Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #1161 turakm, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    nevermind.

2. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #1162 turakm, Apr 30, 2013
    double post

3. laxbro270

laxbro270 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Does anyone know the cost?

4. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Three whole dollars! Aren't you furious?!

5. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Drama for the Drama god.

I will probably grab the game, bit let down that it's not what was described initially of course, I like the idea of free roaming or even a FTL style randomization.

As for developer interaction, I think the best course is just to rise above it frankly, no one wins an argument on the internet and e-thug threats of violence are bush league.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    WTH! Three whole dollars :eek: I'll have to sell a limb to be able to afford that;)

only joking :D can't wait

7. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone confirm that the gameplay only lasts 3 hours? :(

8. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Buddy, why so angry?

I'm going to get it, been waiting for years so a bit pointless cutting my nose off to spite my face and it does look cool as shit.

And I have to say this is the single funniest in development thread I've ever read, it's been ace, I'll be kind of disappointed for it to end to be honest.

One last thing. @Justin. For the love of god man, learn some PR or get someone to do it for your next game. As I just said I've thoroughly enjoyed this but it's like watching someone poke a bear with a stick, you just know at some point it's all about to go horribly wrong. On the flip side, if this was to get publicity Bravo.

Either way, I look forward to playing it and see what happens after release.... :D

9. iamthekiller

Mar 18, 2009

It was sarcasm, poking fun at the tight asses on this forum.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #1170 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 30, 2013
    Is there free roaming? What is "FTL"? Thanks EDIT: okay, I've seen FTL is Faster Than Light, a space game. Now, is there free roaming? How is it? What about random events?

11. justincoombs21

justincoombs21 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    DESIGNER
    NYC
    #1171 justincoombs21, Apr 30, 2013
    my 2 cents

on the game: yes $2.99, there is some free roaming, you can do missions 5-10 in any order and that order is important (the avarians will mess u up if u go there first).

our reasoning with the sandbox vs 'on rails' was we wanted to have more story, which is harder to do with sandbox cause there isnt a given order. also the length of battles merits each battle being at least somewhat unique so you dont get bored with yet ANOTHER Antorian ship - we also wanted every player to see all of our enemies and backgrounds - to make the game feel more full - versus a sandbox where you only see like 50% of the game and only get to 100% after a few playthroughs - we only had 3 people so we wanted to maximize the amount of game every player gets. that was our thinking. we will have sandbox for pc though. we made that decision and announced our thinking with mobile being set-missions and not open- ended a long time ago - so i am surprised that is an issue still with some - ce la vie.

any large undertaking will require concessions to make deadlines or quality etc. we did cut some of things - not happily but necessarily. That message isnt getting home to a lot of people - that we made these crucial decisions in hopes of making a better game. We cut stuff to work more on the core ideas- i think it shows where we put our focus: blowing ships up, on ship combat, graphics, sound, music, strategy, tactics, upgrades - these were our focus cause we only have so many resources to devote. wed've LoVED a bigger game - and we may get a chance if sales are good - but seriously this game is actually 10-15 hours long for doing all 3 skill levels - and you get a new ship and completely new rooms after u beat normal - it is a very different game.

we are very very very happy and proud if the game we made. dont take our word for it - i think we will get 7.0 - 8.5's on thursday - not bad - especially for those of you who this type of game is up ur alley - it kicks ass.

the game is fun and was the best we could do given our - YES - limited resources. 160k doesnt go as far as many would think- we squeezed as much game out of it as we could.

FTL? badass but different focus. we have 14 alien species with fully animated frames, custom ships, weapon fx and ai - FTL had a different focus - more numbers based less graphical. It was completely serendipitous our games are compared - both games were developed interdependently. Our game is more starcraft, xcom like - there game is less graphical more abstract numbers cant think of a good example (what games are similar to ftl?)

anyways- in regards to the PR i am not in this for the money and i am a pretty frank person in RL. I am laid back and easy going. i am not here for good PR if it means not being myself - i am not here for making gobs of money. id be happy with $60k in my bank after two years of making this game - and any extra is awesome - but the nice part of this approach (to me anyways) is i dont have to give a damn about people not liking my attitude. like i said i am proud of the game, we arent in-app purchase nickel and diming you guys - its a ��������ing quality badass title - and anyone who says otherwise i disagree with but thats fine. thats art it is subjective.

BUT if they question my integrity as human - i am in the unique position of NOT working for anyone - it is MY company - so i get to speak my mind. I am not here for long-term sustainability - i dont particularly love makign games - i like web design more - i want to speak my mind and be honest and say �������� to these little troll detractors cause they probably are just dropping hatred to makeup for their own lack of creative spirit.

yeah - if i was in this for the money or long-term PR standpoint i think companies need to censor themselves to make sure you dont anger anyone.

but im not a pr company i am a dude in CO lol. i have a good gf, good friends and lots of great fans that support me - i feel lucky to have these things - and simply dont feel obligated in any form to filter what i say - why should we always filter if we arent after money or popularity? i say �������� it - lets yell back at the trolls and make them feel like shit. but yeah - it is probably a waste of time and energy.

theres my rant lol - now i am going to smoke a bowl and go draw a cartoon i am working on at a cafe

but simply put guys - and no i havent smoked yet - THANk YOu

thank you for being active with this game, for helping us by supporting iur kickstarter - for backing us up when people call us thieves. You are good people for supporting the underdog - we arent ea or zygna or even blizzard - we are 3 dudes and this will prolly be my last game. But regardless it was fun - and you guys made it happen by motiviating us and funding us.

the trolls can suck my balls. im over them - our intentions were rational,moral, fair and with hopes of making a good game - we did that in my mind.

WOOT!

12. iamthekiller

Mar 18, 2009
    Bravo. Seriously, #### the self-entitled trolls that try to bully you for their own shortcomings. Part of making your own game is the enjoyment of expressing yourself, so say whatever you want.

I'm gifting 4 copies to friends and will get another for myself. I wish you great success with this game release.

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I lol'd at " trolls can suck my balls" :D
    Can't wait this is an insta buy for me, after watching the TA plays and following the progress for what seems like forever I can't wait to actually play the game.

14. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #1174 Aventador, Apr 30, 2013

I wanted to post long reply , but I deleted it halfway , no point in trying to debate on some nonsense points now that the game is so close to live release.
    Just to add briefly that some mistakes wouldn't been made if you got at least some advices or guidelines from PR person, but that is obviously history now.As much as some appreciate full honesty, integrity of company ( no matter how small or big it is) is only thing that counts in today marketplace.
    As I said countless times before, I am (still) hyped about this game and after watching all previews definite decision was made to get it on release day.I like all the humor,references and Sci fi setting . So I congratulate you on making an awesome game and hope it is a success for you guys.:)

15. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    1 word: instabuy.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I genuinely want to see that in the app description. Hell, add it to the game's title screen, it's hilarious.

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Haha yeah I agree, another part of me wants to say maybe we would have more gameplay and not have to wait as long if there was less smoking going on :rolleyes:

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Haha. That whole post was awesome. I was going to buy the game before. I almost feel like gifting a copy to someone now.
    I kind of appreciate that it's not going to be a 50 hour grind to make it through. It looks like it should be a lot of fun. Congratulations on the upcoming release. Hope everything goes aces with it. Cheers.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    If anything can take my attention away from this momentous Iron Man 3 week... It'll probably be this. Or my wife. Hopefully, both.

20. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Now THAT is my kind of PR. Sign me up for two copies as well. Made my day.