Squaresoft have stooped to a new low

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bmn0210, Mar 18, 2010.

1. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    #1 bmn0210, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-xiii-larger/id361637135?mt=8

Yes, you read that right folks, $8.99. $8.99 for a bunch of pictures you could find on Google (and at a much higher resolution too).

This really sets a new low for business tactics on the App Store; it seems Square saw the success of "Mario and friends 2" and decided decided to pull a copycat maneuver, seeing there was a profit to be made from submitting a ridiculously overpriced "app" consisting of nothing but pictures/sound effects and waiting for the thousands of hapless users who would buy it thinking it was a game.

2. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I think it's Square Enix and yes it is pretty low

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Well, to be fair, you must be really excited about the app and in a hurry to purchase to think that its the game and not a bunch of pictures.

4. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    I wish I could agree, but sadly the number of morons who bought "Mario and friends 2" just because of the word "Mario", without even realizing it wasn't made by Nintendo, proves that theory wrong.

Not to mention that Square have priced this EXACTLY the same as their games.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #5 Vovin, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010

You can't blame Square Enix for that. The only ones to blame are the people who hit the Buy-button too fast.
    It says "Gallery" in the title, it says "gallery" in the description (first sentence!) and the nature of this app is precisely defined.
    People too stupid to notice even that... well, deserve it.

Btw., apps like these are highly successful and appreciated in Japan.

6. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    You've got a point.
    Meh, maybe I'm too cynical.

7. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Still a valid point that the app sucks for that price you could buy a couple of pretty decent games.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Well, that's right - but only from western point of view.

S/E is trying that outside Japan for the first time.
    And you should see the japanese "otaku".
    When they're fan of something, then deep down to the bottom of their hearts.
    Apps like actually sell very well in Japan.

9. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    This is awful. And the full game isn't even that good! From what I understand it takes a very long time to warm up to the good parts but shouldn't a good video game grab your attention almost right away (like in the older Final Fantasy games)?

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm liking the new FF so far, didn't take me any longer than some of my other favorite RPGs to warm up to it.

I'd play it for myself before I start saying that it's not even that good. Make up your own mind, don't let others do it for you.

11. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm 3 hours into the game and I can't stand the story so I stopped playing. The battle system is really fun but I really don't care about the characters at all. It's really disappointing because I loved all the older Final Fantasy games (except 12 which I haven't played much of yet)

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I guess I'm the opposite. 12 is my favorite one and this one keeps getting better and better for me.

I'm a big RPG fan, but I've never really enjoyed the FF series until 12. I've played and beat most of them, but it was nothing special.

13. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    well.. There's nothing illegal about it.... and some people actually rated 5-4 stars for gallery... obviously you're the only one complaining about $9 gallery when you should've just ignore it.

14. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    some of those otaku are freaks

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I just looked at the reviews on iTunes, and it seems that everyone making comments all knew it was a photo gallery. Their are some minor complaints about content, but no one has said anything about this being a mis-represented app.

They also state that the photos are not found on the web or within the game. My suspicion is that they are artist renderings that they did not use for publicity, but still were considered high quality.

Would I buy it - never - not that much into purchasing game art, but it seems that there are a number of pretty satisfied customers even at the price point...

16. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    [​IMG]

17. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I could of gone my whole life without seeing that image...

18. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    ^ this is why I don't want ever want to see TA user Avatars.