Universal Sproggiwood (by Freehold Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    A well regarded input method for 4-way movement is to divide the entire screen into up/down/left/right sections, and tapping those moves you.

2. That *might* work for iphone, but I think it would be annoying for an iPad.

Personally, I keep wanting to just tap the space I want to move to. But I'm not sure if something like that would interfere with the other controls.

3. unormal

unormal Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #83 unormal, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    So to address the feature requests I've heard so far:

I've tried tap-to-move and it's super annoying when you try to tap a button but move instead since single turns are very impactful. However, that's an issue that could be worked around with thoughtful design (limiting tappable areas/etc). I'm certainly willing to play with one or two new tap-to-move modes in a future patch.

Cloud saves are definitely on the road-map, just didn't make it in for release.

512mb device support is definitely on the road-map, similarly didn't get it 100% stable for release.

Resuming an in-dungeon suspend is a trickier ask, it's a large amount of architectural work, and it wasn't really designed with that in mind. Dungeons are 3-4 levels and 5-10 minute affairs, and we were thinking that would be an adequate chunk. If it isn't, I'll have to put some thought into how possible it is. It's certainly not *impossible*, but it's got some challenges...

4. Flip90

Flip90 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Steam box prob not a great idea i looked into them but they dont come highly recommend. For the price the power isn't the best from them although I suppose it depends what games you want to play. I have a asus gaming laptop that plays most games but not on ultra settings and I think most steam boxes have lower spec except maybe the most expensive. Worth a bit of research though as im not the most clued up Pc gamer.

5. I think the touchpad is fine for this type of game, but I wouldn't mind seeing what other options you come up with. :)

I really have no complaints with the game other than lack of iCloud and auto-saves. Not so much because the levels are long, but because sometimes you get interrupted and these iDevices can be finicky. It's certainly not the end of the world, though -- there are games with much longer times between saves than this one. The game itself, save options aside, is practically flawless. :)

6. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Love that the dev stays in the loop on here =] wanted the game for a long time on steam but figured I'd just wait till it hit iOS, only got to play an hour so far but it's tons of fun and the characters are great, my only fear is that it might be to easy but haven't been playing long enough to say that and I'm only on normal mode right now! Having tons of fun right now though love the game !

7. It gets much harder. I've been stuck on one level for a while now. :p

8. sweeneyish

sweeneyish Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Opera Singer
    Toronto
    I don't post here very often, but I had to just to say how much I love this game. It's totally captivated me so far. Beautiful graphics, challenging gameplay, really cool story. My devices are jam packed with rogue likes, and this is my favourite one by far. Amazing job!

Quick question if anyone here knows - is there a way to deal with the poison some slimes leave behind? I'm guessing part of the strategy is to kill them in a place you don't have to walk later, but if there's a way to deal with the poison otherwise I'm missing, would be good to know.

9. Digibear

Digibear Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    This game is really amazing. Been really enjoying how easy it is to get into!

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#90 andsoitgoes, May 28, 2015
    I would also GREATLY appreciate the ability to swap sides, a left handed mode if you will.

I have some serious RSI issues with my hands and even the tapping on directions causes me massive problems now. My right being the worst, so switching the movement to the left would be awesome.

Unormal, is that possible? PLEASE? I love this game dearly already but it really is a struggle to play.

Also, has anyone figured out what "PC" means in the control scheme?

Wow. I just noticed. This drops out of memory immediately after putting it in the background. Yeah, that's going to be real annoying. I get not saving if the app gets dumped, but to reload the second you hit the home button is a problem. I know the levels are short, but this needs a save state.

11. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    This game is awesome. "Forcefully deliver a message of kindness," LOL.

12. unormal

Aug 13, 2012
    #92 unormal, May 28, 2015
    This just depends on the device's memory usage, it's not simply guaranteed any time you task switch/hit the home button. Though it is (obviously) possible for the device OS to decide it wants to reclaim it immediately.

As I draw down the memory usage even more for 512mb deviecs in future patches, this should become less frequent. Sorry, it is a bit annoying!

13. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Is this game endless/has replayability ?

14. andsoitgoes

Ah okay, my 6+ has been annoying with that... I'm actually getting to the point of wondering if there's an issue.

On the topic of the virtual controls, I know you have a ton on your plate, but is there any chance those might be movable? Pretty please with cream and sugar on top? :)

15. unormal

Aug 13, 2012
    Lefty/righty swapping has come up enough that it's on the short list for the next patch or two. More mutability than that probably isn't in the books. Though you can choose from a few sizes/styles for the compass in settings.

16. andsoitgoes

Swapping the sides is perfect for me. That's great to hear!

Also, can you tell us what "PC" means in that section? I chose it but was unable to do anything. Oh! Any chance for controller support?

17. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Is this game endless/has replayability ?

18. unormal

Aug 13, 2012
    If you're on a Tablet it will make some controls quite a bit smaller, which looks even better on a very big (monitor-sized) screen. If you're in Phone mode, I don't *think* there's any current difference.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #99 Misguided, May 28, 2015
    Really enjoying this so far in the early going. I've completed the first couple of quests on normal (twice, for the first one). Love the art aesthetic. Lots of personality and charm.

The game is not punishingly difficult on normal if you are a veteran roguelike player, but don't mistake that for easy. I've seen plenty of situations where one wrong move or not having a particular ability would have been the end of me (and it was a couple of times while getting my feet wet). When I did the second quest with the archer, I hardly took any damage, but a couple of situations required me to really stop and think about what was about to happen and could have gotten really ugly in a hurry. (Pro tip: the archer's roll lets you move Through enemies and past slime pools without taking damage).

20. andsoitgoes

That seems to be the case if you choose between phone and tablet mode.

PC mode is selectable under the movement options. The first 3 are for the compass size, the 4th PC (which seems to disable all movement) and then swipe.

Whenever I choose PC, there is no way to actually move.