iPad Stair Dismount - The Official thread of Love and Fractures

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Frand, Nov 25, 2009.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Well I have been playing this all day (in between downloading games that have dropped to .99) and I have yet to get bored with it. I stated earlier I didn't care for Max Injury but this game is very well done.

More levels would be nice but there are so many touch points on the guy that it gives you a ton of options and chances to increase your score. Not to mention the power meter. The replay feature is fantastic and the whole game just comes together really well. This game seems to be a love it or not so it is hard to say how you would feel about it since there is no lite version. I love it.

2. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Might just wait on a lite version then.

Any word on one?

i want to love the look of it, because i know a new secret exit game should be very exciting for me. wish i could just take the plunge and buy it, but as you say, all the sales are stopping me.

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

What if we do not want to use facebook connect
    can we still add a face?

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep you can add from your photo library.

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

cool, i had actually purchased it right after i posted that, i figured it would be a great stress reliever for the holidays, and now that i can add faces from the library, it should be an even better stress reduction tool

thanks

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    So far, I have to say, I love it!
    The level of polish is fantastic!
    The dust is a nice detail.
    Music and sounds are perfect.

My only wishes:
    as mentioned: online leaderboards (that would bring me back again and again)
    and since I don't use Facebook to post any game stuff (don't wanna spam my friends) - at least I could live with a Twitter integreation a la Canabalt.

Otherwise, congrats!

7. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I grabbed this because I love Secret Exit, and any company that can make an amazing game like Spin is in my good graces forever. While 2.99 is a bit pricey compared to other games (though, really, 2.99 is a miniscule amount of money and perhaps a lot of us need some perspective on that sort of thing), the level of polish here is amazing. It feels like it was built from the ground up for the iPhone (despite the fact that that isn't really the case).

One question: can you not adjust the direction of the arrow? I assume there's a way to do that, but I haven't been able to figure it out in my tinkering.

8. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Alright, launch day dust has settled, we've sat down and here's what happens next:

The reason we didn't integrate any of the current social modules is because we had more ambitious plans for the future involving linking of replay data and leaderboards.

With the feedback from the forums and reviews, we've understood that online high scores are a key feature and we've started work to implement them today. Leaderboards will be implemented using one of the leading social modules.

We were hoping to submit version 1.1.1 (details in the first post of the thread!) in a matter of days, but since it would come out after a lengthy approval period and the features it adds aren't those that have been most requested we don't want to cause a disappointment. So instead the new version will be submitted to Apple only after leaderboards have been implemented.

Expect some new scenarios with reasonable confidence as well, but no promises yet on how many. Quality over quantity is our thing :)

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Will the high scores allow for the body part struck? So high score on Classic and struck in the head for instance?

Any plans to reveal the co-ordinates I mentioned before?

10. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    This game is quite awesome.

11. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Our goal is to have a global leaderboard per scenario, we haven't yet looked into the details of what kind of things the social module allows us to do, but it's important that the number of high score lists remains manageable and interesting for all users.

The stats-screen is one element of the game we'd like to improve to include more data from each Dismount, but that will not happen for the next update.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for pointing this out, it does help make finer adjustments on where I place impact. But also it seems that when you pinch to zoom in on your dude, it only focuses on him from the waist up. So if I want to zoom in and be precise somewhere on his legs, well I just can't. Maybe it could be adjusted somehow to allow this. I'm also really interested in being able to move the starting point around, I hope to see that as well.

You mentioned replay data, do you mean stats or actual replays? One thing that would be huge for this game is to be able to save replays and/or share them. I've already had plenty of dismounts that I would love to revisit or show someone. It seems like since the replay ability is already there, you could expand on it fairly easily. Another thing I'd like to see with replays is some sort of scrubber dial so you could manually adjust the playback speed on the fly. It seems like so much work went into making all the physics look so good, that it would be nice to go back and really appreciate it in slow-mo if you wanted.

I really really like this game. The aesthetics and overall quality are just fantastic. I agree it won't be for everyone, but personally I've been sinking way more time into it than I thought I would. Totally glad I bought it, and looking forward to new stuff eventually being added. Thank you for the entertainment :D

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    +1!!
    I love to hit the legs and feet :)

14. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

Our original idea (and the reason we don't have leaderboards yet) was to have everyone's replays accessible not only from a "replay gallery" but also from the leaderboard screen. So the idea was, when you see your friends dismount that's racked MASSIVE scores, you would've been able to click on that and see how it was made.

However, implementing that would require a lot of time and since the obvious community rection is that high scores are the most important thing, we'll focus on implementing those in a good way first, using one of the available social platforms, not the perfect but really time-consuming way we had planned for.

15. minameismud

minameismud Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    two feature requests:

1. allow us to change the angle of the hit - like let me hit the back of the dismounter's thigh at an upward angle. check out various billiards games for how to implement that.
    2. truck dismount? anyone else remember that game? it's a bit different in that you just have to position the dismounter somewhere in/on the truck and it drives into a wall, but i think you could add this and have a super killer app

16. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Well I was always a fan of Stair Dismount and this one doesn't really disappoint either. It's just a fun game to have to pick up and play.

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the response. Quick question, so you're going to add leaderboards using Plus+, Openfeint, Agon, or something similar. Does this mean you will abandon you're "perfect but really time-consuming" ideas? I want leaderboards as much as the next person, but I'm also really patient and if you guys have big ideas I don't think I'd be alone in saying that I'd be fine with waiting to see what you guys had planned. Thinking about seeing a monster score and then being able to click it and watch a replay of how it went down is really exciting sounding. I'd love to see that still come to this game.

18. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Yes.

First things first. Patience and the internet are polar opposites, and therefore we must cater to the priority requests. All our big plans depend on sales, and the harsh reality is that sales and "I'd buy this if it had feature X" do not go together.

Dismount games can grow to become everything all of us want them to be, but not with demands, only support :)

On a positive note, today two levels were created to the game (necessity is the mother of invention after all!) and they are positively brutal.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't help but feel Secret Exit have done a Tim Langdell with the usage of the word "dismount"...

20. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member