iPad Springer - physics platformer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by anduril_ukr, May 2, 2009.

1. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Well, somehow this has not caught the attention of anyone on TA. Springer is a physics platformer that has 13 reviews with an average 4.5 rating. Its been out since March.

Appstore Link - $.199

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Looks ok, wonder how the physics are.
    Any1 willing to TOFFT?

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  4. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Heh I love those big yellow messages.

Springer Explodes!
    Springer Bounces!
    Springer goes Retro!

I'm going to try the lite version first before I buy this one =D

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Weird... I would think there would be a thread on this. It is somewhat popular and showed up on the Top 100 Chart for a little while.

Anyways, I think I should try the lite version and see what this game is all about.

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I believe there's a thread on this...

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    They REALLY need to work on the backgrounds. I mean, if the physics work, great, but I can stand searing my corneas looking at backgrounds featuring neon green and orange.

8. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Personally, I can see how they could appeal to some. It looks somewhat old school, reminds me of classic 2d platformers. But then again, it may seem too old school, not modern or "smooth", if you know what I mean.

9. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    What I find interesting is that there is only one enemy -- red spikey dude. The other obstacles would be directly related to smiley or the level design. Combat has become so central in platformers, this may be a refreshing change to the rule - perhaps like Sway (which has no enemies or combat).

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Humorously enough I was just about to make a topic after spending way too much time last night playing the lite version of this game (had to stay home...my cat was sick :()

Anyway, I found the lite version just...wow. Addicting. It's got the timing based platforming that I love in games like PapiJump and Doodle Jump, but it's also got that depth to the control of the player character (and the learning curve that goes with it) that games like Sway and Rasta Monkey have. It's a rather nice balance, IMHO.

The player's task it to get to the green flag in the level. Seems simple enough, but with Springer the platforming gameplay, as said, is both timing based and control based. Springer, being a spring, bounces as you move, and so going from one platform to another requires precision and the appropriate momentum. You can overshoot close platforms if your momentum is too fast, and you can undershoot further platforms if too slow. If the character falls from too high a ledge, he will be destroyed in a rather amusingly agonizing way: bursting apart, with the springs that make up his body flying in different directions.

The game is controlled by both the accelerometer and touch screen. The accelerometer is used to move Springer backwards and forwards, with the touch screen used to grab onto platforms and the ground by touching the area onto which you wish to grab. When grabbing onto a platform either ahead or above, Springer will be pulled towards the direction of said platform. If timed correctly, the pull will have just the right amount of energy as to launch him further. When grabbing the ground as he bounces, Springer will be pulled to the ground faster, and this in turn will make him bounce higher off the ground. Again, though, this is all timing based. There is a narrow window of opportunity to get the best "pull/launch", and that is where the depth of the controls come into play.

Of course, what would the somewhat unique control interface and the depth be without the appropriate level design to take advantage of it all? Thankfully, level design is where the game truly shines. Yes the levels themselves are simplistic, but the uncluttered aspect actually makes for some exciting jumps as some gaps might be further than others. One must use the right combination of accelerometer controlled momentum with the touch screen grabs to build up enough "bounce" to launch Springer higher and further, and while doing this try to be as precise as possible. The design ups the ante a bit as it mixes different sized gaps, and even horizontal and vertical platforming in some levels and by doing so always keeps the player on his/her toes.

Such gameplay creates an enjoyable frustration at times. It's not frustrating in the way that games with awful controls are, in which I feel like throwing the controller or device at the wall because the game is unfair; the controls are implemented very well in Springer. Rather I get angry because I screwed up the timing on a jump or a pull/launch, or missed a platform because I just tilted the device way too much.

I could go on about graphics (which are actually pretty nice, despite not showing off the platform's power), or the music, or the character itself (Springer, IMHO, is a memorable character based on design alone), but, really, the game is focused so much on giving good gameplay that I found myself focusing just on control, just on the sheer gameplay that I might have overlooked or even ignored some things others might find fault with in terms of presentation spit and polish. That said, I stand by my opinion:

I rank Springer right up there with Rasta Monkey, Sway, Doodle Jump and the Papi platformer games as a shining example of platforming goodness on the iTouch/Phone. Must play.

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 14, 2009
    TouchArcade monkey.
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, gotta admit never even heard of this one. But looks like something that's right up my alley, I'm gonna give the lite a spin. Thanks for the heads up Anduril and great impressions Spiffy. Where would I be without TA? :)

12. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Nice in-depth write up, spiffy.

I wish there was a video... there's not even one on the developer's website or YouTube page...

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Another hidden gem like WWII Alone. Someone took Doodle Jump and made a platformer out of it, and added the spring pull mechanic. Only wish you could move as much and as fast as in Doodle Jump

Could someone make a vid for other folks?

14. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    After trying out the lite - I must say, its a great hidden gem. It is close to amazing, but a couple things hold it back. It is difficult to grab onto things - the main draw back. You want the spring to do this - it does that. It is somewhat confusing about reasons behind certain things (he goes really far sometimes when it seems like the same spring length/timing as when he went really short). But other than those few drawbacks, its an excellent platformer. Its all about latching out to things and then springing up toward, or onto something else from there. The levels are varied, and the platformer feels polished. You should definitely try out the lite. Great game - close to excellent.