iPad Star Battalion - by Gameloft [$0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Nuke77

Nuke77 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Does GameCenter allow voice chat for this game? Anyone that's been able to connect tried this yet?

2. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    I think its more Rogue Squadron than Star Fox. Controls are simple if you turn the gyro/tilttwist off first.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #83 ImNoSuperMan, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    Game Impressions

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    ...and compare with Black Space?

5. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    For online co-op can players join a game thats already in progress, or no?

If not, i hope there wont be a problem with people dropping out of your game, and having to quit and restart to find another player.

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Is this a good game?

7. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    So how does it work on a 2nd gen ipod touch? Does it even work on it?

8. jovy23

jovy23 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Is anyone else having Online Wifi Gamecenter Problems i can seem to get into a multiplayer Co-op game since like the whole day. It stays on searching and nothing happens.

9. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    This game looks pretty sweet for a gameloft clone. Kinda like Rogue Squadron knocked up Starfox 64 and she had a baby iPhone game with online coop. Sweet :D I'll be buying this with MC2 on payday...

Dude have you never played a game for 3 and a half hours straight? That's not a crazy long time. How long have you been playing games? Also, taking breaks or stretching the campaign out over a few days doesn't actually make the game any longer. Iron Man 2 was a weak excuse for a game, bad example.

10. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #90 Archimedes, Oct 18, 2010
    Danger danger! Wait... Scratch that.

EDIT: THERE IS GYRO BUT ONLY IN COCKPIT VIEW. Hit the button in the upper left to switch.

(WRONG)iPhone4 Users READ THIS BEFORE BUYING!

iPhone4 owners beware. Touch Arcade had a slight error. I purchased the game because I love Gyro controls but there was a slight slip-up in the TA preview. This game does NOT as of yet support Gyro. It is accelerometer control. Those who have played a game using Gyro know there is a big difference. Kinda upset I got the game. Thought I'd warn everyone so people don't make the same mistake I did.

EDIT: To see what I mean, take a look at these images from controls. There are two options to choose from for control schemes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    So this means Gameloft will start adding gamecenter to ALL their games?

12. Lifein2D

Lifein2D Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure most of us are using touch controls. Has anyone found a game that works well with gyro? I just can't seem to get used to it

13. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    According to the blub in the Appstore itself it talks about Gyroscopic controls .... if it DOESN'T its not TA's mistake.... its a misleading App description from GL themselves...

Don't forget Gyro is part of the whole accelerometer set so they might not make the distinction and have a 'Gyro on/off' switch ... it could quite easily be there when detected in the device type.

14. zrgrvsh

zrgrvsh Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    Yeah, i bought it for my iPhone 4 and the first thing i did was changing the controls to touch :D

15. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Modern combat 2 Black Pegasus

16. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    #96 Alienmario, Oct 18, 2010
    just wait for GOF2.
    and this is why. pick this up if you want 3 minute shooter for the bus
    or pick up GOF 2 for full campaign (my gameplay is 3 days of playing)

17. zrgrvsh

zrgrvsh Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    #97 zrgrvsh, Oct 18, 2010
    Well, what makes you think that GOF 2 will take longer?
    I played GOF 1 and the campaign was finished in like under an hour. Of course there where thousands of missions to play after the campaign, but there are basically only 2-3 types of missions and they are all the same, and there is absolutly no story to them. I was really dissappointed by the short campaign of GOF1 and the boring endless-mode afterwards.

18. Themartinclan

Themartinclan Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    True 3d or "rails" 3d like star pagga?

Is it true 3d? Ot is it that limited so you are basically always on the same plabe like Star Pagga? Honestly im not buying if my intelligence is insulted by another false 3D game.

19. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Great game although clearly not gyro-supported.
    But I'm a sucker for good space shooters. And this came by surprise.
    Entertaining although not that impressive graphically (I'm used better on the iPhone 4), but I'm having enough fun to recommend it.

20. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #100 Archimedes, Oct 18, 2010
    A good game but...

EDIT: THERE IS GYRO BUT ONLY IN COCKPIT VIEW. Hit the button in the upper left to switch.

So, it really is fun. There is no doubt about that. Still there are some issues. Other than the lack of gyro control (which I addressed earlier), my main concerns are:

Lack of control customization
    I guess I'm just spoiled at this point but it's Gameloft's fault. They've spoiled me. I'm used to having an option to reorganize my HUD and move the buttons and controls around. They offer this option with all there FPS's but not for this game. Worse yet, in the FPS's I've found the default control layout to be adequate but here it's poorly thought out. The right thumb has to control both control speed and control firing, two things you will eventually want to do at the same time. I'd really like to be able to move the speed controls or firing controls to the left of the screen but no dice.

Default layout shown below:
    [​IMG]

Frame Rate
    I'm running on an iPhone4 and dropping frames when things get busy on the screen. It's not unplayable to say the least. It's just annoying at times. This game is pretty but far from the prettiest I've seen. I say this not because I want it to be prettier. It's great. I'm just pointing out that it's not at a level of detail that would warrant frame drops. I think some code optimization could be done. Before someone asks, yes, I did a restart after installing and no other apps are running when I play : )

Those are my key complaints. Not so bad, really. The game is quite fun and worth the money. I do miss gyro controls, though.