Universal Star Horizon (By Tabasco Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 19, 2014.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The gameplay in the videos reminds me a bit of EPOCH. Not a bad thing. Is this accurate?

2. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #102 Pipipitchu, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    This game gets too hard to fast. The first stage is almost a tutorial and the second stage is almost impossible to beat (
    to save the mothership
    ) without some upgrades (and to get them is necessary to beat the first stage few times). It's a balance problem in my opinion.

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Looks fine to me (iPhone 5, iOS 7.1).

Tried the first couple of stages, and the difficulty seems a bit higher on the smaller screen since there's quite a lot goin on around you. Also noticed that the ship movements were a bit faster on the iPad Air vs iPhone 5 (perhaps due to higher framerate, I dunno).

No problems at all getting through the second stage (at least on the iPad), so I don't see any balancing issues. 1 star on both the first and second, but still ; )

Really great game. StarFox/Starwing would be a much better comparison then Epoch.

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Lol yeah I didn't quite get it I guess. :)

I suggest working on guns first with swarmers not far behind. Upgrade torpedo last because you'll only really use it in the last 2 stages.

Never actually found the game hard till the last stage where I almost died because of sucking in the corridors (my ch. 10 vid). The only time I failed a mission was when I wanted to see what checkpoints do to answer somebody's question.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You'll have to maximize the use of your missiles and torpedoes. They dont consume any resources and run only on cooldowns so abuse those.

Never had any difficulty playing the game and im on the 7th stage now, having only. To replay the 6th coz i died there, but then completed it the next attempt. I've only upgraded the main guns and the armor and the missiles once so i think the game is well balanced, as i never replayed a stage yet to grind.

PLUS, the mothership will always be destroyed as part of the story.

6. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Maybe I'm a lousy player, but I'm grinding to pass level 2.

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Also take note the gun doesn't deal damage instantly. The shots still have to travel. Get a feel for how fast things die from gunfire so you can switch focus fire on other targets and prevent taking some heat yourself. Spam those swarmers and if you prioritize upgrading those, they'll one-shot pretty much everything but turrets until the last quarter.

8. johnny.90210

johnny.90210 Member

Jun 27, 2013
    #108 johnny.90210, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    All I want to say is, this game worth the money. Nice graphics, and the control is good.

9. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Finally!

Took 5 missions for me to really start having fun and to see what the game has truly has to offer.

Chameleon
    is the level i'm referring to.

Once my weapons were at least level two and felt like there was actual power at my disposal, it seems the game felt more exciting.

First four levels i felt like my weapons never actually made contact with the enemy.

Anyway, while i cannot say this is the absolutely best looking space shooter on the App Store (
    Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    ). I will say it's right up there: great ship models, lighting, explosion effects.

Game moves great, has an okay story and VA, and includes a nice price for such a polished jaunt through outer space.

Recommended.

But beware the
    slog
    through the first couple chapters.

10. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Guys how is the frame rate on iPod 5/iPhone 5?

11. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    60fps slick from start to finish on my iphone 5

12. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Alright man thanks. So I guess it should be the same with iPod 5.

13. imacb

imacb New Member

Nov 30, 2012
    #113 imacb, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Complete and utter disappointment.
    I'm a huge fan of these games, but this one was just average at best.

Story: Non existent beyond a vague notion of something is happening, and even that is basically the most rehashed sci-fi plot ever made.

Fighting: A joke, far too easy. You can just juke and shoot and you complete everything. I died once in the whole game

Flying: This was arguably the most annoying part. I know suspension of disbelief is important, and that isn't a problem. But when your "AI" flies you as close to obstacles as possible, for no reason, it just gets annoying. It didn't add anything to the game. Didn't really make it any harder, since I only died once and it wasn't because of any obstacles. Would have been much more fun if you had at least some sort of free-roaming option. Like you have x distance within which you can do whatever you want, and once you hit the boundary the ship just automatically does a u-turn.

Length: 9 mission, incredibly short. Total gameplay maybe 1.5 hours. Maybe less.

Choices: Completely arbitrary, they don't appear to have a significant effect on the outcome of the game, if any at all.

Dialogue: Terrible attempts at humour. I assume they were trying to be light hearted, but it just came across as tryhard. There was one joke at the end that made me crack a smile, but the rest... Terrible.

Graphics: Decent, but nothing new for this kind of game on iOS.

Sound: Best bit about the game. Music was good, standard in "spacey" games, sfx were good too.

Value for money: £2.50/$3. I would have been annoyed if I had paid more for it.

5/10 at best.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ^^ Ouch.

After finally getting to play it last night (had some major iPhone issues and got a replacement), I have quite the opposite impression of the game. I can agree on two points: story isn't great (but space shooters aren't a genre typically known for spectacular storytelling -- so this doesn't bother me) and it's on the short side.

But otherwise, WOW, this game is amazing. Aside from the gorgeous graphics, the gameplay is far superior to it main iOS competitor in this area Arc Squadron -- a game that I adore on its own. Arc Squadron truly felt like an arcade game, giving off that on-rails feeling and shooting gallery type mechanics. And yet it was still a blast to play.

But even though Star Horizon is on-rails, for some reason, it gives a much more epic feel and, at least to me, you don't "feel" like you're on-rails. Sure you're directed where to go, but the controls and flight have a fluid feeling that gives it something different.

And the gameplay is a blast. Fast and furious and satisfying. Explosions all over the place. A grand setting that gives that all-out battle atmosphere.

I'm loving ever minute of it. And, yeah, it could be longer, but for $4, it's still a lot cheaper than a movie and I know I'll be replaying it. I also hope it's successful enough that maybe more content can be added.

4.5/5 for me only due to length, but still an easy contender for GoTY so far.

15. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    One thing about this game that is completely annoying is being hit offscreen and not being able to shoot back. I keep forgetting that this isn't Panzer Dragoon Orta. And i don't think the barrel rolling does anything to preclude this, whatsoever.

16. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    I lastly wanna add that this is one terribly addictive app, no matter the minor annoyances.

Playing it more I can really appreciate the tiny nuances here and there i didn't get from my first impressions; this really is a beautiful game on my 5S. Not the most beautiful, but spectacular to look at.

I really hope we'll be seeing more from the devs on the App Store; absolutely loved finding an update a date after launch.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think some people dont know how lucky they are. Back in the 80's you often had dire games you bought and they cost about $12 each. Roll forward 30 years and you have a good game for a couple of dollars and people think its poor and 'worth' only $3.

Yeah its not the longest game out there, the dialogue is a bit cheesy but for the money its well worth it. Granted we dont all have the same tastes but its depressing hearing people just think some games hardly worth the money. Dont know how lucky they are getting top games for a few dollars

18. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    LOL! You again with this? Times has changed dude! Nothing its like before. My grandpa used so say that cinema costed 5 pennies and now its 15$, get over it already!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well when i hear someone going on about some game only being worth $2 (and not $4 ?!) i just find that quite odd. And yes us 'oldies' i think appreciate these great cheap games much more than youngsters who wait for a 99c game to drop to 'free' !

20. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I remember some SNES games costing as much as $80.