iPad Star Battalion - by Gameloft [$0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Are you sure there is no gyro option anywhere? It even says gyroscope controls on gamelofts official screenshots and description.

2. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #102 Archimedes, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    EDIT: THERE IS GYRO BUT ONLY IN COCKPIT VIEW. Hit the button in the upper left to switch.

Good point that it's not TA's fault. Nice find man.

As far as Gyro being part of Accelerometer, you're right. It could be however, this time it definatetly is not. I'm sure you're used to the feel of Accelerometer and the feel of Gyro as far as responsiveness and, if you play Star Battalion, you'll immediately say to yourself, "Yeah, this is not Gyro."

So, looks like we are dealing with false advertising. I kid you not. The controls sluggishness scream Accelerometer.

EDIT:
    Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong but it certainly doesn't feel like gyro. Anyone else want to weigh in? Does it feel like Gyro to you guys? Maybe it's just me.

3. zrgrvsh

zrgrvsh Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    Hm, i tried the accelerometer-controls and it doesnt feel like gyro to me too. With gyro, the ship should move when rotating the device (not tilting, rotating), but nothing happens.

4. Archimedes

Oct 7, 2010
    #104 Archimedes, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    There is gyro!!

Here is a repost of a comment from Superninja in the comments on the article and he is ABSOLUTELY right. There is Gyro but only in one view.

"Gryo Controls are used in the Cockpit View you have to press a button on the left hand side to look around".

Once you pull up cockpit view it suddenly feels like Gyro. He's a genius. Don't know why Gyro is only available in cockpit but I'm glad it's there and I now will only play in that view.

Not that banking is not affected by turning body left or right as that would make the game not feel like a flight sim. Instead it uses the standard accelarometer tilts to move but with Gyro responsiveness. Highly recommend playing from cockpit. From cockpit, if you hold the button on the far left and turn your body as you would to turn with Gyro, you'll get the response you expect from six axis.

I hope this all makes sense.

5. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I don't have a iphone 4 or itouch 4 but if you hold your device in front of you, and move your body left and right (on a swivel chair), the environment should move accordingly. That type of motion doesn't work with the accelerometer.

EDIT: Disregard this :(

6. Archimedes

Oct 7, 2010
    Not Galaxy on Fire

This game looks and sounds like a Galaxy on Fire clone but it really isn't. This game is much closer to, say, Warhawk on the PS2 or Starfox. Much more arcade and mostly within a planets gravity. I don't see it's likeness on the appstore. It's kinda it's own thing which is new for Gameloft.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with the above statement. This really couldn't be lumped in with the whole "Gameloft clone" pack. I think they did a nice job of creating their own IP here, and have kind of marked out their own niche. It really doesn't play like GoF at all in my mind. My biggest complaint is that I wish it were longer. That's actually a pretty good thing.

8. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    I don't know about all these comments about the game being short and all but last night I played a good solid 3 hours multi-player with my girlfriend and the game says we are only 17% complete.

9. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    MP adds enemies it seems, it took me a lot longer to beat a level playing co-op than it did on my own.

I beat the first 5 levels last night and over the 60% mark I believe.

10. Micky_2367

Micky_2367 Active Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Head to Head battle would have been much better

11. zeroskate

zeroskate Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    student
    Prague, Czech republic
    does anyone know if there will be an Ipad version?When?

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Very interested in this game, but my wallet's already screaming at me for buying too many $1 apps. I've got to curtail my spending and $7 is way too much right now.

...waits six months until inevitable Gameloft $.99 sale...

13. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    I am on the 5th planet which is belpinn and the game says I'm 33% complete.
    And I do believe each planet has 2 missions each.

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I think, the length of the game is absolutely ok.
    Gameloft typical. Not really long, but also not too short.
    For the money, I have a hell of a great time right now, the fights are just awesome. Cockpit view with gyro (thanks for the info) totally rocks!!

15. AlanB

AlanB Member

Jun 10, 2010
    It's not my wallet...it's the time! I have so many great $1 apps that I never seem to have the time to do more than scratch the surface of any of them!

16. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I have 375 apps, and I'm definitely conservative on this front in comparison to some others. How many of these games do you think I've actually played? It doesn't matter if you've played them or not. Join the sickness, my friend. Join the addiction. Join the Darkside, Luke, for it is your destiny!

I buy most Gameloft games at 6.99. I would say 75-80 percent of them. I finish almost none of them. I have beaten a few. Some I play for a couple of levels and/or an hour or two, and then I move on to the next.

Probably 80% of the .99c games that I buy I never even play them at all. I only got them because they were such a bargin that I just couldn't resist.

I played 1 level of Spider-man, 1 level of Hero of Sparta 2, didn't even beat the first chapter of Gangstar: Miami Vindictation. And so it goes. I will beat the single player campaign for Modern Combat 2. I'll probably buy this and play a few missions and call it a day.

17. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Geez Dumazz, perhaps you should curtail your spending just a bit? If you aren't even playing them at all I don't see much of a bargain even at 99 cents!

I do have the "sickness" a bit however I force myself to either play through the games or delete them berfore I get a new one.

The more I play SB the more I wish it was a Freespace clone, it's not bad at all just much more arcadey then I would have liked. Oh well, KOF2 here I come!

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  19. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    This is a great game so far, I wish you could turn the sensitivity a bit down for the virtual stick controls farther than it goes now, but the auto aim makes up for that. The gyro controls are Awesome!

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Reviews and videos.

SlideToPlay
    [​IMG]
    TouchGen
    [​IMG]