Universal Sproggiwood (by Freehold Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Need any beta testers for iOS?

2. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    The 10 dungeons number doesn't really matter since they will spend so much time playing through each to beat them with each of the first few character classes. I hope he buys it because as you know I just love your games. It's rare that I want to play the same game on 3 platforms. I've spent more hours playing Sproggiwood than any other game since summertime. Looking forward to playing through the beta's. :D

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #303 zen_mode, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Yeah I've been following Qud as well on r/roguelikes. Will probably pick that up soon as I like open ended RL's that allow a lot of experimentation like CDDA. Is the improved save states coming in the next update? I bought this at launch but haven't been able to really get into it because of this.

Also bringing Qud to iOS would be amazing.

4. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    double this.

5. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    does this have iCloud saves or transfers saves between phone and iPad?

6. PSquared

PSquared Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Definitely can't support this fame, this developer, or Qud. It is a terrible shame too because these types of games are right up my alley. The problem is that when a developer makes promises and fails to keep them you cannot trust them. It may be situational and not an outright lie but it still is not okay.

Within week of release the developer promised to upgrade to support right handed players. He even uploaded pics to this thread showing it was done. He said he would not spend an expedited check to get the patch put fast because he didn't want to waste them. Well we can see he definitely isn't saving them because he plans many, or frequent updates.

He got distracted from his paying customers and the updates he promised in this very thread because he wanted to go to conferences to promote his fame and sell more copies. He got distracted because he wanted to finish Qud for steam. He got distracted because release of his new game on steam had issues. He has many perfectly valid excuses why he refuses to support his paying customers. They are still excuses though and he has failed to support his paying customers with what he promised us. Because he is too busy trying to make money off new frames and new systems.

Now I'm not saying unormal is a bad person or undeserving of credit for what he has created but facts are facts. He put out a Dane needing tweaks. He promised tweaks. He refused to update the game as promised because he was too busy working on a game he thought was mire important then his word and promises.

I hope he someday makes good and shows he cares about his games and customers and that he is not just another predatory developer promising support and not giving it... But so far the fact of the matter is simply that he promised support, didn't deliver in a remotely reasonable timeframe, and IS a predatory developer... At least so far.

I hate using such strong comments against a indie developer but... They are the truth. I respect the people who give unormal credit for cool games... But it's important to give him credit for his failure to live up to his word and support his customers as promised in a timely fashion.

7. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Honest question... (as a right handed person) what change would make it suitable for right handed people? I just bought it and played fr 10 mins but seems ok?

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    lmao

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Just picked this up... And OMG!!! I've only unlocked 4 characters and am on stage 4... But so far, I'm totally diggin it. I can see why it was a $10 'roguelike'. There's a great sense of progression, great battle mechanics and tons of character.

I can see this turning into one of my favorite iOS games.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I second all of this^^^

I love everything about this so far. The village upgrading and whatnot on top of a quirky, original storyline are just icing on the strategic gameplay and solid battle-mechanics.

A+ so far..

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Really happy to see more forum regulars are enjoying this wonderful gem.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    You guys are killing me, I just got this but I want to wait until my new phone arrives.

13. unormal

unormal Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #313 unormal, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    I've been working on the next release of Sproggiwood on an ongoing basis, and it's currently available on Google Play in Beta and on PC. This release includes the lefty-righty swapping you want. The quick turnaround time on those platforms is a real boon for testing, so I've focused there. Apple store has weeks of turnaround for each build, and each time I've posted and iOS beta for app review, I've found a batch of bugs for the beta before approval and I've had to re turn-it-around. The beta so far has left-righty flipping, keyboard & controller support and a boatload of bug fixes.

Since iOS makes it an enormous burden, both in effort and time, to post even minor fixes, I have to be extremely diligent with what I post live on the iOS app-store and I have no QA for Sproggiwood other than myself. When I have the Android beta finally done and complete to a T, I'll update the iOS build and hope that's final. This mobile Beta version is actually the current live update on PC just because Steam is much easier to do release management for than either mobile store. (Here's the Google Play open beta link for Android users out there: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood)

If you want timely, easy access to beta branches, ask Apple why they make it such a pain for developers to beta test compared to any other platform. Believe me, I would have *loved* to give you easy access to a Beta version months ago when lefty-righty support was integrated, like I did for Android and PC users. I'm here to make people happy.

I never promised a time-frame, and I wouldn't, since this is hobby work for me. I'd love to be full time, but the games don't make enough to pay the bills, so I put in what time I can in the evenings and weekends.

Sproggiwood was a team of 3 working for 2.5 years [at PC release, now up to 3.5] and we've sold maybe ~7,000-8,000 copies on mobile. Stores take about a third of that, taxes take a further third... split the leftovers 3 ways... we're not off in Bali lavishing ourselves in ill-gotten gains. I've, frankly, just *barely* made back the cash I put into getting it produced, which came out of my own personal savings. The earnings so far have gone back into replenishing the fund for future game production. I haven't been able to draw a personal paycheck for the game, ever. So there's no fame or wealth going on here.

To be honest, launching 2 full games on 5 platforms in a 10 month window part-time left me a little bedraggled, but I'm certainly not sitting around slacking. :D

On another note; Sproggiwood is 50% off this week (9/27-10/4) on Steam (starting tomorrow), iOS & Google Play (right now)!

e: ...also there's no such thing as an expedited check to spend, you can ask for one, but they're reserved only for really game-breaking issues. I actually asked for a couple during the Sproggiwood post-release cycle, but they were always denied.

14. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Can u consider further optimize this game for iPad 3, 4 in future update. It drains battery like crazy and the game is very sluggish on my iPad 4. Thank you and wish you success in future game.

15. Tweet_moo

Tweet_moo Member

May 31, 2011
    Wow never played this before, just bought it, but now i cant stop playing the game
    Amazing game
    Thanks

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I just purchased Sproggiwood from just reading this post. I wish you well unormal.

Billy

17. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Yeah, reading that, I feel bad people are giving you grief. A lurker from the SA roguelike threads, I'm happy to have double-dipped on this game. Hope it keeps proving profitable!

18. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Just curious if iCloud saves will be added in an update? Thanks!

19. unormal

unormal Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #319 unormal, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Yes, I plan to add cloud saves before calling Sproggiwood 'done', it likely won't be in the short term future, though.

No need for sympathy from that post, we're having a blast making the games, and we're happy with our results so far, just wanted to try to paint a realistic picture of what small-scale indie dev is really like. I earnestly wish I could do more faster, but practically we're working at our maximum capacity. :D

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    No, no sympathy. But from reading what you said, you are the type of developer I would prefer to give my money to. I've been playing and so far I'm really liking it.

Billy