, although I haven't really played this genre in ages!

My questions would be; how hard is it, and how long does it take to complete?

I don't want to buy a game I never manage to play because it is so hard, likewise I don't really want something that will only take me an hour to complete.

Either way I think I will wait a week (as I have plenty to be going on with) and see how this thread evolves.

20. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

It's mildly hard and takes around an hour to complete. The replay value is really low if we compare to a Star Fox IMO <- I SAID IN IMO inb4 zealots burn me.

It does look great and it's a nice ride, but honestly, I see little reason to keep the game after you finish it.
    Also, the damn voice is annoying. It would be great if it was to give emphasis on something cool, but after a few "what the..." etc. you wish the pilot was mute. You CAN turn off the voices, but the dialogue will be gone as well.

Using a 5-star rating system, which I find a bit inappropriate but easier to judge, it's a 3 star game. It's ok, but don't buy the hype.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna get my shields up.