SpriteKit vs Cocos2D

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by alex_p, Aug 27, 2015.

1. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Need a bit of advice...

My first game I done using SpriteKit, now I am tempted to try Cocos2D, is there a big difference, what would be the advantages, is it more complex and what is the learning curve like?

Would really appreciate a little insight here.

2. cadaei

cadaei Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

http://forum.cocos2d-objc.org/t/the-future-of-cocos2d-objc/17549

Cocos2d is floundering a bit after apportable left in May. The spritebuilder editor is likely not going to get anymore updates.

Cocos2d-x is still going strong if you fancy C++

3. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback!

4. I've used both, Cocos2d for my first 3 apps, and spritekit for my latest one. They both have pros and cons, but for me spritekit is coming out ahead at the moment, and as cadaei said, cocos2d will not be developed any further.

Probably the main issue I can see with spritekit is the physics. Don't get me wrong, the physics works, very simple to set up (uses Box2d behind the scenes). But if you need deterministic physics, it might be better to go with Cocos2d... I haven't figured out how to set up a fixed time step in spritekit.

5. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Great thanks for feedback. I used SpriteKit for my first game and found it quite intuitive but also quite basic. Now I am making my second game and a few of the newer features are giving me a headache - like SK3DNode!

I think I will pass on Cocos2D given the feedback above.