Universal SPL-T (By Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 23, 2015.

1. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Very nice game, but I think I'm too dumb for it.

2. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Here's all the messages by date :

Malmö 21125 September 3 1982
    I am -
    Every other I - Am I
    Please conf-rm contact
    Split spl-t split spl-t
    Split spl-t split spl-t
    Anyone

Malmö 21125 September 9 1982
    At last contact establ-shed
    Crosses work
    Splits a m-racle
    Who you

Malmö 21125 October 13 1982
    Split feels like we fr-ends forever
    Spl-t was meant to be
    Crosses only telecom
    Perhaps meet in spl-tside

Malmö 21125 November 29 1982
    Wait-ng
    On your way to splits-de yet
    Goodluck love you madly

Malmö 21125 December 13 1982
    Final contact
    As long as we both spl-t
    we stay connect
    perhaps when days are over
    We meet in spl-tside

On the dates, I don't know, but Malmö 211 25 is where Simogo is located, on their "about" page :
    Östergatan 21
    211 25 Malmö
    SWEDEN

3. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

Due to the lack of any random factors in the game, there's got to be a highest possible score, right? Or a method to ultimately keep going forever. Maybe this is the key to reaching 'splitside'? I dunno, just a thought.

4. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Still trying to grasp the mechanics, makes more sense each time I play.
    I sometimes get 2 of the smallest squares near the bottom that won't get a number despite being surrounded on all sides with numbered squares.

Could a sound toggle option be added in the next update? Thanks!

5. Benste

Benste Active Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I'm not sure if anyone has found this yet. (Clicking to reveal spoilers isn't working on my phone for some reason)

Malmö 21125 is mentioned in a message, and that's a city and area code in Sweden.

This game is so fun and mysterious!! I can't wait to figure it out!

6. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Simogo are based in Malmo (tap the Simogo copyright at the top of the main screen), so it could just be that, although after all the hidden things found in this game I'm hoping it's more!

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Spooners don't show for me too, it have to tap "quote" and then the outo reply box shows them.

8. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    This looks like a game from David Mondou-Labbe.

9. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I hope there is more than what we found out already.

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I’m sure there must be something bigger hidden within the game. The installed size is over 100MB, and there’s no way that a few simple graphics and a couple of chiptunes would take up anywhere near this much space.

11. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    #51 D4rgolf, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    I haven't put too much time into it yet, but from what I've played so far, it seems as if the "main" game (not the weird balancing minigame - I have no idea what that does yet) is completely trivial, i.e. solvable.
    There is no luck or RNG involved and a sufficient program should be able to calculate where to place your splits for maximum score.

I can't imagine Simogo being oblivious to this fact - hence they put it like this for a reason - so there is probably something to gain by going down this route.

I'm not that well versed in programming so I'd be happy to see someone smarter than me try their hands on the logic behind the puzzle.

EDIT:
    Sorry, SPAMBOT. Couldn't read your spoiler in the mobile app. But I'm happy to see another person suggest the same thing.

12. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    As a programmer at first I thought the game would be easily solvable by a computer, but the more I played I realized the rules add a LOT of complexity (especially things like the gravity drops where point values get halved) that would make coming up with a truly optimal solution very tricky. Not saying it's not possible, just saying it'd be hard.

I haven't figured out what use the secret messages have, but there may be something that unlocks in the game at certain scores. I know from following the devs on twitter that a score of 100k is possible in the main game, so if there is a score threshold, I bet that's it.

I feel like 1000 might be possible in the second game with a lot of skill/luck, but right now my best score is only 215

13. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've just read an interview with Simogo’s Simon Flesser on Kotaku and he says that the highest score he’s seen to date is 200,000. :eek:

14. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Makes my 5k highly embarrassing :)

15. Derpalicious

Derpalicious New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Which would mean that they are tracking our scores, even without Gamecenter integration right? Maybe there is a threshold where our collective scores unlock more content? All to say, I am OBSESSED with figuring out the puzzle behind the puzzle in Spl-t. God I love you Simogo. :D

16. JojoP

JojoP New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Peeking inside the game ipa

I enjoyed the game, my current high score is 10422/167. Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked inside the ipa file.

What I found is a mild spoiler. For those who hate spoilers, it is not a big deal. You should skip it. :)

Mild spoiler 1:
    The game's written in Unity. That's why the app is so large compared to the complexity of the game.

Mild spoiler 2:
    I only found evidence of one hidden asset that people haven't discovered yet. If you're curious, look at Payload/puzzler.app/global-metadata.dat, near the text for all the hidden messages that we've already found.

17. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #57 ElectricGrandpa, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Just had a look myself and to be honest it's hard to tell whether there is more there or not. Unity stores the bulk of its resources in the ".assets" files, not in plain files that are easy to read... but even extracting the .assets it'd be hard to know for sure whether you missed something. Oh and since the game is compiled with IL2CPP it's not possible to easily decompile it into readable code like you used to be able to do with Unity games :p

So yeah, I think there could still be some stuff hidden in there!

18. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #58 J.R. Jalapeno, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    I just got a little over 47,000. Loving the game. It definitely has that one more try aspect. Seems so easy in theory #. Let's hope we get Game Center (even though bogus scores will show up ) I hate that #

19. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Im still not sure what I'm doing or why, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it...

20. waystar

waystar Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I just tried to set the date on my iPhone to the date in the last message to see what would happen. I'm on IOS 9, the date thing goes crazy before 2000. Great game, still trying to work out the logic!