Universal Star Drift (by Squarehead Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Graphics remind me a bit of that game Space Junk, which is not a bad thing. Definitely akin to some of Radian's shooters. An old retro 80's arcade shote's up with updated looks. The developer was generous and sent me a birthday present a week early, thanks. Downloading now, will post impressions in a bit. :D

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Wow, really impressed! The "tap to climb" really adds an interesting twist to the game. I was expecting a generic relative touch approach but this is something fresh and new. Finishing each wave really leaves you with a "one more time" feeling as you upgrade your ship and tap your way through shmuppie goodness. Really not was I was expecting and I'm glad! Well done!

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I heard that, so I'm gonna grab this too!;)

4. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it!
    Sorry again about the bug affecting iPhone players in v1.0.1. - that one cost me many grey hairs! :-|

5. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    #25 Squarehead Studios, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Promo Codes

v1.0.4 is on the App Store now.

To celebrate the end of a looong weekend working on the update, there are some more promo codes up for grabs.

See www.squareheadstudios.co.uk for details.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not gonna lie. I bought Star Drift the moment it was released, played a couple of rounds and deleted the game. I don't know if it was because Beginner was too easy, or I just wasn't in the right mindset...but I gave it another chance and I can only say one thing: This game is OUTSTANDING.

You will never understand the magnitude of its excellence until your first encounter with the Anomaly. Mind = Blown.

That ends, the game surprises you with new enemies, you're smiling and whatnot...and you have your second encounter with the Anomaly and you realize it's even harder than the first time around, die....and what do you do?

You kill the app from your multitasking bar and have the warmest feeling in your heart because you know Star Drift is a permanent keeper on your device and an incredible evolution of the cave-flying/"Flappy" genre.

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Great news. I can't wait to start playing it again.

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Went to buy the game after reading MC's impressions and I noticed that the price on the UK App Store is £0.79p. I was expecting the price to be £2.29 because that's what's showing on the TA app so I thought I'd let others know who might not be aware.

9. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    #29 Squarehead Studios, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback and really glad you gave it another try.

As you pointed out, beginner mode is pretty tame and really geared towards people who haven't experienced this kind of control scheme before. If you're reading this forum, you probably want to jump straight in on Veteran (medium) difficulty.... :)

10. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    Thanks for highlighting this! The launch sale has been extended for a few more days.

11. dydiec

dydiec Member

May 20, 2012
    The price in the US App Store (as of 3/2/15 13:09 CST) is still listed as $2.99...

EDIT: Nevermind. It just changed to $0.99

12. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Really enjoying this game. Only problem is that overall, even on veteran, its rather slow. I would really appreciate a sped up version, that just moves faster in all ways. Great mixup genre dev!

13. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Happen to win a code from the recent promo giveaway. After playing it I am rather surprise how awesome the game is. A really great mix up with many different types of games. Gives you a feel of challenging different types of game within 1. This is definitely one of those must buy game and I am sure it will stay on my device for a long time!

14. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a handful of promo codes up for grabs, pm me if you're interested!

15. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    Started hardcore mode and gave up 150 creds to get fully powered. Then the game crashed. Iphone 5, current ios whatever it is. Love the game so good luck squashing bugs!

16. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    I'm really sorry about the crash bug. There is a known issue in v1.0.1 on the iPhone where the game might bomb out during the Anomaly encounter if you have full fire rate and fire spread.

Please get the latest update (v1.0.4) to fix this bug.

If you are experiencing problems with v1.0.4, I would be super-grateful if you can get in touch via: [email protected]. This will ensure the fastest response time. Thanks!

Apologies to anyone inconvenienced.

17. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    On 1.04. Crash occurred at the start of hardcore, no anomoly in sight. The crash log does nkt apear to be under a star drift title (ie: i cant find the crash log). Feelin kinda dumb about that. :(

18. Squarehead Studios

Jan 20, 2015
    Game Development
    U.K.
    #38 Squarehead Studios, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Sorry about that, I will contact you privately to try and see if I can help.

As a reminder:

If you are experiencing problems with v1.0.4, I would be super-grateful if you can get in touch via: [email protected]. This will ensure the fastest response time. Thanks!

19. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    Wanted to say that the dev has been really fast in dealing with this crash. I can't reproduce the crash, so maybe was just a phone running out of ram at a particular moment. Regardless, just wanted to say the devs are really on top of their game and they are doing a great job!

20. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Got Star Drift a few days ago at the sale price of $.99 and wanted to pop in and say what a great time I've been having with it. What a bargain. I'd have paid full price.

Glancing through the thread I've seen reports of crashing issues. Happy to say no problems here on iPad mini 2, iOS 8.

Best of luck with your game, I see it's featured on the US App Store, sweet!