Universal Spoiler Alert (By Tinybuild)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2014.

1. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Oh hi

We've been thinking about that, trying to find some good real-time multiplayer games on iOS -- to snoop around and see how well they work.

There are ways to simplify the controls, but the burning question is online multiplayer and how to integrate it.

Does anyone know of any examples?

2. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    It would be a total hit on ios

3. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
    It _could_, the issue with multiplayer focused games is the online population

As soon as nobody is playing your game online, the game is dead

It's called "The Curse of Indie Multiplayer" and we've been fighting it since launch. You really need that critical mass that constantly plays the game online.

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm not big on online multiplayer in action games on iOS, but I think a few FPS games have low latency multiplayer, server based I assume.

You're probably right though, it's unfortunate but getting Speedrunners multiplayer right on iOS might be more trouble than it's worth. Still, it's great to see that you guys are interested in developing for this platform.

5. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
    It's always interesting. With games like Spoiler Alert it's straightforward - a single player confined experience, you can have hooks to top charts and other async stuff and not worry about it.

But with games like SpeedRunners it goes into dependency hell. Who handles the matchmaking? Do we allow people on 4g play? How do we handle their transition from 4g to slower 3g? With wi-fi it's already incredibly unreliable (mostly because people don't upgrade their routers, but keep on buying more devices).

I actually believe input is the least of our worries. It's everything in regards to getting into a match seamlessly and being able to play.

6. RaveofRavendale

Dec 10, 2014
    I think other tinyBuild games are logistically a better fit for mobile than SpeedRunners -- Fearless Fantasy especially. Spoiler Alert made complete sense, of course, given that it's a one-touch game

7. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Great idea for a game, lots of fun, but a little on the short side - and it's a great shame about the blurry graphics. If this was retina sharp, it would be gorgeous. As it is, it looks pretty lousy. Still fun though.

8. JeffJensen

JeffJensen New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Thanks, I'm glad you seemed to have fun!

We have been made aware about the fuzzyness on some devices, and I hope we can look into getting this resolved in updates, because obviously we didn't want it to look this way!

As for the length, we will be adding more content to the game. The desktop version of Spoiler Alert features a level editor, and we will take some of the best user-made levels and make an entire user-made world out of them, so you'll be playing levels made by other players.

We will also expand the game with original content developed in-house so the game will be longer!

9. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Great, that sounds awesome!! :)

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well, I bought this game upon release and the holidays got the best of me, I forgot all about it. Tonight I've been playing it quite a bit and was compelled enough to put this up on iTunes:

"At first sight I thought this game looked very gimmicky.

I've completed world one now and there's two more to go plus bonus material. I've unlocked some really cool achievements and had some challenging runs.

So, the whole "gimmick" thing? No. Spoiler Alert deserves its spot on my device and it feels very unique and well designed/developed by some excellently capable indies.

Great job, great game!

Richard"

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I read today's front page article that mentioned tinyBuild's forthcoming IOS releases that look quite interesting, so I downloaded this game. I am glad I did. It is fun and a cool concept. Recommended!

12. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I've completed this awhile ago. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing any content before I delete it. I've beat all of the main levels and the bonus Mexican world. Other than the speed run is there anything left to play? I see mentions of a level editor on their website. Is that only for the PC version?

13. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
  14. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Yes ! Thanks a lot
    But I have a little pb !
    i own an Iphone 6 with last updated ios (no jailbreak) and there's no sound ? Is it normal ?

15. sarfa

sarfa Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    I've occasionally had the same problem with various games, and what almost always fixed it was rebooting my phone. Try it and let me know if it worked.

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just picked this up after picking up divide by sheep. Really, really like it. Not at it's graphical best on my iPad so I'll stick on my phone tomorrow but excellent one touch game with pretty cool concept. The backwards thing still makes me smile. I'll go back to divide by sheep and fearless fantasy after this.