Universal Star Command - (by Star Command, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. reflipp

reflipp Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Hope it aint a 1-2hour game only

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Can't wait! Roll on 11PM here on the east coast!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'll have two, please!

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This

Attached Files:

6. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh right thanks, the link doesn't show up on the mobile app, downloading to my laptop.

7. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    I'll be downloading it once it hits the Australian App Store at about 4-5am... hopefully it's good.

8. petes117

petes117 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If any devs are reading this (or anyone else who might know), is there any advantage in having someone assigned to the bridge?

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#29 Sanuku, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

The Game is freaking awesome. I`m like one Hour into it and already sent two of my Crew Members on a suicide mission and both died (K.I.A)...

All I can say is:

[​IMG]

10. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Hmm so it's not as good as FTL, plays very much like it. Would prefer a straight FTL port over this.i think ive found a bug already, in my first combat cant see the ships just the background! anyways I'm really tired, will give this a proper go tommorow.

11. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Instashutupandtakemymoney

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    [​IMG]

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The less intelligent folk among the TA front page commenters are shortly going to find themselves in desperate need of a new meme.

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    When I first heard of this it was 'OMG I want it now!'

But delay after delay after delay, bad attitude devs and the fact that only '30%' made it into the final game means I'll avoid it. Pity

15. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I so want to be " The Kirk"

16. petes117

petes117 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #36 petes117, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Game Impressions

My initial impressions after an hour playing, I'm up to the 5th mission and having a lot of fun. I won't spoil anything!

I love the art style, there's some very pretty backgrounds in there too, and not just of starscapes.

The music is very appropriate for each menu or scenario, and is expertly composed. It can cut between sound files a bit harshly when flicking quickly through the menus but it all sounds so good I don't mind.

One thing I wasn't expecting was to be chuckling throughout. It's so rare to find a game with a sense of humour! Fantastic.

The difficulty is pretty harsh at first. The first two missions I failed twice but succeeded on the third try for both. But I thought this was a good thing, the game does a good job of teaching you the basics and leaves it up to you to figure out your own tactics.
    I'm excited to see where the game will go next. Well worth the asking price already.

(Also I'm not 100% sure but if your captain dies I think it is game over, please correct me if I'm wrong)

There are a couple of things that could be improved with future updates, just suggestions for the devs. I have no idea if these would be difficult to implement or anything like that, this is just my opinion to make a great thing even better:

When enemies invade your ship, or when your ship is about to be struck by a weapon there is an icon showing where it will come from, but you can't see that when zoomed in to a different part of the ship. Having the icon appear on the edge of the screen in the direction the attack is coming from would really help.

The other thing is when enemies are on board your ship, it can be hard to distinguish them and a couple times I didn't realise they were attacking me until I heard the peow peow of the blaster fire. Another icon showing the enemies aboard your ship, even if it just blinks occasionally, would help here. Something visual.

Otherwise, I love it! It's going to keep me entertained for hours to come. Well done devs on making an excellent game. I'll be keeping an eye out for the PC version whenever it's released and will be sure to grab another copy then!
    Thank you :)

Update: It can be quite time consuming repairing your ship after a big battle, putting out fires and repairing the hull. Shouldn't the fires go out if they're close to a hull breach? This would save time, even if it only happens after winning a battle. A bigger indicator of where the hull breaches are (again, after a battle) would help.
    I am absolutely loving this game (don't let my hopefully constructive feedback fool you)!
    I can see that people are going to be creating their own little stories with their named characters, which was also the best thing about games like FTL and XCOM :)

17. DrRadon

DrRadon Active Member

Mar 9, 2012
    This reminds me so much of the people joining boycod this and that game groups on steam... and the second the game gets released 80% of the people on that group are seen to be playing the game.

Complaining means careing. You´ll buy the second it´s on the appstore. :)

18. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    I'll certainly be grabbing Star Command as soon as the clock strikes midnight, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the PC edition too! Actually, I reckon that this would be pretty amazing on Playstation Vita also! If the devs ever do look into a Vita port, I'll be all over it. As it stands right now though, having Star Command on my iPad tonight will do me just fine!

19. DrRadon

DrRadon Active Member

Mar 9, 2012
    You get the room bonus and you get to have more crew assigned to weapons. (as the ship weapon rooms only allow two people to work in them and you need them to be working to fight the other ship)

So the bridge is more or less your armory untill...

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Developers shouldn't say things regarding how much of their vision made it into the final product, because most of the people reading it DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT :mad:

Yeah, I momentarily lost my cool. It's his fault for bringing crap into the release thread.