iPad Stair Dismount - The Official thread of Love and Fractures

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Frand, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

To get finer control over the impact point, you can pinch to zoom closer to Mr. Dismount.

2. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Update 1.1.1 detailed in the OP (screenshots added).

3. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    A level (stair) editor would be a great addition. iBlast Moki replay value is insane with their level creator.

BTW that video was very well done. Got me interested in your app.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #24 1337brian, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Frand please don't take this the wrong way, but seriously only 6 levels on launch?... Max injury really has taken the lead with a $1 price point and more levels when it released. I have really been waiting on this one since the first thread back in March, but now I think I'm going to hold off until there is another update with more levels. I just can't justify spending $3 when I got MI for $1. Sorry but you guys just missed the boat on this one for me... Don't get me wrong, SDT looks way more polished and I'm sure the physics are better, but really they are the same game in different packages...

P.S. Not everybody uses facebook...

5. enkein

enkein Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Latvia , Riga
    funny game :D

6. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #26 djflippy, Nov 25, 2009
    @ Secret Exit - Thanks for your quick response in the previous thread. It's good to hear that the aforementioned "pros" were the features you focused on for this release, because they are all quite good. I'm also glad to hear that we can look forward to updates, possibly addressing some of the "cons". I fully understand that the 1.0 release may not include all of your desired features.

To answer your query and clarify my comment about face-mapping, the feature doesn't interest me at all, but I realize some people may like it, which is why I also said "your mileage may vary".

As to the feature to price ratio, perhaps my expectations were to high, due to my love for Zen Bound, or perhaps not. Zen Bound is a cohesive and complete experience; art, sound, controls, and gameplay are all polished to perfection, in my opinion. The level select screen is one of the best I've seen in any game. Stair Dismount does not reach the same level of quality, IMO.

Since the levels are just staircases, it seems like there could have been way more of them, if space allowed. It seems like when I want to play another level, I have to back all the way out to the main menu and workaround the facebook questions again. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but if it's there, it's not obvious to me and the current implementation doesn't provide the feeling of progression that I would like to have. Other physics games like iDropDead have multiple types of dynamic objects to smack the character around and even though you have more localized game, I think there could have been powerups or something to spice it up; maybe poking the guy in mid-fall could apply another physics impulse or landmines could be placed on the stairs so that it would increase his travel duration and impacts. Maybe a black hole could draw him in another direction or you could blast him with a shotgun to fine-tune his descent. LOL, whatever. I should also mention that I'm not a facebook user, so I can't comment on that feature, but I don't want to trivialize your work on that portion of the game. Having never played the game upon which this is based, perhaps I just don't "get it".

Anyway, good luck with the game and I will continue to support your game development with future purchases.

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

No offense taken, feel free to bite when what we offer is something that you find appealing :)

We will add new levels in the future, that much is obvious. Our goal for the first release was a solid v1.0 with everything polished up to our standards. The current levels are the best ones from a larger pool of various tests and new ones will be added when we are satisfied with them.

Box Shaped Games did good with Max Injury and I tip my hat to their success, but their design and production focus is very different from Stair Dismount. I wouldn't recommend comparing any two games only by looking at the number of levels or the number of features.

PS. Stair Dismount lets you pick any photo in the device Photo Library and share it via email. (The email is sent without exiting the application.) Facebook isn't required, it's just a feature we like to make noise about.

8. Kramer

Kramer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Well, I waited for this over buying other similar style games and while the presentation and controls are great, I'm rather disappointed that there are no online High Scores.

As there's only 6 levels currently, I would have expected some High Score table action to gain more longevity.

Shame, really hope online High Scores are a priority for the team.

Lovely, but limited.

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Thanks for your support!

I can't wait to discuss the new Zen Bound in more detail, but it's still a longer while away.

To select a new scenario in Stair Dismount, simply tap the top left back-arrow twice - no need to exit all the way back to the main menu.

As for game feedback and ideas, this is definitely the right place for them.
    If only everyone remembers that game development involves a budget, and doesn't move at internet pace ;)

10. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I was wondering about the possibility of moving the original position of the dismounter. Not sure if that goes against the spirit of the game, but I felt like that was what I wanted to do more than anything when playing the game.

arn

11. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Frand great game her is my review for those who are thinking about buying.

The first thing you notice is the great physics and graphics. Gameplay isn't very deep but it's hella fun to watch your little guy fall down a huge flight of stairs. The face changer is a great addition so you can watch your most hated celebrities epically fail. Although there is no highscore leaderboard at the moment the picture feature somewhat replaces that but doesn't fill that hole. Now to my only complaint of the game. Maps. The 6 maps you get are fun and interesting but they just need more. I would love to see a map full of boxes and other obstacles. I also think wifi and Bluetooth multiplayer would be great like a race to the bottom sort of thing or a closest to pin game. Currently is this game worth 2.99? YES!! When new and varied maps and a leaderboard are added this game will be an even better experience. Great game secret exit. Just please update faster than GameLoft.

Btw how do u add iPhone pics to the forum I got a great 1.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  13. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    #33 djflippy, Nov 25, 2009
    Add photos using either the paperclip or landscape icon at the top of the post field.

14. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Okay, I just picked this up and I really like it. I will say that I didn't like Max Injury because it felt unpolished and for what ever reason, I just didn't have fun playing it.

Stair Dismount is very polished. I love the FaceBook connect but I realize that not everyone likes that feature. I don't have a problem with the limited amount of stairs because I am having fun playing each one several times trying to find the sweet spot for the best score. It also seems like it would be pretty easy to add new stairs in the future.

Overall, I find Stair Dismount to be a very polished, fun game. The replay feature and being able to pause at any point kicks major ass.

My only question regarding FaceBook is, I am able to use all of my friends pictures but it will not let me use mine even though it shows up at the bottom of the page. Right now I am using my wifes picture but I would like to use my own at some point.

15. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Current feature requests:
    - Online high scores
    - More levels & variety
    - Select your own face in FB connect
    - Ability to change Mr. Dismount's starting position
    - Retain last selected face
    - Multiplayer

Will add these to the list of requests in the OP, and add responses once the dust has settled a bit :)

16. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    IMG_0097.JPG

Can y'all se it? How do u post a screenshot in you iPods photo library to the forum on your iPod??

17. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Adding a target on the ground that, when hit, increases your score might be fun.

18. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    grats on the game Frand, being a megafan of secret exit, im afriad im sitting this one out for a while.

mainly because of the fact i have never beena fan of the Pain/Injury games, although i have no doubt this one would probabyl be the best available (i include PSN ;))

its just fzen bound felt like such an original idea, and im just not feelign it. and for 2.99 the gameplay feels a bit one dimensional.

of course the main reason im posting this is so people can convince me otherwise, because i love these devs and i want them to blow me away yet again :)

anyway congrats again frand and the SE team :)

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is a fun toy, but that's pushing it a bit... some of these games have a thousand times more content, the one aspect that really holds Stair Dismount back.

20. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    you might have misunderstood,

i dont have the game, i was just guessing, since i love secret exit so much that it would probably be my favourite out of all the pain injury games, as they always execute their apps really well.

but my main points is : even with the blatant blind fanboyism i have towards the devs, i just dont find the draw in general with these games and i was hoping some people could try and convince me this is worth my interest.