Universal Stack & Crack (by Jambav)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RammmSK, Jan 24, 2018.

1. RammmSK

RammmSK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 12, 2017
    India

Oh man! :confused:

I haven't witnessed this before! And, even now, I couldn't recreate the bug in my iPhone!

Will test it on the iPad and let you know! Thanks a lot!!!

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I had some undo troubles but for me they were not major and only in a few levels, But I should have said something about it sorry for my lack of stack ha ha, you are right y2kmp3 always observatory as you are and this is a compliment from me, no thanks ha ha.

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the prompt reply, RammmSK. Looking forward to seeing if you can find a specific trigger. This is important for me because I like to know if I need to backtrack to redo all previously completed levels to make sure that they were not solved merely due to a glitch.

4. RammmSK

Patreon Bronze

Mar 12, 2017
    India
    Some troubles in Undo??? Are you using iPhone or iPad?

5. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Ipad Pro the first one and with latest OS.

Yeah the undo had troubles only in the fields with the buttons to open or to unlock a tile, the one with the arrows on it, and when you did an undo it kept stuck on those tiles, sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner.

6. RammmSK

Patreon Bronze

Mar 12, 2017
    India
    Thank you so much! Will definitely give it a spin! I haven't seen the bug on my iPhone yet! :confused:

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    RammmSK,

I don't use iCloud. Is there a way to "backup" my game save data from the device (directly), including if the device is jailbroken or not?

Also, how do I reset and delete the current game data so that I can start a new game fresh from the beginning? Right now, even after I delete the app (on a device that does not use iCloud), the progress from the previous game is still there when I reinstall the game, making it impossible to start anew.

8. RammmSK

Patreon Bronze

Mar 12, 2017
    India

Sorry, you can’t backup the data without using iCloud!

And sorry again, there is no option to reset the game progress right now! I doubt how you got the game progress even after deleted and reinstalled the game on a non iCloud device. :confused:

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #49 y2kmp3, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    This is terrible!!!

I just tried it. I disabled iCloud save (verified that there is no save data on iCloud). Delete the app. Reboot the device. Reinstalled the app. Open the game and it picks up EXACTLY where I left off.

This bugs me a lot as I accidentally hit the hint button (not knowing that it was a hint button) when I was playing the first world. I just found out the function of that button. I tried to delete the game so that I can start over again with a full complement of hints (as a badge of honor). :(

Is it possible that the game saves the progress locally in the keychain or somewhere else that does not get deleted when I delete the app?

10. RammmSK

Patreon Bronze

Mar 12, 2017
    India
    I tried disabling the iCloud, deleted the game and reinstalled it! And facing the same issue like you! Will release a new update with a reset progress option, man! Really sorry! :(

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #51 y2kmp3, Feb 13, 2018
    RammmSK,

I am glad that you are able to reproduce this glitch. Looking forward to seeing the reset option.

Here is some more info that may help you to troubleshoot the root cause. I reinstalled the game on a different iPad running iOS 9. The game data deleted normally as expected (with the iCloud data sync option disabled in the game) when the app itself was deleted and then reinstalled. Unlike the game running on my original iPad running iOS 10, no data persistence issue was observed. Thus, this appears to be an issue with local data storage (with or without iCloud sync) specific to iOS 10 (and may be iOS 11).

I spoke to a friend who is a programmer, as I have not encountered such an issue before in a game app. He suggested looking to make sure that the user game data are not persistently stored in local and iCloud keychains which do not get cleared when the app is uninstalled and to make sure that the user game data are not rolled into the ubiquity-kvstore iCloud storage such that the game auto retrieves the previous save data whenever the app is reinstalled after being deleted.

On a brighter note, I am quite enjoying the game so far. I am surprised to see so many clever mechanics and level design, even under the constraint that only 4 controllable tiles are given to the player.

12. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    RammmSK,

Can you explain if the special tiles are ever put into a level solely as red herrings?

I am asking because I think I ran into an unintended shortcut solution that essentially "breaks" the intended solution path for the level. While I have found many levels to be solvable in multiple ways, this is the first level in the game in which I found an overt solution that basically bypasses the level's intended challenge.

The level is
    Partitioner-8
    . Here is the shortcut solution I discovered that only needs the
    Flip
    tile but not the
    Partition
    or
    Jump
    tiles:

1. Red moves SE (southeast) down 2 tiles.
    2. Orange moves N (north) up 1 tile diagonally to stack on Red.
    3. Blue moves SW (southwest) down 5 tiles.
    4. Red (with Orange) moves SE down 1 tile to stack on Blue.
    5. Blue moves NE (northeast) up 2 tiles to be flipped.
    6. Orange (flipped from Blue) moves N (north) up 3 tiles diagonally.
    7. Green moves W (west) across 2 tiles diagonally to stack on Orange (with Red and Blue).
    8. Orange moves S (south) down 3 tiles diagonally to be flipped.
    9. Green (flipped from Orange) moves W (west) across 3 tiles to portal exit.

For this level, there is also a second shortcut solution that does not need the
    Jump
    tile, but the above solution should suffice to illustrate my claim.

Very interested in your thoughts on my discovery.

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #53 ROGER-NL, Feb 13, 2018
    Glad that you like the game y2kmp3 otherwise I didn’t recommended it.

This sentence doesn’t make sense, ah well english is not my native, hope you get the point ha ha.

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #54 y2kmp3, Feb 13, 2018
    Roger-NL,

Can you backtrack to The Partitioner-11 level and tell me if you are able to solve this level using both the Jump and Partition tiles and not just the Jump tile alone? Want to prove that the Partition tile is NOT a red herring for this level (especially given that this world is named for this particular mechanic).

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just did the level again and I didn’t needed the P-tile, didn’t noticed that myself the first playthrough hmmm, can’t do the level using the P-tile.

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Can you do me a favor and use the hint to see what the intended solution is for this level? Up to now, I have always been able to solve a level using all of the "alloted" special tiles, even when I was able to find a shortcut solution unintended by the developer. This is important because it may mean that red herrings are being used intentionally as a distraction.

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just woke up and used the hint button on level 11 of partition and it doesn’t use the P-tile as I expected because you can’t do the level that way so it must be a red herring as you call it.

18. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the help, Roger-NL. This is an important finding you uncovered, as it means that the game deliberately uses red herrings in the level design (alternative explanation is that the tile was a remnant from a previously modded level).

I have since uncovered other levels which could be solved without using all of the given special tiles. However, in these cases, I was able to solve the levels using the "presumed" intended solution paths that make use of those tiles.

Most interested in what the developer can reveal about these design choices...

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Roger-NL,

Can you check another level (God Tile-8) to see if the intended solution uses ALL of the special tiles?

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Just want to thank publicly Roger-NL for sending me the screenshots showing the intended solution for God Tile-8 level. The intended solution is exactly the solution I discovered myself and confirmed that some special tiles are placed deliberately to act as red herrings.