Spotify app submitted

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lord-sam, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Finally, an app for the music streaming service has been submitted to Apple to await approval.

Spotify has submitted its first iPhone app to Apple, and hopes to have its streaming music service on the mobile phone within the week.

According to the BBC, Spotify has finally submitted its eagerly awaited app to Apple, and will now suffer the nervous wait over approval.

The service has been a roaring success since it arrived in the UK, offering a wealth of music for no cost – using adverts within the streamed music to fund itself.

The iPhone application apparently offers the same functionality as you'd find on the desktop version, but with the extra option of saving songs onto your mobile for offline listening.

You can also stream and download playlists from other users, which means if you live in a dodgy connection area your tune loving won't be affected.

Paid for

A paid for option offers the service ad-free, and Spotify has indicated that it will be premium subscriptions only that will be able to use the service on their iPhones, although early developer versions of the application show it working free with advertisements, similar to the desktop version.

However, the application is far from assured of getting through the Apple vetting process – especially as it does not offer people the opportunity to buy tracks from iTunes.

"It's going to be very interesting to see if Apple lets this through or sees us as competition — fingers crossed," Spotify communications manager Jim Butcher told Wired.

A similar version is said to be in the pipeline for the Android OS, and it seems the likelihood of that hinges on whether the iPhone model proves to be a success.

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=148806987

2. Warzun

Warzun Member

May 8, 2009
    It's now out in the app store. Also an android version has been released too.

It's excellent. The sound quality is high and the cached songs sync well. I've stored a 100 songs so far effortlessly and they stay on the phone for 30 days. You can just resync them if you want the playlist again.

I'm sure when Spotify rolls out to the US later in the year this will be bigger news for a lot of people who are wondering what the hell is spotify.

3. AceSh00t

AceSh00t Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Does anyone know if you can use 1 spotify account on 2 iphones??

4. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    very impressed with the iphone version.

A very good library, quick search and downloads very quickly and seamlessly within the app. Trying it for one month on premium and see how it goes.

5. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    This is brilliant, unlimited music, offline playlists, great quality.

This could easily mean I delete my existing music and just listen to it through Spotify. Frees up loads of room on my Touch.

6. StuartJJones

StuartJJones Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I upgraded to a premium account purely for this app, and I'm sure many others will be as well.

So far I'm impressed. It's fast, music sounds great, and I've got a hell of a lot more room for games on my iPhone :p

Only annoying thing is that if you're used to the integration of the iPod application (that is, double tap the home button to bring up the menu) you're going to miss that. Still, it's not too much of a price to pay for a great service!

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Absolutely amazing app - well worth the subscription too; I particularly like that you can synch your songs so you can listen to them offline. My initial concern with this app was the bandwidth but you can just select albums/tracks at home, synch via WiFi then set the app to offline mode when you're out of your WiFi zone and listen to all of your downloaded music.

Jamie.

8. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    been using it now for 2 days, and only a few issues.

There seems to be a memory leak if you do searches and secondly, unlike the PC version if you select an album and want to add it to a new playlist you can't. You have to setup and name the playlist first, whereas the PC one will automatically create one based on the artist/album name

still good stuff though, found some music I haven't listened to for years !

9. Ooo...shiny

Ooo...shiny Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Chemist
    Bay Area
    So I have been using spotify open in the U.S. for a couple of years now (I used a UK proxy to get an account) and since it is being opened to people in America now is it possible to change my country without having to open a new account?