Universal Sproggiwood (by Freehold Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Teeny tiny squares of greatness. There is a little more planning involved in DD as there are lots of races(7) and classes(20) to mix and match, you really have to understand and take advantage of each races and each classes perks because you won't win without them.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I would say this has better production values than most. Many roguelikes are relatively unattractive. This, on the other hand, is highly polished. Moreover, the gameplay is really tight, the whole thing feels finely tuned, and the classes are quite distinct. There are many games that have some of those things, but few that have all of them. Whether that is worth the premium price for you, personally, only you can answer. If you're looking for something genre-bending, this probably isn't it, but the entire package here is rather well done and very much worth the price if this is your cup of tea.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Too many premium.games.. I have to get chaos rings that's like a MUST.. So it's either this or deskstop.. But I kinda prefer this game over deskstop as people are complaining the graphics sucks.. While this looks crisp

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I would get both of I have an ipad to play DD and chaos rings, and geometry wars
    Hope KOTOR 2 is not gonna be released next week

5. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Just popping in to say this game is a ton of fun. I'm definitely a sucker for roguelikes, but I'm also very critical of them. Constantly finding new and interesting gear and unlocking new characters with unique skills really gives this game a lot of momentum. The only thing that feels extraneous is the purposelessness of designing your village. Can I really just place unlimited decorative objects that do nothing for free? It's nice to customize, but it feels half baked compared to the tight design found everywhere else in the game. Anyway, always happy to pay premium for a game that was made with thoughtful care and tight design, so I'm very pleased.

6. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Yeah it got a high replayvalue with all 6 class
    And each class play differently
    And it also have GC achievement

I think the town building is simething that the dev dropped when developing the game

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Fantastic rogue-like! So worth the €10. Actually playing with the thief going invincible and set up the room with fire traps and then boom. He wrecks so badly.

8. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Now when you say cloud saves as a future update target...would this include the PC version? Because I already have this on steam, and that's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger to have this in my pocket at all times.

Roguelikes are the absolute worst genre to be judging a book by the cover. Desktop Dungeons is a brilliant and fun game, so you can't go wrong with either here.

9. Annii

Annii Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I'm really intrigued by this game but I was wondering how it controls. I have very limited movement in my left hand so only play games that I can play with one hand. Most ipad games are fine, it tends to be the ones that have virtual joysticks on the left hand side or the left hand side of the screen dedicated to movement (sadly I can't play wayward souls). How does it control?

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    You could easily play this with one finger. Movement is with the virtual "compass" in the bottom right. There are no complex gestures or nothing like that. Beyond tapping buttons.

11. PSquared

PSquared Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Left Handed >.<

I love rogue likes. I love premium games. I love supporting good indie developers. I was so excited to buy Sproggiwood that I stayed up late to get it... Then three hours later then that as the App Store was having issues again. I was so elated only to have that excitement just destroyed when I tried to play.

Why? Like 90% of people in My country I am right handed and this game currently only has a left handed setup. Now it is totally playable 'left handed' by righties due to its turn based nature allowing me to take as long as I need to think and press the proper control. Still, every time I make a decision I then have to consciously reign in my instinctual desire to use my left hand to move and right to hit a skill. Every person is different and perhaps this bothers me more then it bothers others... But it is a well accepted fact that if a player doesn't like the controls of a game it is really hard to enjoy that game... And for me playing left handed is just not fun.

I did soldier on for about an hour and I really tried to make an effort to get used to it. I wanted to give it a fair shot and I REALLY want to experience the game but... It just doesn't work for me. I have to say that in the hour I played the game looks great and has a wonderful design and I am just salivating to really dig in and play it. I couldn't be more enthusiastic... Or more frustrated. Every controller for as far back as I remember.. NES, Gameboy, Game and watch... even modern mouse and keyboard... Left hand movement is just 100% the standard. I think it is great you can play left handed, more options the better, but to completely lack right handed controls just baffles me. I don't feel 'cheated' per say... But I wish I knew about this or saw a warning in the App Store prior to making the purchase... Or getting so hyped. I'm definitely not the sort of person to leave a bad review or ask for a refund but I definitely fall into the 'disappointed but don't want to leave a bad review about a indie game that looks so good' category.

I did see that The/A developer mentioned that creating/implementing a way to play right handed was on the roadmap and that is promising. Very promising... But right this moment I've paid $10 for a game I can't enjoy. So here is to hoping that this option is added, and added sooner rather then later. Also, to be fair, there are plenty of right handed people playing this that either don't mind this control scheme or mind... But can deal with it... So I might be in the minority. Take my experience with a grain of salt but Just thought I'd share my experience for what it's worth.

12. irettillib

Sep 28, 2013
    @PSquared Idk, man. I'm right handed and I never thought twice about it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. Bummer that it's keeping you from enjoying the game, though. Dev mentioned that it's slated for the first update, I think, so shouldn't be too long at least.

13. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    That is a LOT of words to say 'I don't like the controls.'

14. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    What's the longevity like on this?

I don't mind paying the £8 but if I can finish it in 2-3 hours I'll wait for a sale. (I'm not mean, just frugal)

15. irettillib

Sep 28, 2013
    I'm playing on Savage (hardest) and I have 3 characters unlocked, I've beaten level 1 with all three, and level 2 with 1. I've probably put a couple hours in.

16. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    You’re not gonna be able to finish this in 2-3 hours it got 30 levels with 6 classes that we can play, every class have unique playstyle
    Plenty of weapon armor accessories from dungeon

It got >10 hours IMO
    I’ve spent 3 hours and I’m just on the 3rd level

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If you are keen to replay the levels with different classes with a completely different set of skills (which also unlocks things in the overworld), you are not going to finish the game in two, six, or even 12 hours.

Edit: It gets significantly harder past the first three levels.

18. 30 levels? There are 10 locations on the map. Are you counting each difficulty mode as 10?

That's not to say it's a short game. I've sunk plenty of hours into it and am nowhere near completing it.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #139 undeadcow, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Sproggiwood is a long and difficult game with good replay value; I've spend at least 10 hours obsessively playing it since release and am not near halfway on the obvious levels (maybe there are more?). Alot of the content is in it's puzzling "Nintendo hard" difficult and replaying levels with different classes so it could feel grindy over long sessions... but I've enjoyed it, now back to 'just one more game' of Sproggiwood.