iPad Star Battalion - by Gameloft [$0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    There's a first person view? Awesome.

2. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    #62 Nekcik, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    I've downloaded this game and put it on my girlfriends iphone as well and we played together via gamecenter and all I gotta say is this is really fun in multi-player mode. I let her try the first mission so she could get used to the controls, and when she was done we started multi-player on mission 2.

What I like about it is when your done the mission you can chose to go onto the next mission. everything in synced up with the other player so your both watching the same cut scenes and start playing at the same time. We both got to I think it was mission 5 and we would have kept on playing but this game drains batter life pretty fast.

Controls take a bit getting used to, well actually moving the ship around is easy, but I have problems with shooting so to help I enabled Auto assist or what-ever it was called. With that on shooting and steering was a breeze.
    The missions get a little bit harder as you go on or I should say the enemies get a bit harder and I like that the AI get a bit smarter and start using homing missiles which makes you use the swiping gestures to avoid them.

For those that are looking for cockpit view mode you can click on the ship and choose from Cockpit mode and 3rd person view. Increasing the speed helps bring a realistic ship battle while slowing down helps with shooting and easing the game out so you can shoot a bit more accurate other wise you just fly by everyone constantly.

I'm not quite sure if you can play more then 1 person but I'm going to try to tomorrow after work , hopefully someone else will be able to report more info on how many can play together at one time.

For those asking how this compares to Starfox. I've never played that game so I'm not really sure as this is only the second flying type full 3d multi-player game I've played with the other being Skies of glory and though that one is a fun game Star Battalion has a lot more going on.

This game has a lot of potential once more people purchase this and game center has a ton of people to play with. With this game being released ona Sunday with no Twitter announcement I'm going to go out on the limb and say this may have been an accidental release and wouldn't be surprised if this gets yanked tomorrow.

The only problem I've seen so far is a sudden pause like in the multi-player as gamecenter tried to sync myself and my girlfriend back , there must have been a small lag of some sort which happened twice, but after that everything ran smooth afterwards.

This is a great game and I can only imagine it getting better once we get into the space missions.

**Edit** Huge Plus to the game which I just check out and verified myself, but earlier I only played the offline missions to the second mission and my girlfriend and I played together online and started on the second mission, we got all the way but did not start the 3rd planet which is in space. I checked back and went to see if it's still unlocked via gamecenter and YUP! it saves your online progress which is nice, regardless whether or not you unlock these missions on campaign mode. (It actually saves to your campaign mode offline as well)

3. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    ahhh right, that makes more sense, i thought it meant initial price...

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the reports, US$6.99 if for multi-player only is a bit rough. At the same price, I would put Spiderman first.

BTW, how does this compare to Black Space?

5. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    There's single player. It's not multi only.

6. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    Something weird going on Game Center, could not connect, strange. Sorry marker1C

7. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Couple of issues here. An RTS is a completely different animal in terms of enabling 3G network play. It's much easier to run something like your typical RTS over 3G then to run Modern Combat 2 over 3G. (I still believe it's doable to run Modern Combat 2 or NOVA or Brothers In Arms 2 over 3G. Gameloft just has no interest in going the proverbial extra mile on this front, so to speak.) More importantly, Rogue planet was only published by Gameloft. It was not actually developed by Gameloft. This is the only game published under the actual seal of Gameloft that they did not develop themselves.

Rogue Planet was developed entirely by an Indie Dev team. Like how EA is going to published Reckless Racing, but Reckless Racing was actually developed by indie devs, and not EA itself.

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I am well aware of this fact and I think I have included a "if"... Thank you.

9. No offense, but it was probably your wording that threw him (and me) off. You should have said something like "US $6.99 if for multi-player only would have been a bit rough." ;)

10. jovy23

jovy23 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I like the game and its pretty good even though i didnt try multiplayer online yet. But Modern Combat 2 came out October 8th, then today Star Battallion came out October 17th, So i guess Dungeon Hunter 2 would be out by the end of October! :)

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    No problem. I think your rephrase is better.

Back to the game, not my grammar..... :rolleyes:

12. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I'm kind of interested and early reports are not bad and did some one say do a barrel roll sold

13. JJdaboss

JJdaboss Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Gonna have to check this out soon

14. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Reminds me of Colony Wars on PS(1).

Looks great for iPhone/iPod. A bit cheaper and I'd grab it.

15. red12355

Feb 20, 2010
    I just finished the game, solo. Took 3 and a half hours.. Kinda short for $7... haven't tried multiplayer yet.

The ending has a semi-cliffhanger, so there's probably gonna be a star battalion 2.

16. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    Knowing Gameloft, i thought this game featured aliens/humans fighting each other with telekinesis and swords that are on fire in a galaxy that is extremely close by

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    If it's a three and a half hour game, then there are several Gameloft games much shorter. Gameloft has created 90min/2hr games in the past. Iron Man 2 being one of them.

Also, it's a waste to buy a game for $7 when your mentality is to beat the whole thing in one sitting. Some people have the same mentality with console games. Pay $65 and beat the game, either in one sitting, if possible, or just do it as fast as humanly possible. When you do that, In my opinion, you are choosing to more or less throw your money away, so I'd rather you not complain about it after the fact.

18. red12355

Feb 20, 2010
    Huh? Relax, I wasn't trying to be like "omg this game sucks only 3 hrs". In most of these threads somebody invariably asks the length of the game, so I'm just putting it out there.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The latest Medal of Honor has a 5 hr solo campaign and retails for 59.95. I believe dumaz was reacting to the value judgement ("Kinda short for $7").

20. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Anyone?