Star Defense or Defender Chronicles ?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fatKnight, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatKnight

fatKnight Member

May 3, 2009
    I love playing TD games, I've played Field Runners, 7 cities, The Creeps, Dungeon Defense so far and I seem can't get enough playing TD games :p

So I've noticed that theres several new Tower Defense game coming soon to the app store and those 2 title caught my attention since they both offering fresh new viewpoint to this genre which should be really cool :eek:. But so far all of the TD games in 2d though so I'm just a tiny little bit skeptical about Star Defense's spherical view since it seems going to be hard to keep an eye on all the enemy units at once given the nature of the spherical view only half of the planet can be visible.

Defender Chronicles looks sweet too and I definitely love Warcraft so its a definitely must get :D

Which one do you think will be the best? The 3d spherical view from Star Defense or the side view of Defender Chronicles would be more fun ?

:D

Nevertheless I would most likely grab them both since they both looking great, cant wait :rolleyes:

2. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Hi there,

Just some clarification:

Both games that you are talking about are remotely similar. Defender Chronicles is a vertical TD and Star Defense is a 3D TD.

But this you already know.

The only point that I have to solve this question is to compare the video reviews whenever the games will be available.

For now we cannot say much about Defender Chronicles (clearly the video showed a PC version, just look at the mouse pointer.....). On the other hand, the video from Star Defense are real gameplay experience....

Conlusion: wait.....

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #3 Zincous, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    What?

How about, it was the iphone simulator? It even shows the simulator. Wow

There is no computer version :rolleyes:

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Let's be clear on something...Defender Chronicles is not a PC game. It is a game built from the ground up for the iPhone/iPod Touch. As Zincous stated, it's not uncommon for devs to run demos on simulators.

5. fatKnight

fatKnight Member

May 3, 2009
    I believe they clearly stated its for the iPhone or iPod, at least why would touch arcade covers this game if its aren't for the iPhone ? that being said, you haven't made your choice yet :D

So, what is it gonna be for you, Star Defense or Defender Chronicles ?

6. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Guys, please....

What I was trying to say is that simulations will not be translated exactly the same way to the iPhone.....

Off course they use computers to simulate, but the game running into the iPhone is quite different. Don't you agree?

Both games seem cool, but for now we cannot compare. There is no common ground to compare. Is the same to compare oranges and bananas.

Sorry about the confusion.

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Gosh your posts are kinda confusing. iPhone simulators on the computer are almost exactly like running on a normal iPhone. Sure the iPhone version might crash or have some bugs, but the graphics, gameplay, animation, movement, and all of the above will be the same. We CAN compare them because they're both TD games.

An answer to the question for me is... I'm probably getting both. Star Defense looks beautiful and so does Defender Chronicles. I like how both of these TDs add something to this genre that no other games have (RPG + TD game and 3D, space-themed TD game).

8. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    #8 Bruno, May 3, 2009
    Perfect.....that is the point of the post.

I don't agree that the computer simulations are the same as playing on the iphone. I'm sorry, that is my point of view. It is not confusing, it is quite simple.

There are tons of apps that whenever we are going to play, the real gameplay is completely different. I'm not saying this is wrong or right, it does not matter. The point is if you have money for only one of them, you will have to wait and see reviews running directly from the iphone. That is my methodology. I do not buy games for its screen shots or desciptions. I buy games when it seems cool, fan, and simple to play from my device.

9. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Defender Chronicles is a fantastic game. I know because I tested it. However, I'll probably get Star Defense also. I love TD games.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #10 1337brian, May 3, 2009
    Wow, you speak like you have expierence with running the simulator program huh? I'll guess you do since you speak so frankly. I don't know what games you've tried in the simulator vs. the iphone, but I can tell you from my personal expierence with Defender Chronicles (Beta) That the video you saw is 1:1 how the iphone expierence is going to be, if not better...

11. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I plan to purchase both. They both look very different and very cool!!! If I had to pick ONE....without playing either...I'd probably pick Defender Chronicles because I love anything even remotely related to D&D or medieval fantasy.

12. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Do you have a problem with me?

Dude, it is a free forum. That is my opinion. You do not know me to talk to me like that.

Someone posted this and I found fair to post my opinion.

So stop doing this or whatever you want to do. This is a free environment.

13. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I would say that a more accurate comparison would be to compare an already prepared meal with one that is pictured in a magazine, not really apples to oranges (I know its nitpicky but it might be contributing to the confusion :confused:)

14. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Yeah, yeah....

People, let's play games instead of fighting.....For ME, it is different. It is not the same thing to play games on computer simulations and the designated device itself. Remember those console emulator? It is the same to play Mario 3, Sonic or anything else from your computer instead of your NES or Genesis?

No, it is not. That is the point, period. If simulations were the same as real, we would have the same name. They don't have.

If anyone still one to talk about this, let's creat a post about this. This is not the topic todo it.

15. fatKnight

fatKnight Member

May 3, 2009
    Yeah bruno, actual gameplay recording would be nice but simulator looks good too, sometimes those real recording looks blurry and dark and hard to watch.

Anyway... lets drop that simulator thing, so anyone knows how much Star Defense will cost ? Defender Chronicles seems to put $4.99 on their price tag, thats quite pricey isnt it?

16. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I believe Star Defense will be anywhere from $2.99-4.99, and I don't think Defender Chronicles $4.99 tag is expensive. Sentinel came out at $4.99 and did quite well, and when you consider the higher priced games such as Assassin's Creed, $4.99 is pretty reasonable.