Universal Splendor (By Days of Wonder)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. zeratulo

zeratulo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2014
    As is this

2. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Not a very enjoyable game unfortunately, maybe just my gaming preferences.

3. carldec

carldec New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    The folks at my local gaming shop are running lots of tournaments and for The last few months the people in my board gaming group have been playing this almost every Wednesday. I played the tabletop version 8-10 times and it's a well balanced and fun board game from one of the better board game companies. I think that six bucks is a fair price especially if they're promising an upgrade to multiplayer for free.

4. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    It's a very simplified engine builder. For what it is, it's very good. This is a glorified filler, and there's nothing wrong with that. For those wanting a meatier engine builder, I'd recommend Agricola or Le Havre.

5. a_fortunate_fool

a_fortunate_fool New Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I haven't found that to be the case at all.

It does drain the battery and heat up the phone a bit, but that seems to be the norm rather then the exception these days.

6. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Exactly, it's a beer and pretzel game.

7. bleeps

bleeps Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 23, 2011
    There are a number of other 6 plus reviews on the App Store that also have this problem. Not sure why only some of use are affected.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Not have the game yet, still on fence.

As for the (async, please) MP, if it goes down the path of Small World, you get it for free. Fingers crossed

If it goes down the path of TtR, which you are having a separate version for that, I am not buying.

9. addictor

addictor Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    This game really need a multy player edition, other wise it not worth the money !

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    ToR was different because it came out before universal apps existed. So the iPad version has live multiplayer and the iPhone version async and live multi. But I don't remember paying extra for it.

11. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Just wanted to say that I was on the fence about this app due to the (lack of!) theme.

Since I've bought it I haven't played any other card game on my ipad, and I love my card games so I have them all; I'm finding it to be an excellent game.

12. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    It won't let me connect to my DaysDaysOfWonder account - as my account is associated with my Facebook account, and this isn't offered as an option.

Looks a bit squashed up on my iPhone 5C, but I do love playing the board game Splendor, so this will let me get my fix on my bus trips in to work.

Recommended if you like the board game. If you don't know the game or don't appreciate the game, then your best to save your money.

13. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I see this isn't a particularly active thread, but I have to try: has anyone been able to solve the final puzzle of the St. Petersburg pack? I really hate these predetermined card draw setups. No matter what I do, I either:

- have the proper amount of chips to buy the 2 Prestige Point card, but I'm out of turns to do so, or
    - end up 1 chip short of being able to purchase the 2 PP card

I wrote down all my steps to get there, and the order of all the cards that come out, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to still have access to 5 black chips (and/or 4 black chips and the Wild) by the end of the round.

14. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Never mind, I finally figured it out - the key is to reserve one of the initial four cards that costs a Red. This gets a Red card out faster, allowing you to discount more Red cost than you otherwise would have been able to playing normally. This lets you squeak out enough chips to win on the last turn.

15. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Is it my imagination, or is this game draining my battery?

Also, come on Devs. Give us internet multiplayer support. I play Small World that way and it works perfectly.

16. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I am having problems with this game on my new iPad Pro. Anyone else having this issue? The screen blacks out when the hands start out and I cannot play the game at all.

17. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    There's been an update, but still no online multiplayer.

18. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    If I love Jaipur and Harald, will I like this?

19. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #39 vectorarchitekt, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    This game is a battery killer, even with the extra settings off.

20. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    I hate to sound like a broken record but... this was also removed from the appstore.