Universal Star Chindy (by MAST Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I fully agree with you Tuzzo, lot of old games were difficult, short, often but was die & retry, few games were having even save points and things evolved for sure.

It's a good thing the Dev warned players it's for a core audience but yeah i would not refund 3 bucks, when you buy a game, you're supposed to read what it's about before...

Now the dev can still add (like FTL, DotE etc) difficulty settings, still the best compromise nowadays imo.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    It is out in Oz for those saying it wasn't

3. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Just to understand if I'm getting this right, when your units are behind some kind of cover, they can't shoot, right? I mean, they can but they'll just waste ammo on the cover.
    Just asking because I can't understand if I'm missing because my units' accuracy sucks or just because I'm shooting the wall XD

4. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I can't "officially" confirm this, but from what I noticed I think your bullets do just hit the cover instead of the enemy. I wondered why I was missing, then I saw my bullets hit the cover and assumed this same thing. So, it's basically wasting bullets if you do so.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Unfortunate to see this requiring iOS 9. Oh well, wishlisted for when some other big game forces me to upgrade.

6. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I gave it a shot for a few hours. Not a bad game at all and a bit challenging so far.

Space combat is a little frustrating at the moment due to the fact that if your ships run out of energy it disengages all weapon systems and you have to deal with the 2-3 second cooldown of it being disabled and also have to retoggle each of individual weapons.

In the end it could end up just with you clicking through every single ship and all it's weapons in round robin style because if left alone in intense combat all your ships weapons will literally turn off by themselves and your whole fleet would be a sitting duck.

My last battle ended up with all my ships disabling their weapons because they all ran out of energy at the same time.

That's the only blemish so far that I can talk about that can severely cripple you and unfortunatly you do spend a significant portion fighting space battles.

7. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I just don't understand how a game is not set up to work on IOS 8 & 9 at the same time ? Do they want to loose sales on purpose ?

8. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #48 Son of Anarchy, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Ya, it's out in Aus now.

Edit: My bad, I mis-read and thought you were asking if it was out here.

9. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I haven't tried this game yet but was reading this forum and compelled to respond to Tuzzo's post. I agree with you 100%... As an old school gamer I recall buying games for the Atari, NES, Super NES, Sega, PlayStation and more and needing to rely on game pro, Nintendo power, and other magazines to decide if the game was worth the $49.99 asking price and to think about it $49.99 was the price back in the 80's and 90's for those games.

All industries change and the gaming industry and even gamers have changed as well.

I am very pleased to see how the iPhone has allowed for an expanded gaming community but also see the negatives on instant gratification.

Unsure of mobile gaming is a product of to many amazing and crappy games this producing a jaded new gaming community or is a system of how today mobile gamers are into f2p and don't truly recognize that games are a business offering that have many people involved in offering a product the game. As many games cost less than $5 checks than your one and done Starbucks coffee, or Burger King meal....

Not trying to say that we as gamers don't have a right or opinion to stare our feelings but it is essential that we all take a step back and recognize that games are products and products take time, energy, & resources to produce.

I for one detest f2p and don't recall playing more than 10 in my life as I can't stand the concept and truly would rather have a free taser and choose to purchase with no Iap. If mobile games on avg cost .99- $10.99 with some costing more with no iap I'd be most satisfied!

Congrats to have more gamers and many new gamers due to mobile gaming but please take a step back and recognize that this gaming industry is a business and industry and these professionals are part of a product workd with many creating a living from being an independent developer or a larger gaming company. We are gamers / consumers so our interest and demands drive what is created but we should be mindful of our demands.

10. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    IMHO that's not a flaw, just another thing to manage that adds to the game difficulty ;)
    Don't just your on every damn weapon on each ship; you have to carefully manage the limited energy each ship has and turn on more energy-draining weapons only when really needed.
    Space combat being real time makes this a hard task nonetheless.

So far I'm loving this game, even if I terribly suck XD

11. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I agree with you too.
    Games are a product of creativity and hard work, both from big companies and small teams of enthusiasts, sometimes even just one or two people.
    I can understand simple games put together in spare time of a few people could be sold for a few bucks or even for free, but it's also a business and many people want to make a living from it.
    I'm afraid that some mechanics that have been thriving on mobile stores, like the f2p "bad" model (because there are clear examples that f2p can also be done right), have contributed to give gamers the idea that they can and definitely should get great, big, AAA games without spending any money and the fact itself that they are spending money, even just $ 0.99 is enough a reason for the developers to do just what the gamers ask for, modifying the game in every aspect to reflect the gamers' wishlists.
    Being the gaming community on mobile platforms broader and less understanding of how the gaming business work, since most of them have no experience in whatever videogames, mobile phones/tablets being their first gaming experience, they can easily be driven to wrong conclusions by wrong/exploitative behaviors from game developers that just want them to try more and more of their games just to be tangled up in their pay-to-progress mechanic.
    If we think about the prices of titles such as X-Com, Bioshock, Oceanhorn on mobile phone, that's just crazy to think that games had better cost $ 1 or even less and work as I want them to and should never crash or hang and I just have to randomly keep of doing the same 2 actions to progress through the game, otherwise I'll give it 1-star review and ask for a refund.

Candy Crush, for example, is a simple and quite fun game, but I know that X-Com is on another level and I would never think that X-Com should be f2p. I wish there could be some way to teach those instant-gratification-hungry gamers what's what in gaming industry, but for some people that would be a waste of time, like for those who think it's right to download a movie and watch it for free...
    Just because some thing are given for free, it doesn't mean everything should be free. Just because you payed for a book, it doesn't mean you have to tweet the author to change the crappy ending because you don't like the one he wrote :/

12. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    So, there is cover in the game, but you can't fire and hit the enemy while using it ?
    That is really strange.
    You then need to step out of cover to fire and hit them then?
    Or the enemy needs to step around your barrier so you can both fire at each other?
    Where is the strategic advantage of cover in that?

13. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    I find that I can fire over half cover. What I've been doing is using movement as cover. The enemy can only fire where it's aiming at before you move, so you can find a new position and reload while the enemy is still adjusting to your move. I think it's a fun little bend on the XCom style. A little like Frozen Synapse.

14. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info atalkinghamsandwich.

I will pick this up and try it.

15. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Well I updated to the latest iOS. I've installed the game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. It sounds like a pretty cool game. I guess I'll see.

16. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    That's true only if enemy is using suppression fire. If they are taking aimed shots, they follow your movements as they fire

17. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    The UI could use some improvements to help with the situation. Considering what's on the screen already the least they could do is put in weapon toggles on the side or something.

Personally I would have preferred if the weapons don't toggle off by themselves, just fire when there's energy, it's needless micromanaging to be honest and the UI doesn't cater for it very well.

18. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #58 Reaganomics, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

Right. I just played the game for the first time. My impression is the game needs to be more intuitive too. In my opinion you have to press a lot of buttons for simple commands. At times I feel like it's cramped on my iPhone 6 screen, but at least there's a zoom to get around that. I'm getting used to the gameplay. The walking around part of the game is like your typical tbs so that's cool, I just have to get comfortable with the controls. I'm enjoying the flight sim part. I'm curious to see what the endless mode is about.

19. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I've only just discovered that you can let the AI manage the weapon systems just by picking a ship and toggling combat. This significantly eases the management side of things I found. Unfortunately the help menus don't exactly detail what certain buttons/options do.

20. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    This makes it a lot more fun. I set the other ships on full auto and they do a good job, then I set the Chindy to auto weapons/manual control.