[SPOILERS] Spider 2 - Mystery Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SPAMBOT, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Sometimes when you're stuck, you just need to go out for a smoke and think. ;)

2. somnambulor

somnambulor Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    #162 somnambulor, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Are you talking about my question? It was
    the smoking room, room on the right on a rainy day.

Yeah, I replayed the first one, too. You get to see the
    other ticket that's in the trunk in the secret closet in the guest bedroom

3. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #163 ErikTheRed, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Amazingly, the historical society did finally reply. They were very helpful indeed. And with the additional help of some very generous locals, I've completed that page. That was amazing! Hats off to Tiger Style for this entire experience. It is a lot of legwork, but do-able, even working solo.

However, some things still don't quite add up.

And above all secrecy.

4. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    Erik:

Congratulations! Honestly, I found some of the answers, like the date of the will, but it was Subrom who organized the reddit thread that got us those dates.

I noticed the key, too. I don't know if that means the key is backward (which doesn't matter since we don't have the whole thing, or any of it at all for all we know), or if it means the text is backwards (either in its entirety or mirror writing (backwards line by line). When taken as mirror writing, the ciphertext doesn't have any repeated sequences, but it has two when the whole text is backwards or forwards. That leads me to believe that the key is backwards. The key with the missing piece in the game could be for this text, or it could be for something else that you discover in Vermont. I've tried the pieces of the key that we have in a cracking site that lets you use partial keys and sort of guess at the rest but I've never been able to get any clear text to emerge. I've tried the pieces of the key we have forwards, backwards and each way I've tried it on the ciphertext forwards, backwards, mirror writing, every third letter forwards, backwards, mirror, etc. No luck. There's a chance that it's using more than one type of encryption, like the earlier documents mention. Or, maybe the key with the missing piece in the game decrypts pieces of the papers from before that the TELARO key didn't? That's where I'm headed next.

I've also been playing the game trying to figure out where/how to get the last piece of the key. It seems to be Ellen (or Eleanor) Malvina Brooks with letters missing.

Anyone else made any more progress?

5. Subrom

Subrom Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    #165 Subrom, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Nope. Still stuck.... Although I have enjoyed reading books about Vermont geneaology and gravestone markings and also enjoyed listening to music composed by the count.... But enjoying is not the same as solving ;-)
    Here is something pleasant I found in my roundabout internet travels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwYDR68pkc

6. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #166 ErikTheRed, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    And above all secrecy.

7. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

No luck here either. Tried all the combos I could think of. I was hoping our "mutual friend" would be more active with his emails but alas I've only had the one.

8. Archibaldovitch

Archibaldovitch Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Paris, France
    I didn't have lots of time these two last weeks, but i tried something. During your researches, you must have read the name of Iona Miller. She is a writer who made a big work about Saint Germain and other mysteries, and with facebook, i asked her about TELARO and NOTAMARGATET words. She told me these are anagrams and invocation words to give life to a golem, or something like that... I don't know if it has a link with our story, what do you guys think ?

9. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    Tetragrammaton is the true name
    Of Yahweh, used to give life. A lot of the Masonic ritual words are Hebrew and Latin words either backwards or anagrammed. Notamargatet certainly has a role in the story.

10. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #170 ErikTheRed, Oct 4, 2015
    And above all secrecy.

11. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    The hard part is that we don't really know it's a Vigenere cipher. It probably is, but if it's not,
    If it's only supposed to be deciphered once you get that book or are in Vermont, we may be out of luck. I'm still betting it is though.

12. Archibaldovitch

Sep 2, 2015
    Paris, France
    Music knowledge, a travel to Vermont, esoteric rituals, the Tetragram... This ARG is going really far. And in a very classy way, don't you think ?

13. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    I just noticed that the upper left corner of papers_5 is visible on the qoesco page "The Reform" with the library and the orange triangle image near the top. I'm looking for maybe more clues to what might help us solve the cipher.

14. Subrom

Subrom Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    #174 Subrom, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Ahhhh.... interesting. This was updated sometime recently (maybe after the equinox). I have been saving the html source of these pages and it was previously a "holdings.html" placeholder and is now a "holdings.gif" image.

Perhaps, due to the name, there may be a clue in the ledger that this is directly below. I have always wondered why part of the ledger title is blacked out....
    EDIT: ...and that ledger is definitely in the current library: http://www.worldcat.org/title/inventory-of-real-estate-stocks-and-mortgages-1882-aug-1/oclc/773089732

EDIT2: ...and jumping out at me is the "Leavenworth mortgage" which may indeed relate to a property. I found this guy that seems to be from the right time and place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_E._Leavenworth
    A bit of history with the areas schools and "Academy"

And final EDIT3: this mighty tome of a book refers to the Brattleboro Academy (formerly Melrose Seminary moved from Marlboro) where Leavenworth started a boys school for a time. https://archive.org/stream/annalsofbrattleb00cabo#page/n7/mode/2up
    RANDY: I have found this book in my previous travels but only now see the significance on page 9. A photo of Frederick Holbrook and edited by Mary R. Cabot. with a Kipling quote to boot! coincidence maybe???

15. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #175 ErikTheRed, Oct 6, 2015
    And above all secrecy.

16. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    Any of you guys have a theory about he butler? He's involved, obviously. My theory is that he was in love with the red shoes woman. My tentative theory is that he was either the faithful servant of the brothers, helping them dig up bodies and out rocks in coffins, or he wasn't initiated and freaked out and thought they were hurting people or the woman or something or both. Also there's the kid P. Fenn. I wonder if there was rivalry between the Bryce child and P Fenn? Still working....

17. somnambulor

Aug 18, 2015
    #177 somnambulor, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    I was deciphering as much of the four papers last night and came across the passage that says "Do the third purpose whenever, but do the first two at certain times, when the moon, sun, earth are aligned (new moon). It also says that
    in your dwelling you may have a chamber to observe the first purpose for knowledge and a chamber to observe the sec1ond purpose for retention and a chamber to observe the third purpose for vitality where you enjoy music you may obtain the score six sonatas for two violins by the empyreal knyght composed with symbolic significance
    . So I would think that the organ does involve the
    Third Purpose
    but that might just be, you know, solving the mansion's mysteries. A little research reveals that
    Comte de St. Germain did compose music, including sonatas for two violins.

18. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

19. Subrom

Subrom Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    I have tried many different things with that. The different keys of the six pieces are FBEGGA.... No luck and others have tried multiple permutations of this. It was the BEGGA part that led me down the path of the gregorian chants for Saint Begga I posted earlier. No luck there either.

20. Archibaldovitch

Sep 2, 2015
    Paris, France
    Maybe playing them during new moon activates something