Universal Star Chindy (by MAST Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    thanks Fangbone and Mookmaster for your helpful replies! will buy and give it a shot, since from what you say Xcom difficulty is good, and doesnt make me quit the game, but come back for more.

2. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I'm enjoying the game. I'm always spending my particles on healing my crew and fixing my ships, though... am I just being too wasteful with health and hull? I should probably stop using the shotgun sort of weapon that Cindy starts with.

How does ship combat work? I've figured that turning Movement and Combat to red sets those to auto. But if I don't enable auto-combat, what do I do? Does tapping on a green system fire, or turn it off? What's orange? Has anyone found a good way to use small ships?

3. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    This needs some more attention,too bad that I can't purchase it atm cause I don't wanna break Bioshock...

4. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    It's okay, but it just feels like a 100% original mobile game; Ambitions set very high, with no real follow through. Combat is okay with ships and on ground, but it never really develops that deeply.

5. Fruityth1ng

Fruityth1ng Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Satisfying game, needs polish.

Wow! I had a good time playing this. I died after 18 minutes.

The boobs on the main protagonist are aimed at boys (but still need better shading) and the idle animation loop of the main characters are in need of some flat tangents at the extrema's :)

It's less coherent than FTL, but the wide range of gameplay and lively universe make it a worthwhile purchase.

The star ship combat is very dynamic, but it's hard to spot your own ship when zoomed out, just health bars to indicate where your ships are can get messy fast when other ships are near.

My hope for this game is not a content update, but a good rework of the ui / ux, and fixing some translation issues, a native speaker should just have a look at this and fix it.

Some indicators on the ship-combat screen to indicate the front/back of my ship, and what weapons fire from the side/front would be a welcome UX addition.

All in all I'm looking forward to my next playing session :)

Four stars of five!

6. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Someone tell me how this game is after the update, been on my watch list for a while

7. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    My sentiments exactly!!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree I have never thought about asking for a refund It's just ridiculous unless of course the game does not work and the customer has not received any feedback from the Dev after trying numerous times to contact him other than that its the customers loss. That's why before I buy any game I do my research about and still I may not like it but its my loss No hard feelings No whining I move on I to have been gaming for many years and don't understand the logic behind some of these gamers thinking these days. I buy all my games All my games are premium I have bought hundreds of games on iOS & Android and have paid some good money for some Up to $20 I don't play f2p games I have been disappointed by many of my purchases but I will never take it out on the Dev I just keep on gaming Playing and paying for games on my IPad is a choice and I take full responsibility for all my actions

8. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
  9. etienu

etienu Member

Jan 13, 2017
    This game is awesome.

I bought this game when it came out, but didn't get to it until about 6 months later because of a huge backlog. When I finally decided to crack it open though, ALL of my free time and attention was sunk into this game. Every now and again I still play it and neglect awesome new games even though I was able to to beat it for the first time on normal difficulty just recently. Warning: this game is hard!!! Even on easy, you get a pretty good head start, but the game will seriously punish you later on if you haven't upgraded or researched the right things. It's surprisingly addictive.

Gameplay:
    The rts side of the game can be very brutal on normal. You can kiss any money that you hoped to use for ship or tactical unit research goodbye. However you can try to avoid ship to ship battles in favor of tactical turn based battles to earn money to buy new ships and upgrade them with bigger guns You can auto pilot ships to focus your attention on special abilities. Also you can manually select targets to fire on or switch to auto fire. Both auto fire and auto pilot can come back to bite you though. I find it more manageable to auto pilot my two support ships while I directly controls my main ship.
    The turn based tactical side of the game is where I really got sucked in. You start each turn with each character having two action points. After planning each turn, all units act out there planned attacks at the same time adding another layer of challenge to the battles as sometimes the enemy units on higher difficulties will move to outflank you or simply out meneuver you. I found that it made me want to break my phone when I lost, but found the it extremely rewarding when my strategies won the battles and twice as rewarding when I outsmarted the a.i. for the rout. (or didn't feel like I lost even though I won because they did so much damage.)

Ending points:
    I highly recommend this game. The story may seem lame upon first play as you'll probably die before getting to anything interesting and it takes a few playthroughs to really flesh out the alternative branching storylines. However, if you give it a chance, you'll find a deep universe with lots of alien races with their own histories as well as backstory for the humans and the evil Mecrons. For $3, this game is a steal. I find it criminal that Toucharcade and even Pocket Tactics let this one slip under the radar. Then again, so did I at first. This game deserves to be played. You won't regret it.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Can you please stop bumping threads? It's against the forum rules.

11. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I'm glad he bumped it though, as I had forgot about this game, and this was one I wanted to play back when it came out

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, we talked it out. I have no problem with the intent of bumping a thread, just want to make sure people add more substance beyond the word "bump". Like, talk about why the game is cool and why you want to bump up the thread so more people know about it. That's all :)

13. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Is the game that good ? how many playing hours are there in the game ?

14. etienu

etienu Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I think to beat the game (on easy) maybe 15-20 hours. I can never last past chapter 3 on normal. Also there is a survival-type mode called 'Endless Mode ' that gives you a little bit more customization.

15. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info :)

16. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Between this and ftl, which one is better? And how deep is the customization on ships and crew? Like adding stat or rename character etc

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #97 Talbs, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Admittedly I haven't played this but FTL for sure. FTL is always the game to compare to, and this simply isnt, put it that way.

Ha, just remembered you're the guy praying for FTL to go on sale everyday. You'll have your nickers in a real knot if you start trying to get other games that just aren't the same. Let me help you out though; there's also Rymdkapsel and Out There. Better add battlestation harbinger as well.

18. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    That's me Talbs :D already have battlestation harbinger n out there
    :D gonna look up for rymdkapsel, and btw your opinion based on similiarity between star chindy and ftl, should i buy star chindy?

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm honestly not sure because I haven't played star chindy. Have you looked for some YouTube playthroughs.

20. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Done that :D but still curious about the customization for ships and characters :D