iPad Sports Titles

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rjsim, Nov 20, 2008.

1. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I enjoy sports games - especially baseball, basketball and football. Unfortunately, there isn't a wide selection of those sports. Sure, there is Backyard Baseball and the LED Basketball & Football (which I enjoy), but I'm looking for something more.

I would be happy even if they were "mini-games" of the sport. For example, a home run derby or field goal contest or 3-point contest game.

There's several bowling, fishing, golf and racing apps, but not really from the fore-mentioned sports. Anybody else feel my same sentiment?

2. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Definitely! We need some arcade style games. Developers?

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #3 RPGGuy, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    I am going to work on basketball. :)

4. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    #4 rjsim, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    Any information you can share with us?

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I am just getting started on the design. I'll let you know more when I have a working prototype. It's going to be a full 3D 3 on 3 game, not just a shooting minigame.

6. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    That would be awesome! Please make the player movements realistic and from 3D i suppose, will it have NBA Live standard gameplay??

7. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    That sounds AWESOME! Any price tag..? :D

There is a small arcade shooter by SkyNetworks (creaters of ESPN Cameraman!) called Arcade Hoops for 1.99. It SHOULD really be 0.99, but it's quite fun for a casual game.
    Oh yea, it's one of those arcade basketball one's. They have a global high scoreboard and a progressive mode where the backboard moves forward and backward.

8. Scutty

Scutty Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Uk
    I would also really like to see more sports games (not Mini-game ones).

Being from the uk im really into football games (soccer), i know that Real Football 2009 is out which looks cool but would also like too see the likes of FIFA 09 and PES 09, these are out on other mobiles so why not iPhone.

Also i saw on gameloft website the makers on Real FOotball 09 .. they have a game called Real Football Manager 09 for other phones i would also really like to this one come to the iphone, :)

big fan of Football Manager from sports interactive, so this would be good sub for when on the go!..away from pc.:D

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's going to be a big game so probably $7-10. I estimate it will take 2-3 months to make.

10. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I'm sitting on a sport title idea, know any talented developers in need of a big money making project? PM me!

11. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Our full line of Flick Sports titles is underway.

We've had great success with Flick Bowling and Flick Fishing (both which are getting a hefty update of the features fans have been asking for).

And our new Flick Sports titles are underway. I can't say much, but they are looking nice. They should be announced soon.

12. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    I'm going to urge the Marketing guys to make some announcements soon. Things are looking good.

13. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Burn the midnight oil!!

Dude, burn the mid-night oil to make it really good re graphics and gameplay. Stick in some WIFI multi play and I will even travel around marketing it for you via word of mouth!!

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Some might take exception to your implicit exclusion of soccer and tennis :D

The best in these two areas wrt overall use of the iphones power and potentials are:

Real Soccer &
    Touch Sport Tennis

I don't see a real quality golf game out there yet, but EA's Tiger Woods should be stepping up to the plate soon.

I would love to see a rich baseball/basketball game (graphics and gameplay), but I am dubious as these are complex team sports wrt player interaction, but we'll see...

15. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I hope developers are seeing these comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way!

16. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Frankly, if quality sports games were released, I'd give up my PSP since that is what I mainly play on it. Someone needs to do a really high quality basketball title; there are none on the DS or PSP.

17. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    We just released Smack Boxing a few days ago - a Punch Out like sports title with lots of humor. Dont expect realistic sports, but cartoon style fun.

See video and screenshots in the links below

/Thomas

18. jazzy911

jazzy911 Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I got All Stars Darts today. I'm not a big darts fan or anything but its a really cool little game and is the type of perfect 10 minute game I like to play on my iPhone. Good use of touch to throw the darts, some colorful characters and the audio is really funny.

It will be interesting to see how things like madden and NHL do when they come to iPhone. I rarely play for more than 10 minutes at a time and those games require that you're sitting down for a while. Stuff like All Stars Darts and Flick Bowling are cool as you can play them for a short time. So for me I'd rather have ten smaller sports games for a dollar than one big one for $9.99

19. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    #19 HandheldGames, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Over at Handheld Games - we launched our first title - TouchSports Tennis '09™ last week and it is the first of many sports titles in the TouchSports™ line.

While initially on the iPhone, our titles are in the process of going on to many platforms in digital and traditional distribution methods.

We are taking a Console style approach to our titles, leveraging our past EA Sports experiences, on new today's new platforms. Ive been on enery major Portable Entertainment platform since the Lynx and with the iPhone/iPod touch, I've never seen games come together so quickly.

Beyond the cool 3D visuals and expressive character animation, one of my favorite features is our Quickplay™. Start the game. Press one menu item and your immediately in the action.

Our team is dedicated, our tech is pushing the platform, and were having a great time making fun games for the new era of the iPhone!

Thx!
    HHG

20. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    All Star Darts vs iDarts vs Darts

Have you tried iDarts or Darts (both of which were/may still be free) as a comparison?