Stair Dismount Touch - The Official Thread of Denial and Misinformation

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Frand, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    If this game existed, would anyone know if they already submitted it to Apple yet? Obviously that wouldn't be possible since this game doesn't exist, but if it did when could we expect it to be out?....:confused:

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    This post is a little too "cocky" for my tastes. Next time, try just giving the info without sounding so arrogant.

3. Alex_RKLS

Alex_RKLS Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I am not wishing for a Truck Dismount game to complement this one.

Not at all.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Did WWDC '09 bring any new info on this title?...
    Or has anyone heard anything new?... :confused:

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Bump. I need news. Frand!!!

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Holidays are starting to be over, work is proceeding. Zen Bound 3GS and Stair Dismount Touch are receiving love and attention :)

Kind of worried about Stair Dismount Touch, since the news lately has been that Apple has refused 3D ragdoll games as objectionable content. Would be bad if that happened here as well.

7. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Didn't the holidays end like 24 days ago?
    Wish I had extended holidays :p

Anywho, looking forward to STDs... or SDT. Hopefully there aren't any approval problems. How close are you guys to submission?

8. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Whoa

Know what.

Frand just made the mistake of granting me official power to represent our company, so now I'm totally denying his denials! No more double-talking for me! Fear my pink underpants!

So yeah. The Stair Dismount is coming for iPhone (and iPod touch).
    We ARE making the game.

What's even better, the previously screenshots indeed represent our work-in-progress/prototypes.

I'd like to take a moment to compare the original Stair Dismount (2002) to the new iPhone version -- just to see how much better it already is, and will be.

Here's an image from the original:
    [​IMG]

And here's a similar camera angle from the new game: (still work-in-progress)
    [​IMG]

Just from these two images can be said a lot...

- We have a new ragdoll, which behaves way cooler than the original one. For example there's now proper joint limits for limbs and the torso can also twist a bit.

- Ground is fogged which is then mixed to a nice blurry background with depth of field, just to have something nice in there but not stand out too too much.

- Extra UI clutter is put to a separate menu (opens from the wrench icon). Some more buttons pops from bottom of screen when dismounting starts, allowing control.

- After thinking long and hard we decided to keep the power bar system, but made it nice and round attached to the dismount button, rather than being at some ad hoc location in other side of screen. (I don't know what I was thinking originally... Or maybe I just wasn't?!)

- You can select the face to use on the ragdoll (select image from Photos).

- The aiming arrow can be pointed freely at the body by touching/dragging the position, not just pre-selected body parts. The transparent arrow also shows partly through the ragdoll in a different way compared to seeing it directly, so you always see where it is going to hit.

- Camera control is also more intuitive, performed by touch-dragging from screen edge or using pinch gesture. Camera follows the ragdoll when falling down.

There's a lot more to come and we'll be posting more news and images soon!

9. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    If there's some secret wishes you have for the game, now it's also a good time to give some suggestions... Some popular requests such as the custom face have already been added as can be seen. :D

10. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Ambient occlusion lighting

When making a game with 3D physics for iPhone, lot of the processing power (CPU) have to be dedicated to the simulation rather than crunching graphics... We're still doing our best to find the fine line and still have the game visuals stand out as best as possible.

We're working to get some sweet ambient occlusion approximation (both static & real-time!) to make the scene lighting look better. Here's a little teaser image of just the AO part of lighting stairs, without textures.

[​IMG]

11. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    If it were being made, I would love to be able to move the camera freely, via touchscreen, and have many optional scenery backgrounds to choose from, and maybe even unlock. That would be awesome if it were to happen.

12. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    also, what ever happened to cinnamon beats?

13. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

spinning and zooming the camera via touch is already implemented, and i think there are three different background schemes at the moment. damn we're good!

and cinnamon beats, it might be coming out some day, current version has all the sounds and graphics (i worked on those for a long time) but it isn't tight enough to meet our mad quality standards. before it can be released, it needs to be optimized real good so that it's satisfying and reliable to play with.

14. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I just came back from lapland! (visited northern Finland and Norway)

Meanwhile, here's some head measuring of Frand. :p He has such a weird anatomy, which is what makes new Mr. Dismount so intriguing.

[​IMG]

Thanks to polyfonken for mad photoshop skillz.

/me runs away before Frand notices...

15. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Secret wishes? None except that the game finally come out (and come with a secret truck mode).

16. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    When talking about secrets / easter eggs ... how much you people actually like such things or expect some to be there?

Past projects, which I have been part of, have varied from zero easter eggs to "quite a many"... also sometimes there's features which are implemented but not actually used. This happened e.g. in Sauna Dismount prototype game, where some users actually noticed it's possible to open the scene file (it's just xml) and make different scenario including dynamic obstacles (which weren't used in the original sauna dismount). And one user even turned the Sauna Dismount into a Stair Dismount. :)

17. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Whoah, I make those pink frames look good.

In a show of appreciation, please remind me to fire our engineers and graphics guys. This will naturally push back our development schedule a bit, but at least it makes me feel better.

As a side note, I can assure you all that vegetables were harmed during the making of the sound effects.

18. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Another update on the visuals

Oh yeah. Now the visuals are starting to be shaped up pretty nicely.

Here's new update about work in progress -- before/after images:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The stairs are now textured which makes them feel more real, and the previous teaser of ambient occlusion is tweaked further and applied to the scene. Hope you like the difference... :)

Oh, and this change doesn't really affect performance. Adding the texture is a very minor performance hit, but it's offset by the fact that lighting is actually now simpler (no more "dynamic" sky light for the stair).

19. LeFishy

LeFishy Active Member

Jun 7, 2009
    This is almost as awesome news... Yes I only discovered it today... as Canabalt coming out :>

Also I approve of your humour. Please keep it up.

20. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Just a little bump ... to tell you that we're still working with the game full speed ahead, just polishing it up... :D