Universal Star Chindy (by MAST Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Jan 8, 2016.

1. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Has anyone else experienced a bug where healing doesn't actually restore HP or am I missing a secondary healing option? Healing seems to just restore status effects but HP is unaffected?

Great game so far, just a few minor niggles with the UI and potentially a bug like this, but it seems very worth the money if they're ironed out!

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Has there been any word from the dev about a possible downgrade of IOS requirement yet? I tried hard installing this onto my jb ios 8.1.2 but Yep, crashes. Just wondering if we should have hope.

3. Papicus65

Papicus65 Active Member

May 8, 2013
    It seems to work similarly to FTL, in that you can only repair the ship's hull at a space station. I guess the it's the same for crew hit points.

4. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ah, ok.. thanks for the help! Seems like that tidbit of info might be useful for the dev's to add to the tutorial.

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #65 gemineye62, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I played a few rounds and see good potential in this game.

I like the fact that you can indeed fire over low barriers and kill enemies.The sniper rifle will do this.
    I also like how one team member can move to cover , getting the attention of the enemy,
    while the other team mates move to flank. That worked really well in my last encounter.

The simultaneous turn formula is actually a nice change from the usual turn based model most
    developers have adopted in past efforts.

I wish this was not a rogue like game, but you can't have everything.

Great game so far!

6. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Is it actually a roguelike in that it has significant procedural generation? I can only see references to "random events", which honestly is not dissimilar to something like FFT or anything in the FF series for that matter. Definitely doesn't lend credence that it's a roguelike simply for having permadeath. The proc gen is just as important for replayability, and really that's the main point of a roguelike - something that encourages the player to replay hundreds of times, not two or three times with a new game+ mode.

Seeing this line in the FAQ doesn't give me much confidence either:

There's a lot of debate about how many of the tenets are actually needed to be called a roguelike, but both permadeath and significant proc gen are universally accepted as the bare minimum.

Also, reading through a couple of pages in this thread I wan't to point out something. Just because a game is developed by a small indie team with undisputably good intentions, does not automatically make it a good game. I don't play fremium games, I've got hundreds of hours in FTL on my iPad and mostly only play more traditional roguelikes like NH and CDDA, but there seems to be a widely held belief in the community here that indie developers can do no wrong.

I'd go as far as saying that vast majority indie games are actually terrible and not worth my time, let alone money. I've been burnt many many times before over the years until I finally learnt my lesson that good intentions does not always equal a good game. Not saying that this is necessarily the case here, but so far the description, gameplay videos i've watched and the comments here give me no confidence that it's a good game other than being an interesting mashup of different genres.

I really hate reading that people want to "support the developer" just because, rather than it actually being worthy of support. Although criticism of freemium players that leave one start reviews because it's too hard is totally valid. On the other side of the coin, there are players that a skeptical, have high standards and have played exceptional games in the past that are not afraid to criticize a product based on valid points. Dismissing anyone that doesn't give this game five starts as a fremium player that doesn't know what they're taking about is unfair.

The comment/rant isn't directed in anyone in particular, just sharing a sentiment that i've been harbouring for some time.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game is so perfect.

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm honestly so impressed by this game. It's got a ridiculous amount of depth a features, definitely the best game in the genre we've gotten in a while.

A tactician's delight

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Agreed. It's really wonderful. I'd like to see an option for a pause feature on the ship battle phase. Not turn-based, mind you... More of a Baldur's Gate type of thing, for issuing commands.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I agree, that would be nice.

Would be neat if there was a more "concrete" cover system than the one at the moment where you just kinda eyeball it, but that's my only real complaint

11. Veronika_s

Veronika_s Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Norway
    So one time, after a playthrough, my game got weird and showed me a page which looked like a permanent upgrade system where you could attribute stars. I remember seeing "start with 100 gold" as one of the options. I exited out and my game promptly switched to korean, seemingly bugged. I've never seen the screen again, and haven't been able to recreate it. Did this happen to anyone else?

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I feel like the Units would have benefitted from an XP system rather than just having to pay to upgrade them.

I just never have enough currency to make buying skills plausible

13. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    #73 Tuzzo, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Just as every indie developer doesn't have to be saved, it doesn't mean that every one has to be condemned because there are a lot of crappy indie games (or because you have no knowledge of how the game is played out).

What do you mean by "procedurally generated"? That just means "randomly generated, following a script that gives some coherence to the thing that's been created".
    The "procedural generation" in this game works exactly as in FTL: you go from space sector to sector and in each one you can encounter different "things" which are not predetermined: you could find some junk to salvage for some credits, a battle to fight or flee, a space station, an encounter with an alien race...
    This is the roguelike implementation in this game. How the "roguelikeness" is implemented greatly depends on how the game is structured. Since you have no rooms here, the "procedure" the generation has to follow is more loose than in a classic rogue game. Apart from squad missions, which have rooms and so the roguelikeness is more like the "classic" one.
    Nonetheless, it has permadeath, enemy units move when you move, it's very difficult and every encounter is different from the one before. Isn't this roguelike enough?

And if you play endless mode, you don't even have a story with preset characters and bosses, just plain randomness.

So, in the end, yes, I consider this game a roguelike; and yes, this game is good, not just because it's indie, but because it is well made and fun.

14. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    The page you're referring to is displayed when you start a new game in Endless Mode.
    Stars are earned in some way that I don't know yet and then you can spend theme in that page to have more options when you start an endless game.

15. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Is there any sort of tutorial for this game? I'm utterly lost as to setting up ships for auto flying/fighting, etc. I don't understand the encounters. If I don't have enough resources to help someone, I cannot go back when I get them? Is this like FTL in that, if I miss an event, it's gone for good?

Is there somewhere online I could find someone to walk me through this stuff? (Feel kind of dumb, since everyone else seems to have little trouble figuring it out, but there you have it)

Thanks for the help.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This game is one of the coolest iOS games I've ever played. The navigation is heavily influenced by FTL which I like. But the game play with both ship to ship and squad based combat is just so well executed! Normally these systems alone can be large games, but seamlessly combining the two in an iOS game definitely deserves praise. It all fits so well on an iPad too!

17. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Have they said if they will try and make it work on iOS 8 or anything yet or just iOS 9 ?

18. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    so is this :
    A) frustratingly, ragequittingly hard?
    B) FFT hard, where you have to figure out the game mechanics and then it's easy?
    c) Wayward Souls / Downwell hard, where you die but get progressively better with small upgrades each time that keep you coming back for more?

If it's B or C will buy it, but if it's A i will not.

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Haven't played a ton but I would say that it is not A, B, or C. It is more like XCOM lite mixed with a little FTL lite. There are stages where you control a group of heroes in TBS battles. Then there are stages where you control your ship in RTS battles. Have not died yet so cannot speak on the rogue like qualities of the game. If you like TBS and RTS then you'll most likely love it. If strategy games are not your cup of tea then you probably won't love it.

20. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Game is fairly easy on the easy difficulty, but i get blasted on the normal difficulty, so a bit of a learning curve. Its neither b or c, bc there is a learning curve and the randomness also means that u can die almost any time due to how events work out, but u can also develop strategies to mitigate likelihood of death.